Does His refer to His Majesty? A humourous usage?

Reply Tue 29 May, 2012 10:29 pm

Context:

Nomination His, Romney Steps Up Attack on Obama

More:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/30/us/politics/romney-sealing-nomination-steps-up-attack-on-obama.html?hp
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 506 • Replies: 4
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
roger

Reply Tue 29 May, 2012 10:56 pm
@oristarA,
Neither. Probably bad typesetting.
0 Replies

MontereyJack
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 29 May, 2012 11:09 pm
No. It's a headline. Headline Speak is very terse and compact, because they're bigger than the body type, so you can't get many words in. It also starts all words with capital letters, so it doesn't necessarily refer to something normally capitalized like His Majesty. It is just a short way of saying Romney now has enough votes to win the nomination, it belongs to him, i.e. Nomination His, so now what does he do next?
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 29 May, 2012 11:11 pm
No. It's a headline. Headline Speak is very terse and compact, because they're bigger than the body type, so you can't get many words in. It also starts all words with capital letters, so it doesn't necessarily refer to something normally capitalized like His Majesty. It is just a short way of saying Romney now has enough votes to win the nomination, it belongs to him, i.e. Nomination His, so now what does he do next? Mitt, being an idiot, attacks Obama (what kind of dad would name his son for a baseball glove?)
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 29 May, 2012 11:15 pm
Thank you.
0 Replies