that or without that

Reply Tue 29 May, 2012 10:16 pm
If I remove "that" in the following sentence, will it be still clear and fine?

Context:
The green apples taste sour, but David has decided to give them to his roommates, regardless that they would surely complain.

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 06:04 am
@oristarA,
I had to reread the sentence over and over again. Initially, the changed sentence seemed to have worked in conversational terms. But after reading the sentence after the amputated "that" again and again, something didn't necessarily click right with its removal.

I would hazard a guess and say keep that in the sentence.
oristarA

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 07:13 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

I had to reread the sentence over and over again. Initially, the changed sentence seemed to have worked in conversational terms. But after reading the sentence after the amputated "that" again and again, something didn't necessarily click right with its removal.

I would hazard a guess and say keep that in the sentence.

Thank you.
It seems that it should add more:
... regardless of the fact that they would surely complain.
Word economy is not applied to here. Clarity rules.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 08:21 am
@oristarA,
What seems to be missing is the clarification action to the apples that would cause the roommates to complain about if the action has taken place.

The green apples taste sour, but David has decided to give them to his roommates, regardless that they would surely complain if the apples were thrown into the trash can.
oristarA

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 08:46 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

What seems to be missing is the clarification action to the apples that would cause the roommates to complain about if the action has taken place.

The green apples taste sour, but David has decided to give them to his roommates, regardless that they would surely complain if the apples were thrown into the trash can.

Hmmm? tsarstepan, I have had a hunch that you're not a native English speaker.
Am I on the right track?

Joe Nation
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 09:11 am
Quote:
The green apples taste sour, but David has decided to give them to his roommates, regardless that they would surely complain.

The green apples taste sour, but David has decided to give them to his roommates, regardless of the fact that they will surely complain.

The green apples taste sour, but David has decided to give them to his roommates, even though they will surely complain.

The green apples taste sour, but David has decided to give them to his roommates, even though he knows they will bitch and moan while eating them. (or) ...while eating all of them.

The green apples taste sour, but David has decided to give them to his roommates, knowing they would complain or maybe because he knew they would complain.

~~
I've never heard anybody said this before or since, but once I heard a woman in Arkansas say "Those cherries are sour enough to give the whole town fishmouth."

Joe(hmmmphh. 'nees are thsour!)Nation

oristarA

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 08:20 pm
@Joe Nation,
Excellent!
Thank you Joe.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 02:40 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

Am I on the right track?

Sadly I am a native speaker of the English language.
oristarA

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 09:37 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

oristarA wrote:

Am I on the right track?

Sadly I am a native speaker of the English language.

Thanks for correcting.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 07:29 pm
@oristarA,

Again, Ori, an active verb doesn't match here with 'it', which refers to the sentence; they are seen as inanimate to English speakers, so they cannot add something to themselves.

It seems that it should have more added:
oristarA

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 08:04 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Again, Ori, an active verb doesn't match here with 'it', which refers to the sentence; they are seen as inanimate to English speakers, so they cannot add something to themselves.

It seems that it should have more added:

Thank you JTT.
0 Replies