British history :D

Reply Sun 27 May, 2012 12:00 pm
1/ When George, Elector of Hanover, acceded to the British throne is 1714 as King George I, he was not universally accepted. Why not?
A. He was not Protestant
B. He was not fluent in English
C. He was illegitimate
D. He was actually French
(Actually I think it's C due to my elimination of the others 3, but I don't know how to explain my choice)

2/ During the English Civil War in the 17th century, King Charles I received suppit from the Catholics (True/ False? Why?)
I guess it's true but don't know the reason

3/ What does Thatcher's political and economic philosophy emphasize?
A. education and health care
B. culture and religion
C. free market and entrepreneurialsm
D. immigration and warfare
I think it's C

4/ A group of ministers invited by the Prime Minister to attend regular meetings to discuss policies is the _____
I think it's the Cabinet Ministers

5/ It was during Henry VIII's reign that the Reformation took place, and his break with the Roman Church was an issue of religious belief (True/ False? Why?)
I think it's False because the King just wanted to divorce but the Pope refused, so Henry ended contact with the Church

6/ The British are often considered to be mostly Anglo- Saxon (True/ False? Why?)
I think it's true but not know how to explain

Thanks so much Very Happy

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 27 May, 2012 01:41 pm
@koreagunba,
#1 is B -- George could barely speak a word of English. The court at Westmister was German-speaking for amny years

#2 -- Well, geez, if you think it's true then there's only one possible reason: the Catholics who supported him expected (or at least hoped) he would re-instate Catholocism as a legal religion in England, perhaps even the State religion. King Henry VIII had outlawed it, his daughter Mary brought it back, then the next queen, Elizabeth I, outlawed it again and itremained illegal under James I who had succeeded Elizabth. Use yer freakin' head, kid!

#3 You're right. It's C

#4 It's usually referred to just as "the Cabinet."

#5 No matter what the underlying causes, the statement as such is true. Again, use your head, but try not to overthink it.

On that last one, I don'tknow just what your teacher is looking for or what you were taught during theschool term. It's almost a trick question. It's true that today most persons claiming to be British are thought of as Anglo-Saxon. But historically, of course, that's nonsense. One has to differentiate between the British who were a Celtic people living on those off-shore islands when the Romans came in and took most of what today is England over as the province of Britannia. In the early 5th Century c.e. they pulled out again so as to mass their militaryforces in mainland Europe to defend the rest of the Empire against barbarian invasions. The ancestors of the Anglo-Saxons then came in. These were Germanic tribes of Angles, Saxons, Jutes and others who eventually took over as rulers. The true British culture pretty much disapeared. But I'd be careful how I present all this, not quite undertsanding just how your teacher has phrased this question.

Good luck!

Setanta

Reply Sun 27 May, 2012 09:44 pm
Catholics who supported Charles Stuart would not have been stupid enough to believe that Catholicism would be re-established. Charles had gotten in the fix he was in from trying to impose the Episcopal religion on Scotland, and having been defeated, being obliged to go hat in hand to a Parliament largely made up of Puritans. The Catholics mosly hoped to be able to practice their religion unmolested. Catholics could not hold public office, nor serve in the armed forces. But what troubled them was that it was death for a Catholic priest to be found in England, so that they could not receive the sacraments. The Stuarts, although staunchly Protestant, were not inimical to Catholics.

The first Chales was executed in January, 1649. His son was recognized by the Scots as Charles II. In 1651, he invaded England at the head of a Scots army, but was defeated at Worcester by Cromwell with Parliament's army. He escaped the city at the last moment, having fought on bravely as long as he could. That night, he and his companion slept in an oak tree, which became known as the Royal Oak. After the restoration, the tree was destroyed by souvenir hunters. His companion lead him to a substantial house, which turned out to be the home of an English Catholic family. They hid him in the priest hole--Catholics would build a false wall with a small closet behind it in which a priest could be hidden. Catholics passed Charles along from one to another until he finally reached Lyme on the south coast, from whence he took ship for France. After the restoation of the Stuart monarchy in 1660, it was renamed Lyme Regis. The Catholics were faithful supporters of the Stuart monarchy, but the fear and hatred of English Protestants in Parliament prevented Charles II from rewarding them for their loyalty.
JTT

Reply Sun 27 May, 2012 09:59 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
But what troubled them was that it was death for a Catholic priest to be found in England, so that they could not receive the sacraments. The Stuarts, although staunchly Protestant, were not inimical to Catholics.

Killing catholic priests and stopping Catholics from practicing their religion illustrates that Protestants weren't inimical to Catholics?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 27 May, 2012 11:09 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

#1 is B -- George could barely speak a word of English. The court at Westmister was German-speaking for amny years

That's a common misconception. George I spoke English, he just wasn't very good at it. Like many educated Germans of the time (such as Leibniz and Frederick the Great), he actually was most comfortable speaking French. That didn't pose much of a problem when he inherited the English throne, as educated Englishmen were expected to speak French as well. Consequently, cabinet and privy council meetings at which he presided were carried on in French.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 03:59 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

Read the question again Andrew. 'Not universally accepted' is the phrase that pops out. This refers to the Jacobite rebellion, and is to do with legitimacy, not language.

Quote:
At the age of 54, after the death of Queen Anne of Great Britain, George ascended the British throne as the first monarch of the House of Hanover. Although over fifty Roman Catholics bore closer blood relationships to Anne, the Act of Settlement 1701 prohibited Catholics from inheriting the British throne. George, however, was Anne's closest living Protestant relative. In reaction, Jacobites attempted to depose George and replace him with Anne's Catholic half-brother, James Francis Edward Stuart, but their attempts failed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_I_of_Great_Britain

Quote:
On that last one, I don'tknow just what your teacher is looking for or what you were taught during theschool term. It's almost a trick question. It's true that today most persons claiming to be British are thought of as Anglo-Saxon. But historically, of course, that's nonsense. One has to differentiate between the British who were a Celtic people living on those off-shore islands when the Romans came in and took most of what today is England over as the province of Britannia. In the early 5th Century c.e. they pulled out again so as to mass their militaryforces in mainland Europe to defend the rest of the Empire against barbarian invasions. The ancestors of the Anglo-Saxons then came in. These were Germanic tribes of Angles, Saxons, Jutes and others who eventually took over as rulers. The true British culture pretty much disapeared. But I'd be careful how I present all this, not quite undertsanding just how your teacher has phrased this question.

This question is about the modern concept of Britain, which is England Scotland and Wales. The Romans conquered Wales as well, not just England. You've also missed out the Danish and Norman invasions.

0 Replies

Gabriel1954

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 03:26 am
@koreagunba,
1) B 2) True - because they were pro monarchy 3) & 4) & 5) correct. 6) True, because this was the politically correct and simplisitic view - recent DNA analysis of White Brits , though, show that the dominant strain is Celtic
0 Replies