Why those up in WTC - towers didn't just jump from there where the planes crashed?

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 12:35 pm
Why those up in WTC - towers didn't just jump from there where the planes crashed? I guess that would be less altitude than jumping from the building to the street. I mean Why they jumped right onto street from the buildings and did not try to jump there where the planes had made a destruction to the nearest floor of the building. Because the damage that planes had done did not go many floors( maybe 10 ).

jespah

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 12:59 pm
@alvoutila,
They did. There's plenty of footage of people jumping. All you need to do is Google it. One of them even landed on Father Mychal Judge and the impact killed him.
alvoutila

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 01:08 pm
@jespah,
But did any jump from the floor above where plane had crashed and landed to the ten floors below so that they could use stairs again?
Rockhead

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 01:12 pm
@alvoutila,
10 floors is one hundred feet.

to concrete.

exactly how are they gonna use the stairs after that?
Eva

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 01:28 pm
@alvoutila,
The void where the plane crashed was full of smoke & flames. Are you seriously suggesting they jump into the smoke & flames? Nobody would do that. Besides, they would have had no way to know how many floors had been taken out.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 01:28 pm
@alvoutila,
At 8:46:40, the hijacked American Airlines Flight 11 flew into the upper portion of the North Tower, cutting through floors 93 to 99.
http://govinfo.library.unt.edu/911/report/911Report_Ch9.htm
The rule of thumb is times 10 feet per floor.

According to your question, you asked if anyone jumped from the 100th or higher floor and landed onto the 10th floor and survived to walk the rest of the way down? 100 floors minus 10 floors = 90 floors. That's just a mere drop of 900 feet!

Falling from a tree of 10 feet onto hard dirt can be fatal depending on how one lands. Falling 900+ feet onto concrete is near impossible to survive.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 01:29 pm
@Eva,
Eva wrote:

The void where the plane crashed was full of smoke & flames. Are you seriously suggesting they jump into the smoke & flames? Nobody would do that. Besides, they would have had no way to know how many floors had been taken out.

Nor would they have known that the towers were going to collapse soon after. I expect anyone in the building surviving after the initial plane crashes expected all they had to do was walk down the stairs and they'd be fine.
Thomas

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 01:37 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
Nor would they have known that the towers were going to collapse soon after. I expect anyone in the building surviving after the initial plane crashes expected all they had to do was walk down the stairs and they'd be fine.

And they were right. People who worked in stores below the place of impact did walk down the stairs, and they were fine. But that wasn't an option for people who worked in the stores above the impact. And jumping to a lower level --- say, from the 96th to the 86th floor --- wasn't an option, because the towers were straight as a candle. There was no place to land on the 86th floor. (And even this is assuming that you could survive a jump 10 stores down, which you probably can't.)
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 01:54 pm
I've seen some really dumb questions posted on these fora in the past but this . . .
roger

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 01:58 pm
I'm not sure I really understand the OP, but I have the feeling this is one of those where you are free falling in an elevator and doomed to die at the bottom - unless you're clever enough to calmly step off just before the moment of impact.

For what it's worth, I have always used 13 feet per story as a general rule. In any case, there are few, if any retail or commercial units with ceilings designed at eight feet, which was common in older houses.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 02:18 pm
@roger,
That's a better rule of thumb then 10 feet per floor.

As for the elevator jump trick?
Quote:
Myth statement
It is possible to survive by jumping up at the last moment before a freefalling elevator hits the ground.
Status
Busted

Notes
The jumping power of a human being cannot cancel out the falling velocity of the elevator; the elevator car impacted at 53 mph (85 km/h), while a human being can only jump at around 2 or 3 mph (3 or 5 km/h), not enough to make a significant difference in the impact force. The best speculative advice from an elevator expert would be to lie on the elevator floor instead of jumping. Adam and Jamie speculated the attendant survived because the tight elevator shaft created an air cushion. This together with spring action from slack elevator cable could have slowed the car to survivable speeds.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 02:29 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
At least it's a step up from all the "I want to sleep with my sister" ****.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 02:31 pm
@roger,
I was using nice round numbers so I dint confuse anyone, roger.

but I appreciate your expertise just the same...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 02:41 pm
@tsarstepan,
It worked for bugs bunny when he was on plane that was hurling to the ground. He simply opened the door and the second before the plane crashed to the earth, he calmly stepped onto the ground. No one scratch as the plane smashed to smithereens.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 03:06 pm
@Linkat,
((((slaps forehead!!))))

And don't forget when Bugs Bunny used the planes air brakes on several occasions to stop a plane from crashing! No wonder why I did so poorly in my physics classes. Razz
DrewDad

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 03:35 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

10 floors is one hundred feet.

to concrete.

exactly how are they gonna use the stairs after that?
Be fair, there'd be all that debris to break the fall.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 03:54 pm
@tsarstepan,
Oh yeah - I forgot about that one - the brakes - that worked too. That bugs is one smart dude.
roger

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 04:38 pm
@Linkat,
Commercial aircraft don't usually employ speed brakes. What was that rabbit flying?
spendius

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 04:56 pm
@roger,
The kite of credulity.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 04:57 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Commercial aircraft don't usually employ speed brakes. What was that rabbit flying?

Not anything you could buy on the open market.
0 Replies