What happens when I call 911?

roger

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 08:43 pm
To refine the question, if my cell phone (TracPhone) is assigned my home area code, and I'm in another town with the same or different area code, to which service will it connect?

Frivolous answers expected and probably enjoyed.

View best answer, chosen by roger
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 08:44 pm
I don't know. What does happen?
roger

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 08:46 pm
@edgarblythe,
Well, you know. I don't really want to drive a hundred miles, dial, and find out. Anyway, I'm sure I would be surrounded by a SWAT team in minutes, and you never know who they're going to shoot.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 08:48 pm
Remind me to get in my truck and drive if ever I am around at the time you make your call.
farmerman

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 09:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
Around here they sometimes get put on hold
0 Replies

Setanta
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 05:55 am
The jeep broke down once in the middle of the Ambassador Bridge between Detroit and Windsor. My phone was from an Ohio service with an Ohio area code. Everything worked out just fine, i got local 911, and there was a tow truck there in under five minutes.
roger

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 01:15 pm
@Setanta,
Thank you. Whether you were technically in Canada or the US, it seems likely that the same systems prevail.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 02:02 pm
@roger,
Quote:
The FCC’s basic 911 rules require wireless service providers to transmit all 911 calls to a PSAP [Public Safety Answering Point or centralized dispatcher center], regardless of whether the caller subscribes to the provider’s service or not.

Phase I Enhanced 911 (E911) rules require wireless service providers to provide the PSAP with the telephone number of the originator of a wireless 911 call and the location of the cell site or base station transmitting the call.

Phase II E911 rules require wireless service providers to provide more precise location information to PSAPs; specifically, the latitude and longitude of the caller. This information must be accurate to within 50 to 300 meters depending upon the type of location technology used.

The FCC recently required wireless carriers to provide more precise location information to PSAPs. As a result, wireless carriers will be required to comply with the FCC’s location accuracy rules at either a county-based or PSAP-based geographic level. The new standards apply to outdoor measurements only, as indoor use poses unique obstacles.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/wireless-911-services
roger

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 03:04 pm
@tsarstepan,
Excellent answer. I thank you, too.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 03:11 pm
@tsarstepan,
That's how it works up here. There have been several people who disappear in the woods or off icy roads and were tracked down because of their cell phones. A kid I now was murdered recently. He was on a country road, but was able to call for help and they were able to find him, albeit too late.
0 Replies