Speechless: Such mistakes - wrong capital and wrong pronoun

Reply Sun 20 May, 2012 10:52 am
"An English teacher in the city of Nanjing, He played a crucial part..." should be "An English teacher in the city of Nanjing, she played a crucial part ..."

I feel unease when I read "He", which often refers to God Himself.
Other mistakes are there, too. Such as "Chen urged the crowd to fight for injustice, and thanked the U.S. ...", obviously "Chen urged the crowed to fight for justice", not the opposite "for injustice". An intolerable mistake.

Context:

Of course we do, said a delighted He Peirong on Saturday. An English teacher in the city of Nanjing, He played a crucial part in Chen's escape as she met him with a car outside his village of Dongshigu, which he had fled despite high walls and many guards, and drove him to Beijing.

"Wherever Mr. Chen goes, he and his whole family need time to recuperate. His wife has been beaten and his son's arm was broken and remains a little deformed," He said. "Although he is blind, he is intelligent and incredible. He can do things that most healthy people can't, and he is very resilient; he can stick to his ideals."

MOre:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/story/2012-05-19/chinese-activist-chen-leave-bejing-us/55071846/1
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,468 • Replies: 8

Ceili

Reply Sun 20 May, 2012 10:58 am
I'm confused. Was it a woman or a man that helped Chen? If it was a man, you must use he, as it's the appropriate pronoun. It doesn't matter if you see if used as a reference to god or not. You cannot change the sex of the pronoun because it may have other meanings. It is what it is.
0 Replies

Strauss

Reply Sun 20 May, 2012 11:02 am
Quote:
Other mistakes are there, too. Such as "Chen urged the crowd to fight for injustice, and thanked the U.S. ...", obviously "Chen urged the crowed to fight for justice", not the opposite "for injustice".

Quote:
An intolerable mistake.

Yes..
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 20 May, 2012 03:09 pm
@oristarA,

Quote:
said a delighted He Peirong on Saturday

So the woman's name is He. Admittedly, it looks a bit strange in English, but it's not a mistake.
oristarA

Reply Sun 20 May, 2012 07:55 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Quote:
said a delighted He Peirong on Saturday

So the woman's name is He. Admittedly, it looks a bit strange in English, but it's not a mistake.

Good catch.
The intolerable mistake is "Chen urged the crowd to fight for injustice", in which "for" should be "against".
ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 May, 2012 08:04 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

The intolerable mistake is "Chen urged the crowd to fight for injustice", in which "for" should be "against".

Calling the error intolerable is a bit strong.

The more appropriate edit would be to change injustice to justice. It is more common to refer to fighting for something.
engineer

Reply Sun 20 May, 2012 10:52 pm
@ehBeth,
Or the word "for" is extra. It could read "urged the crowd to fight injustice"
JTT

Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 02:09 pm
@engineer,
Good insight, E.
oristarA

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 05:57 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Good insight, E.

JTT, I've got Longman Grammar Spoken and Written on my desktop. Do you think which pages are most important and urgent to be read?
0 Replies