"SWM" Lowest Difficulty Setting - Good analogy?

snood

Reply Sat 19 May, 2012 08:23 pm
http://whatever.scalzi.com/2012/05/15/straight-white-male-the-lowest-difficulty-setting-there-is/

I C&P-ed the first couple paragraphs. I think its a funny yet cogent analogy. Apropos to our gaming-crazy times:

I’ve been thinking of a way to explain to straight white men how life works for them, without invoking the dreaded word “privilege,” to which they react like vampires being fed a garlic tart at high noon. It’s not that the word “privilege” is incorrect, it’s that it’s not their word. When confronted with “privilege,” they fiddle with the word itself, and haul out the dictionaries and find every possible way to talk about the word but not any of the things the word signifies.

So, the challenge: how to get across the ideas bound up in the word “privilege,” in a way that your average straight white man will get, without freaking out about it?

Being a white guy who likes women, here’s how I would do it:

Dudes. Imagine life here in the US — or indeed, pretty much anywhere in the Western world — is a massive role playing game, like World of Warcraft except appallingly mundane, where most quests involve the acquisition of money, cell phones and donuts, although not always at the same time. Let’s call it The Real World. You have installed The Real World on your computer and are about to start playing, but first you go to the settings tab to bind your keys, fiddle with your defaults, and choose the difficulty setting for the game. Got it?

Okay: In the role playing game known as The Real World, “Straight White Male” is the lowest difficulty setting there is.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,105 • Replies: 3
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 May, 2012 08:55 pm
@snood,
I don't do games, watching -
snood

Reply Sat 19 May, 2012 09:07 pm
@ossobuco,
Its not a concept only gamers can grasp. Its just another construct for white privilege.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 19 May, 2012 10:18 pm
@snood,
Really excellent analogy.
0 Replies