FLEAS: what do you do to protect your pet?

jcboy

Reply Sun 20 May, 2012 03:53 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yes it is! which kind of ticks me off.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 20 May, 2012 03:55 pm
@jcboy,
so is the forward line stuff I been getting. and my vet takes it easy on me, but damn.

I want something not involved in the health care system. even the pet healthcare is going apeshit...
jcboy

Reply Sun 20 May, 2012 04:02 pm
@Rockhead,
Frontline didn’t work for me, believe me I tried it. The fleas came back in a week. Not with comfortis, it last one full month.

You know someone told me about a little trick to get rid of fleas in the house, sounds weird but it worked! I placed a white bowl full of water on the living room floor, put a small reading light over the bowl, the fleas were attracted to the light when the house was dard and when they jumped into the light they drowned in the water.

I know I thought that sounds silly, but trust me I tried it and it worked!
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 May, 2012 04:03 pm
@Rockhead,
It's all designed to gouge the consumer. If you go to court, a dog is property. Why does property need a prescription just to keep off the fleas and kill heartworms?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 20 May, 2012 04:05 pm
@jcboy,
that was mr vw's complaint as well.

it seems that the dogs get to where it quits working. and the comfort stuff is even higher than the front line was.

so far I have heard no cat complaints on it. other than the price.

my vet doesn't make me do an office call. but still...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 20 May, 2012 04:07 pm
@jcboy,
I used to have a flea trap like that but the light quit working.

I think they quit selling them because they actually worked, and folks stopped buying the other stuff.

I can't find them anymore...
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 20 May, 2012 04:12 pm
@jcboy,
For my 6-yr-old Border Collie I use Interceptor for worms etc. meds:

What is Interceptor?

"Interceptor (Novartis) Flavor Tabs are a palatable once-a-month tablet that prevents heartworm disease, controls adult hookworms, and removes and controls adult roundworms and whipworm infections. Interceptor requires a prescription from your veterinarian."
jcboy

Reply Sun 20 May, 2012 05:02 pm
@Ragman,
I was using that too for a while then my vet told me about the new combo comfortis pill.

Who knows what they will come out with next but somebody is making a fortune on us.

That’s the price we pay to take care of our pets.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 20 May, 2012 05:30 pm
@jcboy,
Yes, I did that too!
White bowl, because the fleas are attracted to light colors, bright light, again, a little dish detergent to create a film on the water, to keep the fleas under.

You can also put some sticky paper face up, with the light on it.
Ragman

Reply Sun 20 May, 2012 05:38 pm
@chai2,
The problem with that is that even though it might work partially so it doesn't kill all the fleas. Also it does not kill the eggs.
jcboy

Reply Sun 20 May, 2012 05:42 pm
@chai2,
I know, when I first heard of it I thought it sounded silly but I tried it anyway. In the morning when I got up the bowl had at least a dozen dead fleas in it.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 20 May, 2012 05:45 pm
@Ragman,
That’s true, we have hard wood floors and had to vacuum a lot. But having the dogs in the house also helped, the fleas that were left in the house would jump on the dogs then die from the medication.

I’ve heard flea eggs can take months to hatch out so you have to be on them constantly.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 03:25 pm
got some budget off the shelf drops from harts...

ultra guard pro.

it's working. and tonight I will bomb the cabin one room at a time with a towel under the door.

raid purple foggers work well. (bedbugs too for you city dwellers)

stinky is already more relaxed, but the fleas are still exiting him...

chai2

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 05:31 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

The problem with that is that even though it might work partially so it doesn't kill all the fleas. Also it does not kill the eggs.

Yeah, that's why you have to face the battle on multiple fronts. There is no one way.

But, every method you can employ has an impact, expecially if you do it all at once.

0 Replies

Robert1989

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2012 12:44 pm
@Rockhead,
Never, ever leave your dog in the car;
Make sure your dog has unlimited access to fresh water;
Make sure your dog has access to shade when outside;
Take walks during the cooler hours of the day;
When walking, try to stay off of hot surfaces (like asphalt) because it can burn your dog's paws;
If you think it's hot outside, it's even hotter for your pet – make sure your pet has a means of cooling off;
Keep your dog free of external parasites (fleas, ticks) and heartworms – consult your veterinarian about the best product for your pet;
Consider clipping or shaving dogs with long coats, and apply sunscreen to your dog's skin if s/he has a thin coat.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2012 03:05 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

got some budget off the shelf drops from harts...

ultra guard pro.

it's working. and tonight I will bomb the cabin one room at a time with a towel under the door.

raid purple foggers work well. (bedbugs too for you city dwellers)

stinky is already more relaxed, but the fleas are still exiting him...

that's good.

I hate watching the poor dears twitching.

btw, I had to get more of the sentry stuff I pictured, and it was WAY less than the $45 for 3 I'd quoted.....something like I don't know half of that.

It was about 3 weeks ago, so I forget.
Since you've only got Stinky, you have enough doses for 3 months.

Mark your calendar dude.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2012 03:07 pm
@chai2,
bubba says, "what...?"

but yeah, I got a 3 month dose for each of them. but I find that about 3 weeks in, they are ready again. mostly stinky, who outweighs bubba 3 to 1.

oh well, it's still way cheaper than the vet only stuff...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2012 03:38 pm
The fleas were devouring Punky. I finally had to get a huge bag of bug granules and spread it over the entire property before I could get them under control. I can't afford the vet flea poison, so I use the stuff Walmart sells. I haven't seen any fleas in a few weeks.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2012 03:42 pm
@edgarblythe,
wally's is where I got my stuff, too...

I was gonna sprinkle sevin dust on the goats, as they were scratching hard, too, before they run off. the fleas love our sandy soil. I can walk through high grass and feel them jump on me.

I wear jeans any time I am outside the mowed area, or after sunset, or I get eaten alive...
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2012 03:55 pm
@Rockhead,
Would sprinkling some diatomaceous earth around work for fleas in the yard?