letter of invitation

ziawj2

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 08:27 am
There are two letters. The first one is written by my student, and the second one is written by me. Could you help me check the second one whether the changes are acceptable to native speakers or not. Thank you.

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Smith ,
We have not senn each other for long time. So I am more than delighted to invite you to visit my house on May 15, 2012 and you can arrive there at 7 p.m.
As you are a close friend of us, I know that both of you fancy fish. So I will prepare fishes as the main course.Of course,It has good wine.We can enjoy it together. What’s more, we can eat food while chatting with funny stories. The shopping mall is near my house, we can go shopping. I think it is a wonderful day.
Would you please drop me a line to let me know if you can come to my house?
I’m looking forward to your coming.
Yours sincerely,
He Ying

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Smith ,
We have not seen for long time. I am delighted to invite you to my house and have dinner at 7 p. m. on May 15.
You are my good friend; I know you love eating fish. So I will cook fish soup. Of course, I also prepare good wine.Then we can enjoy the dishes and chat about funny stories. Besides, there is a shopping mall near my house. After dinner, we can go shopping there. I think it is a wonderful night.
Could you drop me a line to let me know whether you can come? I’m looking forward to your reply.
Yours sincerely,
He Ying
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 4,655 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 09:02 am
@ziawj2,
The letter in italics; my changes in bold, underlined; explanations, where needed, in plain text:

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Smith:

We have not seen one another
[one another or each other--your student was correct; otherwise, the question would be, "seen what?"] for a long time. I would like to invite you to my house to have dinner at 7 p. m. on May 15 ["am delighted" is rather too effusive for what can be considered a friendly letter].

As we are good friends, I know you love fish
[it is understood that you refer to what will be eaten], so I will cook fish soup. Of course, I will also serve a good wine [you don't prepare the wine, the vintner does that, you just serve it]. Then we can enjoy the meal and tell funny stories [if you were chatting about funny stories, you would be discussing funny stories rather then telling them to one another] . There is a shopping mall near my house, perhaps we can go shopping there. after dinner. I think it might be a wonderful night.

Could you drop me a line to let me know whether you can come? I’m looking forward to your reply.

Yours sincerely,
He Ying
0 Replies