Financial liability

husker

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 04:13 pm
Ok - but remember
1 show your serious concern
2. project the gravity
3. do not make them feel threatened
You need to dance, be in control or display control, do not show a temper
4. show you care - but the above three items need to set the stage for your input to be considered at full value.

loss of control may equal loss of argument - when your points are 100% on track
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 04:18 pm
Me, lose control? Nah. Wink

The main thing I'm getting at is that I have been polite but firm, with ever-increasing emphasis on the firm, for QUITE a while now, and things aren't happening. If I hope to make some kind of impact, instead of more nodding, nothing happening, and people accosting me in the bathroom to say that they totally agree with me but saying nothing in public.

If nothing else, I want to help cover my butt by having my objections on the record. I dunno if it actually offers any butt-cover, but I'd feel better.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 04:19 pm
Here's some info on event liability insurance you may wish to read. http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=event+liability+insurance
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 04:27 pm
I've gotten all sorts of info on insurance, thanks, but I can't seem to find anything that would pick up the shortfall if we don't have enough money.

I have a bunch of links of D&O, etc., to hand off to the board. But it just doesn't make sense that there would be an insurance that covers the shortfall -- pay $800, get $18,000 two months later.

If there is an exception, would love to know about it, but haven't come across anything like that and don't expect to.

I'm focusing on:

1.) Encouraging the board to cut costs wherever they can.

2.) Going on record opposing refusal to cut costs in a way I feel is irresponsible (2 movies vs. 1 or zero).

3.) Offering my services to help with a number of ways to cut costs (re-negotiate contracts, ask for donations, etc.)

4.) Emphasize to the board the importance of HELPING ME get donations -- two board members have actually coughed up some useful contacts (their respective employers), haven't gotten NOTHIN' from anyone else, which is NOT how it is supposed to work...

5.) Continue to do all I can to get donations and grants, myself.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 04:33 pm
Quote:
First, could I end up paying claims for the rest of my life? That's one of my main questions.

The answer to this question depends on the form in which your organization is organized. If your nonprofit is a corporation, the answer is no. If your nonprofit is a limited liability company or an association, the answer is maybe. Here's an article to which I found a link on findlaw.org. It's called "Five reasons to incorporate your nonprofit". One of the reasons given:
Quote:
You Want Protection From Personal Liability for the Group's Activities

If your group finds itself the target of a lawsuit, incorporation can provide welcome peace of mind. Nonprofit corporations can be sued -- but their members and directors are generally protected from personal liability, meaning that their own money, houses, cars or other property isn't at risk. That's not true of an unincorporated association.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 04:35 pm
I'm pretty sure it's incorporated. I have to check.

Thanks!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 05:13 pm
I'm looking for the prior article from this group I'm in:
Code:I went to a conference a couple of days ago and there were 2 attorneys who spoke on Piercing the Corporate and LLC Veil. It was interesting as they outlined everything that you wrote about in your article - although they were a lot funnier as they had examples how people had been able to pierce the corporate and LLC veil and reach in and grab personnel assets of the principals of those businesses. It sounds like lots of businesses do not follow the rules and get caught with pants (or veils) lowered.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 05:15 pm
Knew I was close
Quote:
SELLING TO A LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY (LLC)

One of the benefits for principles of a limited liability company (LLC) is limiting their liability to the amount invested into the business. By creating an LLC, the principals or members have legally separated themselves from the liabilities of the business. Any normal liability resides with the organization and the LLC, not the owners, members or principals of the business.

If the business incurs a debt, loan, trade obligation, etc., it is the LLC that legally owes the money to the creditor, not the members. If the business is sued, it is the LLC that will be liable if the plaintiff wins the lawsuit. If a lien is placed on the assets of the business, it is the LLC that is held accountable, not the principals of the business.

For entrepreneurs, starting a business without taking the steps to limit potential liability is foolhardy. It would be worse than driving a car without insurance. There are just too many risks to go without insurance or go without a plan to limit potential liabilities. It is safe to say that without the limited liability features of an LLC, a great number of businesses would never have opened their doors.

Piercing the LLC Veil

As good as the limited liability feature is, the liability umbrella does not protect the members from every type of liability that could be encountered. That is good, especially when you, the creditor, would like to pierce the LLC veil to get to specific members or principals of the business.

Limited liability companies are similar to corporations in that people have abused the liability protection provided to them in the law. Whether the abuse was intentional or not, the courts realized that it was not fair to always allow a corporate shareholder or LLC member to benefit from the limited liability protection. The courts began to rule that under some circumstances, the corporation and/or LLC was just a veil which served to protect a person who should not be entitled to the limited liability protection.

Here are some basics behind the liability issue. LLC members are liable only up to the amount of their capital contributions and the amount they agree to contribute to the firm's capital. LLC member may also be personally liable for LLC debts if they personally guarantee those debts.

When it comes to piercing the veil; however, there are several main areas where the individual members can be held liable:

1. Negligence. Members may be liable for the liability created by their own negligence.

2. Inseparability. LLCs are formed as an entity that is separate and distinct from its members. If the members take action that causes the LLC's separate identity to disappear, the LLC veil may be pierced. An example would be if the members conducted business as if there was no LLC. If the business is set up as an LLC, then the members must operate that way.

3. Undercapitalization. As a distinct entity, an LLC is expected to own assets and have financial capacity to adequately carry on the business. When the LLC is simply a shell without financial means or capacity, then investors and creditors cannot be repaid.

4. Illegal Purpose. Like negligence, this is an obvious reason to disallow the liability protection. A business cannot defraud individuals and expect to get away with it.

5. Formalities Not Complied With. This may be considered as a technicality, but in order to operate as a LLC, the business must complete all of the requirements for being an LLC and do the things necessary to maintain that status. An example is if the state requires the LLC to pay an annual fee and it has not not done so, then the members may become personally liable.

6. Equity and Justice. There are times when the courts will make rulings to pierce the veil based upon equity and justice. These are things that don't fit 100% into the first 5, but which may touch any or all of them.

The bottom line is that a Limited Liability Company does provide liability protections to the members, but there are ways for creditors to pierce the liability veil if the LLC or the members do not operate properly.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 06:02 pm
husker, Many of the partners in Arthur Anderson were LLC, and many individuals were sued. Incorporation is not always a protection against law suits. People can name board members and officers of nonprofits, and they must still get legal counsel to protect themselves. That's the reason why incorporated nonprofits buy D&O and E&O insurance.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 06:44 pm
soz : First, could I end up paying claims for the rest of my life? That's one of my main questions. I'm a run-of-the-mill board member, not one of the officers.

Yes - if you're on the board - and there is money owing, you could be on the hook for a portion of it.

soz: Second, it looks like insurance won't cover the specific eventuality I am worried about -- not having the money needed to pay the bills.

You've got to have the money to pay for the conference first. Not have the conference to pay its own bills. This should be a red flag to anyone who is a board member.

esoz: hBeth, I'm not sure how the "afford to lose" thing applies here -- I've been trying to explain that the conference itself is NOT a fundraiser, but that seems to keep being a source of confusion. The conference, in May, is what I am raising money FOR. The cost of the conference is approximately $150,000 -- the hotel, travel expenses, souvenirs, yadda yadda yadda.

So if we lose money on the conference, there isn't some larger organization to absorb the cost. The conference is the organization. If money is lost, bills don't get paid.

If bills don't get paid, the board members will be held responsible. That's fairly basic. The board is the "larger organization".

soz: Tonight I will demand to have some sort of formal objection recorded -- zero or one, two is ridiculous. I work SO hard, would be SO thrilled with a donation of a coupla thou, and then to have it frittered away like that...)

To protect your can, I'd suggest having your objections made in writing and presented to the rest of the board - either at the meeting, or delivered by registered letter to the chair/prez of the board tomorrow. If things go wrong, you can prove that you tried to prevent a loss, or attempted to cut the size of the loss.

Anyway, I digress... my point is that while I am still trying very hard to not make it my problem, (for example, I think I would rather say that I will resign if THEY don't get insurance rather than get insurance, myself), I am going to be loud and obnoxious and on the record.

Hopefully, it will still all work out well, money will be made, and all of this worrying will have just been worrying - but - protect yourself.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 06:51 pm
ehBeth's quote, "To protect your can, I'd suggest having your objections made in writing and presented to the rest of the board - either at the meeting, or delivered by registered letter to the chair/prez of the board tomorrow. If things go wrong, you can prove that you tried to prevent a loss, or attempted to cut the size of the loss."
I second that idea! CYA is always good.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 07:09 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
husker, Many of the partners in Arthur Anderson were LLC, and many individuals were sued. Incorporation is not always a protection against law suits. People can name board members and officers of nonprofits, and they must still get legal counsel to protect themselves. That's the reason why incorporated nonprofits buy D&O and E&O insurance.

I think I've been saying that all along :wink:
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 09:44 pm
Thanks, ehBeth.

You've got to have the money to pay for the conference first. Not have the conference to pay its own bills. This should be a red flag to anyone who is a board member.

Should be, I guess, but hasn't been. This is the second time that the conference has been done, the first time was even more on the fly. There are people on the board who have a great deal of experience with this sort of thing -- I have none -- I have been deferring to them. I knew to be suspicious, but wasn't sure what questions to ask.

My point about insurance is not that someone SHOULD cover us but, the insurance information, while useful, still doesn't answer my main question.

sozobe wrote:
ehBeth, I'm not sure how the "afford to lose" thing applies here -- I've been trying to explain that the conference itself is NOT a fundraiser, but that seems to keep being a source of confusion. The conference, in May, is what I am raising money FOR. The cost of the conference is approximately $150,000 -- the hotel, travel expenses, souvenirs, yadda yadda yadda.

So if we lose money on the conference, there isn't some larger organization to absorb the cost. The conference is the organization. If money is lost, bills don't get paid.

If bills don't get paid, the board members will be held responsible. That's fairly basic. The board is the "larger organization".

Yes, I know, and that was my point. That "afford to lose" doesn't apply. We DON'T have the money ahead of time, we DON'T have a "larger organization". So if the bills don't get paid, then what? Your answer helps, thanks. I thought there might be differentiation between the officers and the board members, or between those who have signed official documents and who hasn't. Our "board of directors" is a large and amorphous group... where, if anywhere, is the line drawn?

To protect your can, I'd suggest having your objections made in writing and presented to the rest of the board - either at the meeting, or delivered by registered letter to the chair/prez of the board tomorrow. If things go wrong, you can prove that you tried to prevent a loss, or attempted to cut the size of the loss.

Is it sufficient if the objections appear in the official minutes? And if not, and I do present my objections in whatever more legal form, does that in fact protect my can?

Hopefully, it will still all work out well, money will be made, and all of this worrying will have just been worrying - but - protect yourself.[/quote]

Yes, hopefully. Thanks for the advice on protecting myself, that's what I was going for. (Among other things.)

I asked if they have insurance, and was told "yes", then there was some "but did he ever follow up with..." and "remember, [lawyerdude] is doing it" "oh, right" chatter between the chair and the business manager. Apparently, it is in process. I will follow up with lawyerdude, who wasn't there tonight. Will also ask him about the incorporation thing.

Generally, my strong recommendations were taken fairly well, and it looks like there will be a good amount of cost-cutting. For example, the souvenir budget was something like $10,000, and a rep from our main sponsor happened to be at the meeting and said they would be happy to provide pens, notepads, maybe keychains, and we said OK fine, that's plenty. No more souvenirs. Maybe if we manage to get some donations.

I seemed to put the fear of dog in them, and I think actual cutbacks will be made. They also seemed to finally get that I really need their contacts. And they seem to HAVE some. ("Did I ever tell you I know a guy who works at..." "NO! Email it to me!! Thanks!!!")

Anyway, I'm hopeful, but interested in more about can-covering.

Thanks again, guys.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 01:35 am
sozobe wrote:
So if the bills don't get paid, then what?

I don't know how liability laws for non-profit organizations are different from liability in for-profit organizations. In for profit organizations, it works like this: In any form of company, the employees are not personally liable, including the board and the officers. The only people who may be personally liable are the owners.

If you're a corporation or a limited liability company, the company declares bankruptcy, its assets get auctioned off, and the return goes to pay every creditor some percentage of the amount owed. Any financial stake you might have in the company is gone, but your personal belongings are safe. Unless you have signed some statement saying otherwise, which you say you haven't.

If you are an association, the owners are in it for the whole amount -- up to the point of personal bankruptcy. If you have never defined what kind of company you are, your status probably defaults to association, with everyone in it. Note that whatever titles you call each other internally makes no difference to the status of your company as seen from the outside world. It is possible for you to call each other officers, members of the board, and other corporation-type names internally, but still be partners in an association for the rest of the world.

With this in mind, it seems essential to me that a) you find out if you are incorporated, limited liability or an association and b) that you find out what makes you the legal equivalent of an owner in a non-profit company, and if you are one of them. I don't know this.

sozobe wrote:
Is it sufficient if the objections appear in the official minutes? And if not, and I do present my objections in whatever more legal form, does that in fact protect my can?

This is a point on which the laws in Germany and America may be substantially different. For what it's worth, here is how it would work out in Germany.

If you are a co-owner of a company, and if you are personally liable because it's an association, the only way to protect your can is to quit before the invoices causing the bills are written.

Getting your objections recorded would not protect your can in Germany, as my mother found out at great cost. After a bankruptcy that caused you harm which wasn't your fault, having recorded objections will make it possible for you to sue other owners for damages. But during the bankruptcy process itself, the creditors and the law will neither know nor care what your personal responsibility for the company's decisions was. The creditors will just take their money from any owner who has money for them to take away from him.

Again, the basic logic of the laws governing these issues is similar in Europe and America. But the details vary a lot, and this particular aspect is somewhere in between. What did happen in Germany is reasonably probable to happen in America, but you can't be sure. So stalk lawyerdude, torture him until he speaks if necessary, but get an answer! You know I'm not an alarmist, but I am alarmed about this, so this means something.

sozobe wrote:
Generally, my strong recommendations were taken fairly well, and it looks like there will be a good amount of cost-cutting.

Glad to hear that. You rule! Smile
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 09:42 am
update from Sozo pending??
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 09:50 am
husker, did you see this?

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=566754#566754

Will update you when I connect with lawyerdude.

Also, the early bird deadline is on Saturday -- I know of a fair amount of people who planned to register before that, will be curious about the number. If it's high (53 registrations as of last night), I'll feel better.

But will certainly still pursue can-covering.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 10:06 am
Embarrassed oops Embarrassed
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 10:06 am
Embarrassed oops Embarrassed
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 11:01 am
Wow.....

I have learned sooooo much from reading this thread....

soz... I'm so sorry that what started out as your good volunteering efforts has become such a stressful headache.... your heart is in a good place, as I'm sure you believe this conference will benefit many people....

Best of luck.... I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for a large pay-at-the-door attendance....

PaL
:-)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 11:04 am
Aw, thanks Pal! Very Happy

And yes, fantastic info here. I definitely am getting an education through this whole experience, and that always counts for something, right?

(Didnae have to apologize twice, husker!) (Or once for that matter.)
0 Replies