any english native can help me with this?

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 12:07 am
I am Chinese middle school teacher. I would like to know the difference between these two sentences: 1. There is a brother and sister. 2. There are a brother and sister. This is a problem concerning the agreement of Subject and predicate. I hope an answer from a native speaker. Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 626 • Replies: 4
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 12:21 am
@chrisking,
In my opinion, it can be either:

There is a brother and a sister.

or

There are a brother and sister.

The first is more likely to be used in my region (Texas/United States).
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 12:26 am
@chrisking,
DrewDad is correct in stating that both expressions are acceptable. However, there is a subtle difference in the meaning, depending on which one is used. In
the sentence "There is a brother and sister," the pair are being referred to as a unit, almost inseparable. In other words, 'brother' and 'sister', put together make up this duo. In the sentence "There are a brother and sister," the implication is that the two are quite distinct and separate persons.

It's very subtle but the difference is there. As far as proper grammar, you can use either expresion.
chrisking

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 12:27 am
@DrewDad,
Thanks so much, and I wonder: since we can say, "there is a knife and fork", why can't we say "there is a brother and sister"?
0 Replies

chrisking

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 12:30 am
@Lustig Andrei,
very clear explanation. Thank you so much!
0 Replies