What does this sentence mean?

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 11:08 pm
Describing the dollar as a "safe haven" seems dubious. Indeed, the weakness of American fundamentals has revived the longstanding bearish case against the currency.

What does this sentence mean?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 499 • Replies: 3
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by lizfeehily
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 11:20 pm
@lizfeehily,
It means just what you suggested it means. That you think it's an untrue statement has no bearing whatever on the meaning of the sentence.
0 Replies

Ceili
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 12:31 am
@lizfeehily,
Without more context I could begin to guess what the "weakness of American fundamentals" are. I'm guessing the author describes those in detail in the article.
The American dollar has not been doing so well over the last few years. It used to be the gold standard in currency markets. A bearish or bear market is a depressed or in a downward trend.
So... basically, according to this snippet, the author is saying don't buy the green back. Claims that it is a safe bet or a good investment are false, because American business practices?? are continuing to pull the dollar down. I think the author is looking for a total overhaul of the system or telling the smart investor to think before they buy.
lizfeehily

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 02:01 am
@Ceili,
thank you!
0 Replies