San Francisco A2K Gathering - April 9-12, 2004

jjorge

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 09:42 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
I ready for another trip to Barcelona just to revisit the Gothic area, and roam its narrow streets; it's the next best thing to heaven.

I'd go to a Barcelona gathering next year.

I couldn't go to Spain though without going to Andalusia.

After returning from the above mentioned Med cruise, I was posted to La Base Naval de Rota for two years --probably the luckiest thing that ever happened to me).

I am LONGING to return again to Rota, Puerto de Santa Maria, Jerez de la Frontera ( 'donde se come la papa entera' ) and Sevilla.

I know, I know I am REALLY longing for the return of my lost youth...
....it doesn't matter. I gotta go there. I have to drink Jerez (sherry) and eat tapas in nondescript working mens bars, drink pitchers of sangria loaded with fruit at beach bars, I must see flamenco dancing again and hear the guitars and the tapping heels, I've got to see and hear and smell that place again...

...before they plant me.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 09:45 am
jjorge, One of these days I'm gonna share the story of my first trip to Madrid back in the late fifties when I was serving in the US Air Force in Morocco. Spain was so much more conservative back then......but we could drink beer in a bar for .05c.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 10:04 am
c.i.

I was there only a little later, 1961-63. I was in the part of Spain that most people imagine when they think of that country --the land of bullfights and gypsies and flamenco.

I traveled through Torrejon and Moron Air Force bases but didn't really see Madrid.

Still, we'd have much to talk about including the beer and wine for three pesetas (5 cents in those days) and the thhird class pensiones where one could stay for 60 pesetas (one dollar) a night or 100 pesetas with breakfast.

'05 en Espana!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 10:20 am
JJorge, MMM was in west Los Angeles. Well, it still is, it sits on a slope of the Santa Monica mountains.

Andalusia, I am sure I would love it...
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 02:31 pm
jjorge Laughing Laughing Laughing Razz (I'm really just a shy little Skippy)

one of these days, boyo.

I do recall the Andalusian part of my 2 trips - Sevilla, Jerez, Cordoba, and Granada, the place that got me interested in the whole area. Toledo was fascinating, and Madrid - didn't see much..

I must warn you that Spain is significantly more expensive these days
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 02:37 pm
margo wrote:

I must warn you that Spain is significantly more expensive these days

Where have all the cheap countries gone, long time passing ... ...
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 03:05 pm
Portugal? Someone told me it was still relatively cheap - but I haven't been there!

I used to think Ireland was cheap, but apparently it has gone through the roof these days.

Relative to England, we found France cheap. (but only relatively!Wink )

Walter - I have to head off to the coal face. What about starting a EUROPE IN '05 thread!?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 04:30 pm
waving hello to all friends here (excluding walter)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 05:36 pm
One bad experience I had in Portugal was when I tried to exchange currency; the bank wanted to charge me US$24 to change $100 into their currency. I just did without.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 08:01 pm
I suspect things can vary even in expensive countries. I remember a friend going on and on about how expensive italy was. $360. a night for a hotel!!

But, but, I was there at the same time, spending 45. for a charming little place.

You don't know those charming little places unless you research a lot or... go to the tourist office as you land and see what is at hand... or, know someone who knows the city....
The key seems to be where can we talk, in an interesting city or countryside..
what we have found in a lot of a2k gatherings seems to be is that a fairly quiet main spot is good, so that people can communicate, just hanging out. One of the good places in the San Francisco meet was the Daily Grill, across the street from the St. Francis on Geary. Really good place, great breakfast, witty waitress, room for us to spread out and be comfortable. I'd be surprised if the Daily Grill was on any travel website...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 08:04 pm
Even I found a walkup in Venice for about $90/nite right on the main boulevard that went to St Marco Sq.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 09:30 pm
Oooh, CI, I need that name!

I stayed in an old wreck of great charm, let me see, the Pensione Accademia. Turned out to be a loved hotel in various people's accounts, and then in mine.

There was a woman on abuzz, she and I corresponded, I remember her real name, but am having trouble thinking of her abuzz name... anyway, she was extremely knowledgeable about neat places to stay in italy for not much money, her info was very useful.. I saved some of those posts. (I hope, haven't checked them lately.) Oh, yeah, LoisLane was her abuzz name.

There are likely a2kers with savvy about many different areas. Yes, Walter, start us a thread!!!

Maybe we could even have an elongated meet, where people could meet at different weekends (or weeks) in different places, depending on their own needs. Think of the planning!!
(where is pdiddie...master of schedule without schedule. Team reconnaissance, to have options at the ready..)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 10:20 pm
The name was Hotel Spagna, Lista Di Spagna 184 (tel 041 715011 - 715421 or FAX 041 715318), only a few blocks from the train station and on the main boulevard. I also purchased daily water taxi passes that allows you to hop on and off those boats that circles the island. Even went to Island Giorgio a few times.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 10:30 pm
Thanks, CI!

I hesitate to suggest Venice as a venue... but, you never know. Me, I haven't been to Ravenna or Padua (Padova), both interesting places.

Not to push people to italy. I just need to go there myself for part of any trip in that direction.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 12:39 am
See new thread at http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=671522#671522
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 01:27 pm
good girl, Clary!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 11:40 pm
Just wanted to make sure dys saw this one. Smile

The Cowboy's Attire..........

One Sunday morning an old cowboy entered a church just before
services were to begin. Although the old man and his clothes were spotlessly clean, he wore jeans, a denim shirt and boots that were all very worn and ragged. In his hand he carried a worn out old hat and an equally worn out Bible.

The church he entered was in a very upscale and exclusive part
of the city. It was the largest and most beautiful church the old cowboy had ever seen. The people of the congregation were all dressed with very expensive clothes and accessories.

As the cowboy took a seat, the others moved away from him No one greeted, spoke to, or welcomed him. They were all visibly appalled at his appearance and did not make any attempt to hide it.

The preacher gave a long sermon and a stern lecture on how much
money the church needed to do God's work.

As the old cowboy was leaving the church, the preacher approached him and asked the cowboy to do him a favor. "Before you come back in here again, have a talk with God and ask him what He thinks would be appropriate attire for worship in this church."

The old cowboy assured the preacher he would The next Sunday, he
showed back up for the services wearing the same ragged jeans, shirt,
boots, and hat.

Once again he was completely shunned and ignored. And once
again the preacher approached the old man and said rather sternly, "I
thought I asked you to speak to God before you came back to our church?"

"I did," replied the old cowboy.

"If you spoke to God, what did he tell you the proper attire
should be for worshiping in here?" asked the preacher.

"Well, sir, God told me that He didn't have a clue what I should
wear to this here church. He says He's never been here before .."
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 11:36 pm
Jjorge, I've got to return someday to Sevilla, if only to see the gypsy flamenco dancers. THAT was magical. I did a painting with them in mind: "El Duende del Flamenco". It is completely abstract but expresses my notion of the gypsy muse from the earth.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 11:48 pm
JLN, This one's for you. I took this at Patio Sevilland in November 1996. Enjoy.
http://img32.photobucket.com/albums/v97/imposter222/flamenco_500.jpg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 10:41 pm
Some of us went to the north side of Golden Gate Bridge.

http://img32.photobucket.com/albums/v97/imposter222/ggb_500a.jpg
0 Replies