San Francisco A2K Gathering - April 9-12, 2004

ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 12:14 am
CI, I have the damndest time finding this topic - most of the meeting threads are under North America . Travel is logical of course. Maybe we should just keep mentioning it!

Anyway, I just booked a hotel, a complete surprise to me, here's the story ---------

Ok, ok, I know I already have a hotel, I was the first one that was booked, I think, or no, I bet PDiddie beat me. That one at Hotel Savoy (which still looks good to me) is still sitting there booked for the week we first were going to meet. Will cancel that in a minute.

I checked flights. The one hour flight from Eureka/Arcata airport varies from a rare low of 149 to 379, or so, and right now is at 293, presumably set to go up. The Hotel Savoy was going to cost me about 350 for 4 nights. I've just booked the Hotel Adagio, described as being on Union Square though I have my doubts, plus the flight and taxes for both, at 532.

I took it, what the hell, a recent renovation, centrally located. Here's a link - http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60713-d279426-Reviews-Hotel_Adagio-San_Francisco_California.html

I couldn't predict if I can drive then, have another eye surg on Thursday, a short one which should improve the vision a tad, though I only have about two weeks after that to pass driving test (can't right now, only have 20/60 in leftie) and then will prob need new glasses, which take ten days. Ahhhhhh, grumble, a push. Maybe I will have to take the actually driving test, omigod. Woman with pristine record breaks down from nerves...

Anyway, can't count on the driving being reconciled in the right amount of time. (Meanwhile I am driving to Sacramento with no qualms personally (and I am a qualmist) re present vision this next Sunday to deliver some paintings in the capitol building Monday...)

So, hey, I'm booked, get into SF airport mid afternoon Friday, leave mid afternoon Tuesday. I know others will leave earlier, but maybe not all, and Mon is our work Sunday anyway, and Tuesday is our nongallery day. I'm cool.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 05:11 pm
PDid, Good choice! I prefer spending money on good food and drink over accommodations or "convenient" transportation. Just let me know if there is a special place you would like to see, in or out of the city, that I can accommodate. I was going to take Rae and mom to Sausalito, but I don't think they're coming to SF.

osso, BART now goes directly out of and into SF airport from the city, so I think you'll be fine.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 09:28 pm
A most gracious offer, c.i.

There is a ferry that goes to Sausalito, no?

I will be delighted for you to drive us somewhere, anywhere, but I certainly won't take advantage of your gracious hospitality.

At this point an Alcatraz tour in the evening is the only item on our schedule. A visit to Sausalito, Chinatown, the Golden Gate, the places I've previously linked to in the other thread (the Conservatory, Balboa Park, etc.) are things we will work in, along with museums, galleries, al fresco lunches, exotic suppers, and plenty of time to shoot the breeze.

We're getting excited... Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 09:33 pm
um, I have taken airport buses, no problem, to where, probably Market and California. I am not worried about me, but other folks, and I'm not worried about them either, smiling. Although I suppose I might worry if they landed at three a.m. I don't have much experience of worrying in San Francisco, so am no help on that.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 11:43 pm
I'm not sure about Sausalito, but I know it goes to Tiburon. I'm sure there'll be several people wanting to do the Golden Gate Bridge Kodak photo spot, so I can take three or four passengers. Probably end up doing a couple of those.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 10:44 pm
PDiddie wrote:
So who's in and who's out?

hi folks,

I just made my reservations.

I'm flying into San Diego on Sat. 4-3 where I'll be visiting friends.

Then I'll be in San Francisco from 4-7 to 4-12. I'll be staying at my brother's house there but plan to meet up with you all for many, if not all of the gatherings.

Sorry I haven't been participating on this thread lately. To some extent it has been due to a 'Dean Depression'.

However, I've also been immersed in activities related to my new house. (I'm STILL unpacking, arranging, decorating etc!)

look forward to seeing you all next month! Very Happy

jjorge
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 11:01 pm
jjorge, Happy to hear you're going to be coming. Five weeks plus a few days more. Hope more people will be "checking in," so's we can get an idea how many we can expect to pick our first venue. Wink
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 09:21 am
Watching, and playing by ear!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 11:21 am
Just an update. I have a surprise for everybody that attends our meet in San Francisco. Please send me your mailing address by PM - in case I receive the order before our trip to Japan. Will need your "real" name and address. Wink
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 08:41 pm
OK c.i., what are you up to???? You do manage to produce some delightful surprises as I found out at the Florida gathering.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 08:46 pm
c.i., I think you already have our address, but I've sent it to you anyway.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 10:06 am
c.i.
Well, sadly, BumbleBeeBoogie won't be attending the San Francisco Gathering after all. But, happily, my daughter will be flying from California to Albuquerque to spend three weeks with me in April. If I have to choose, I choose the time with my daughter and showing her around New Mexico.

BBB
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 10:45 am
Thanks for the update, BBB. Sorry we'll miss you in SF.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 12:36 pm
Re: c.i.
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Well, sadly, BumbleBeeBoogie won't be attending the San Francisco Gathering after all. But, happily, my daughter will be flying from California to Albuquerque to spend three weeks with me in April. If I have to choose, I choose the time with my daughter and showing her around New Mexico.

BBB

BBB
I do hope your daughter is not leaving California solely because of c.i.'s A2K gathering.
Although, I must admit, sounds like some shifty characters are attending! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 12:37 pm
"Shifty?" Wink
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 12:52 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
"Shifty?" Wink

Yes, I did put the "f" in, although I considered the double "t"! Razz
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 01:45 pm
Awe, comeon, margo. You REALLY don't mean that! LOL
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 01:46 pm
:wink: Twisted Evil
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 03:58 pm
I'm looking forward to meeting jjorge, and hearing about the new house...
and am sorry the timing will be off for bbb's making it to SF.

BBB, if you visit old friends/family there another time, who knows, maybe I'll be able to be in the city at the same time.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 04:07 pm
Osso
Osso, you can count on it.

It came down to a choice between me seeing my two children, friends and A2Kers for a short period of time or having my daughter with me for three weeks and a chance to show her New Mexico---and my new friends and new home. My daughter has been wanting to visit for a long time and it worked out for us.

Now if only my son and daughter-in-law can make it to Albuquerque it would be wonderful.

Of course, now I have to get serious about getting my guest room ready for a visitor. And I must teach Maddy some manners around guests, a doubtful task.

BBB
0 Replies