I do not believe gods exist…but I do not believe there are no gods.

failures art

Tue 22 May, 2012 03:00 pm
@Frank Apisa,
If you say that someone is angry one more time, you'll complete my Frank Apisa bingo card. It's redeemable for a free fruit smoothie.

I want that smoothie Frank, and I'm counting on your reliable rhetorical tropes.

A
R
T
Frank Apisa

Tue 22 May, 2012 03:14 pm
@failures art,
Quote:
If you say that someone is angry one more time, you'll complete my Frank Apisa bingo card. It's redeemable for a free fruit smoothie.

I want that smoothie Frank, and I'm counting on your reliable rhetorical tropes.

Okay...Will Smith sounded very angry when he back-hand slapped that idiot reporter who tried to kiss him. I guess Smith doesn't like guys trying to kiss him on the lips.

Go get the smoothie!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Tue 22 May, 2012 03:55 pm
@ehBeth,
Thanks, Beth.

Atheists seem to have no trouble understanding me when I say I do not know if gods exist. Some of them, in fact, have said, “I also do not know if gods exist either. We are all agnostics.”

But the moment I add that I am not willing to express a belief that gods do not exist…or that I am not willing to express a belief that gods do exist…suddenly the question of “what do you mean by gods” becomes very important.

There is almost an “Aha…I gotcha now” in the background of the question, because it really is not a necessary question at all.

As you know, Beth, I do not know if gods exist or do not exist…any kind of gods! I simply do not know if they exist or not.

Also, I am not willing to guess or express “belief” on the existence or non-existence of gods…any kind of gods. I do not see compelling evidence in either direction and I simply am not willing to express belief on that issue.

(I dislike this last part, but I guess I have to include it, or it will come back at me immediately after posting: Yes, if that means I have to include gods on Mt. Olympus; gods in the Halls of Valhalla; or gods in the bowels of Etna or Vesuvius…yeah, I will include them also. I've never visited any of those sites...and I am not willing to say there are no gods in those places...or any other places.)
reasoning logic

Tue 22 May, 2012 04:32 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I have to include gods on Mt. Olympus; gods in the Halls of Valhalla; or gods in the bowels of Etna or Vesuvius…yeah, I will include them also. I've never visited any of those sites...and I am not willing to say there are no gods in those places...or any other places.)

Frank why does that upset you to say that?
Frank Apisa

Tue 22 May, 2012 04:34 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
Frank why does that upset you to say that?

Because I am a lousy speller...and I almost never write those words out?
reasoning logic

Tue 22 May, 2012 04:37 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Does it upset you to say that you do not know if there are invisible unicorns in those places as well?
Frank Apisa

Tue 22 May, 2012 05:07 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
Does it upset you to say that you do not know if there are invisible unicorns in those places as well?

Have you ever been to Mt. Olympus, Valhalla, or the bowels of Vesuvius or Etna, RL?

If not...and I suspect not...how do you know what is or is not there?
reasoning logic

Tue 22 May, 2012 05:38 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Have you ever been to Mt. Olympus, Valhalla, or the bowels of Vesuvius or Etna, RL?

If not...and I suspect not...how do you know what is or is not there?

Frank I do not know what is there but if there are invisible unicorns, I hope that I might get to ride one of them, while liking my invisible lollypop one day.

I will be honest, When I get to be older, "say around 70+" I hope to have a creative imagination so that I will not have to face death with a logical mind. Who knows I might even cram for finals like many other old people who go to church but I kinda doubt it.
Frank Apisa

Tue 22 May, 2012 06:16 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
Frank I do not know what is there but if there are invisible unicorns, I hope that I might get to ride one of them, while liking my invisible lollypop one day.

Hummm…in the bowels of Vesuvius???

Quote:
I will be honest, When I get to be older, "say around 70+" I hope to have a creative imagination so that I will not have to face death with a logical mind.

If you are thinking about licking a lollypop in the bowels of Vesuvius, RL, you already have a pretty creative imagination. Or should we call it a fertile imagination.

In any case, you really shouldn’t wait until after 70 to start developing a logical mind. Leaving things until the last minute, as you seem to be planning, is leaving them to chance.

I certainly didn’t make that mistake…and I have absolutely no problem “facing death” with a logical mind. You would have marveled at how I did when I was down to 117 pounds and it looked like the chemo and radiation was not working. Wow, I looked like an extra from Schindler's List. We were all almost certain I would not make it past the lymphoma. But I never flinched...and that was 15 years ago.

I sincerely hope you do as well when you face the reaper...which you will do sooner or later!

Quote:
Who knows I might even cram for finals like many other old people who go to church but I kinda doubt it.

Maybe...and I am rooting for you. But you are an atheist…and most of the people who make those kinds of last minute adjustments seem to be frightened atheists.

We agnostics stick to our guns.

Hey…I’ve got an idea. Why not just start designating yourself an agnostic now…and improve your chances of not thinking about "cramming for finals."
reasoning logic

Tue 22 May, 2012 06:25 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Hey…I’ve got an idea. Why not just start designating yourself an agnostic now…and improve your chances of not thinking about "cramming for finals."

Frank I am agnostic but I am also aunicornist and "a" many other things as well.
joefromchicago

Tue 22 May, 2012 06:35 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
Well, I know it is true, so you “knowing” it is not true apparently is just another of those “I know” that some humans do that really is not an “I know” at all.

Well, you ought to know! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Frank Apisa wrote:
No anger at all. Big smile on my face. Enjoying this give and take as much as I enjoy petting my cat while reading your posts.

It heartens me to know that you'd compare me with your intellectual inspiration.

Frank Apisa wrote:
Actually, Joe, I am one of those lucky people who get all sorts of ego-stroking comments coming my way. I really am a very lucky individual.

Now, now, Frank, you've been warned about talking to yourself too much! Laughing

Frank Apisa wrote:
Jeez, Joe, I thought I was telling you that I AM grateful.

Tone it down, big guy, don't bite my head off.

Frank Apisa wrote:
Especially I am grateful to you. You are my favorite. Have you ever thought about how you “know” I “obsessively monitor this thread?” And you are a lawyer taking time to do this just for me. What a heck of a guy you are, Joe.

For you, I don't take the time, I make the time!

Frank Apisa wrote:
I know…and once again I will express my gratitude. Thanks for being here for me, Joe. You are aces in my book no matter what these others say about you.

And you light up my life, Frankie-poo.

Frank Apisa wrote:
Well, whatever your motivation…here you are. And I thank you for it. This is fun talking with you, Joe. I’ve got to feed the fish out in the pond right now, but I will be back to hear what you have to say in response…and I promise I will get right back to you.

Please, no rush. Take as much as five ... no, make it six minutes before you respond.
joefromchicago

Tue 22 May, 2012 06:41 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Joe Nation wrote:
Here is my one question: What's a god?

How could an agnostic answer that? it would imply some type of knowledge that agnostics don't have and don't claim to have (imnsho)

That's nonsense. If an agnostic can't even define "god," then how can he even claim to be agnostic? It would be like saying "I haven't formed a belief about something that I can't define." At most, such an individual could claim to be ignorant , not agnostic.
Frank Apisa

Tue 22 May, 2012 06:47 pm
@reasoning logic,

Quote:
Frank I am agnostic but I am also aunicornist and "a" many other things as well.

You really oughta see a doctor about this unicorn thing.
Frank Apisa

Tue 22 May, 2012 06:54 pm
@joefromchicago,

Quote:
Now, now, Frank, you've been warned about talking to yourself too much!

YOU…warn me???

That’ll be the day. But thanks for the laugh.

Quote:
Tone it down, big guy, don't bite my head off.

Good try, but it is not working.

Quote:
For you, I don't take the time, I make the time!

I can see that...and I appreciate it. I was just wondering why you would comment on my devotion to my own thread when you are showing your devotion to my thread.

Quote:
And you light up my life, Frankie-poo.

Well, then it must be working out for both of us...although I am beginning to question whether it really is for you. Wink

Quote:
Please, no rush. Take as much as five ... no, make it six minutes before you respond.

Nah, I’m right here in my own thread. No problem. Thanks for visiting as often as you do, Joe. I owe you big time.
Frank Apisa

Tue 22 May, 2012 07:01 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
That's nonsense. If an agnostic can't even define "god," then how can he even claim to be agnostic?

He can simply say, "I am an agnostic."

Jeez!

Quote:
It would be like saying "I haven't formed a belief about something that I can't define."

Once again, Jeez! I haven't been talking about "forming a belief", Joe. I have been saying I am not willing to express a guess or a belief.

You could check on it. I bet you cannot find one instance anywhere where I said anything about "forming a belief."

Quote:
At most, such an individual could claim to be ignorant , not agnostic.

Nah...an individual could easily claim to be an agnostic. Hell, the pope could easily claim to be an agnostic if he wanted to.

C'mon, Joe...your arguments are usually much more carefully presented...more logical and more persuasive.

Something in your personal life getting you down?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Tue 22 May, 2012 10:30 pm
@Frank Apisa,
joefromchicago, at 6:35, wrote:

Frank Apisa, nineteen minutes later, wrote:
Nah, I’m right here in my own thread.

Laughing
reasoning logic

Wed 23 May, 2012 12:44 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

Do you think that I should tell him about the invisible lollypops as well? How about the possible spaghetti monsters?
Frank Apisa

Wed 23 May, 2012 02:03 am
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
joefromchicago, at 6:35, wrote:

Quote:
Frank Apisa, nineteen minutes later, wrote:
Nah, I’m right here in my own thread.

Really putting lots of effort into it, Joe. I like that. Dedication! You are someone I can count on. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Frank Apisa

Wed 23 May, 2012 02:05 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 4990760)
Quote:

Quote:
Do you think that I should tell him about the invisible lollypops as well? How about the possible spaghetti monsters?

I think you should. And any other obsessions also.
izzythepush

Wed 23 May, 2012 02:56 am
@Frank Apisa,
I don't what is so outlandish about unicorns. Surely science is capable of grafting a horn on the head of a horse.