I do not believe gods exist…but I do not believe there are no gods.

ronald001

Mon 21 May, 2012 12:08 am
@Frank Apisa,
True statement is "God ever and forever, here and there exists......always exist
Krumple

Mon 21 May, 2012 01:11 am
@ronald001,
ronald001 wrote:

True statement is "God ever and forever, here and there exists......always exist

How is that a true statement? What supports it to make it a true statement? As far as I can tell it is just something you say without anything to support it. In other words conjecture. So what you say is actually meaningless until you can support it with something. Until then you might as well be babbling.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Mon 21 May, 2012 01:44 am
@Frank Apisa,
I don't know if they're as popular as they used to be. When I was a kid they used to be collected by a man knocking on our door.

They still show the pools number and score with the football results, and if a numbered game is postponed, the pool panel still meets to decide the scxore for pools purposes.

I must admit, I've never done it, and when I saw a coupon in isolation I couldn't work out how to complete it, and was too embarassed to ask anyone.

It was the lottery before the lottery, and the pools lobbied against the lottery in the early days.

Frank Apisa

Mon 21 May, 2012 01:56 am
@izzythepush,
Yup, there were "collectors" back when I was there. It seems to me there was a name for them other than "collectors", but I just cannot bring it to mind. I did not realize you guys have the lottery also. (Back then there was an Irish lottery that was very popular, but no lottery in England.) In my opinion, the Pools had it all over the lottery. Some of the "permutation" and "combination" tickets were almost math problems. Stuff like "any two of these six combined with any any two of these other six or any two of these other six."

On weekends when there were lots of ties, things got pretty hectic trying to figure out our score.
Frank Apisa

Mon 21 May, 2012 01:57 am
@ronald001,
Quote:

I suspect you are not going to sell that here in A2K. But you certainly can try.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Mon 21 May, 2012 02:49 am
@Frank Apisa,
On another thread FM told me that it was the low scoring and amount of draws that put him off football. As the pools is based on predicting score draws, it's hard to see how that would work in a sport where there are hardly any draws.

Over here, when the football season has finished, the pools are based on Australian football teams.
FOUND SOUL

Mon 21 May, 2012 02:53 am
@izzythepush,
Erm go the Crows? Smile

I do believe that "something" exists. Why don't we change it to that ........after all, there are things that not even science can explain, let alone man.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Mon 21 May, 2012 03:14 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
On another thread FM told me that it was the low scoring and amount of draws that put him off football. As the pools is based on predicting score draws, it's hard to see how that would work in a sport where there are hardly any draws.

Yeah, the drawn games are the key.

That is why I said we might build it around 1st, halftime, and 3rd quarter scores...which, if you drop the first number often can be tie scores.

A 7 - 7 1st quarter score or a 14 - 24 halftime score is not unusual at all. And a 10 - 0 1st quarter or a 14 - 34 3rd quarter is not unusual. So by dropping the first number of the score...the needed "drawn" action could be had. Even the final score could be included using the "drop the first digit." A game ending at 24 - 14 would be a "drawn" game.

Anyway, I doubt it will ever come to pass. We Americans like betting on the outcome of the games too much for pool play...but considering how popular the Pools were among American servicemen in the UK, it would be interesting to see what would happen.

(Haven't thought about this in years and years. Fun doing so. Thanks for the opportunity.)
izzythepush

Mon 21 May, 2012 04:45 am
@Frank Apisa,
People a finding new ways to bet all the time over here, this has increased exponentially since gambling was deregulated and they can now advertise on television. The pools is a bit old hat, people bet on the score, scorers, time of first goal etc.
joefromchicago

Mon 21 May, 2012 08:20 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
Essentially, in this thread I mentioned that I do not believe gods exist. I have mentioned that many times before, and I've never had a heated reaction to it....

I also mentioned in this thread that I do not believe there are no gods—that I do not believe gods do not exist. I do not ever remember a reaction that I would consider heated to that...

Now here, I mentioned both items together...and people have gone absolutely ape over it...telling me that it is absurd for me to be of both those minds

Yeah, I hate it when that happens. It's like when I said the world was round, nobody much noticed. And then, when I said the world was flat, I didn't get much of a reaction either. But when I said that I believed the world was simultaneously flat and round, it amazed me how people reacted. I just don't understand it!

Really, Frank, the day you develop some self-awareness is the day you'll be a whole lot less funny. Don't ever change, buddy.
Joe Nation

Mon 21 May, 2012 08:44 am
@izzythepush,
I like betting on whether or not a baseball game will last into infinity.
It's a possibility every single game.

An eternal, infinite universe requires no gods nor requires a belief or disbelief or non-belief in such; it just is.

Joe(no if, ands, or but and no not-nos)Nation
izzythepush

Mon 21 May, 2012 08:48 am
@Joe Nation,
Is it a possibility, or does it just seem like that?

Cricket can go on and on as well, but Test matches have a limit of five days. If the match isn't finished by then, it's declared a draw regardless of how well each side is doing.
Joe Nation

Mon 21 May, 2012 09:46 am
@izzythepush,
Nope. A baseball game can be called due to rain or tornado or even on account of darkness, but unless there is a league rule wherein both teams agree, a baseball game must continue until one team is ahead and there is a final out.
There are no ties in baseball.

There are also no limits as to the distance of the fences, whereas in one park Center field in 405 feet in another it could be 425, but there could be NO FENCE AT ALL, just in case Ortiz drives one completely into orbit.

Joe(and it's going, going, going, going..... ....∞)Nation
izzythepush

Mon 21 May, 2012 09:49 am
@Joe Nation,
In practice, do games go on for more than five days?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Mon 21 May, 2012 09:50 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
There are also no limits as to the distance of the fences, whereas in one park Center field in 405 feet in another it could be 425, but there could be NO FENCE AT ALL, just in case Ortiz drives one completely into orbit.

Not too sure what you mean by this, is the fence the boundary or perimeter?
Joe Nation

Mon 21 May, 2012 10:16 am
@izzythepush,
If a batter hits a pitched ball over the outfield fences, it's a home run. The ball cannot be retrieved somehow and thrown back onto the field of play. One defense that some ball clubs have employed is to move the fences back as far as possible (and still leave room for fans to sit and actually see the ball game.)
That way it's harder for visiting teams to use their power hitters to score home runs.
Technically speaking there doesn't have to be any outfield fences in baseball, making every hitter have to run around the bases as the outfielders retrieve the ball (no automatic home runs).
In cricket, the batter just goes from one wicket to the other, right? but in baseball to score a run, the batter has to go to first, second and third base before running back to home plate.
In games we played as kids on open fields there were no fences, if you hit a ball, you ran the bases until the ball was thrown back to base area. Sometimes a ball would be hit so far that a runner could make all the bases before the left fielder even got to the ball.
So, no limits on the distance you can hit a ball and no time limitation to the game.
Joe(well, until your mother called you.)Nation
izzythepush

Mon 21 May, 2012 10:26 am
@Joe Nation,
In cricket we have a boundary line. If the ball is hit over the boundary it automatically scores a 6 if it crosses the boundary without touching the ground, and a 4 if it just rolls over.

That sounds a bit like your home run.

Other than that you score 1 run by running between wickets.

So I accept a single run in basketball is probably four times more strenuous than a run in cricket.

If you're criticising cricket for it's high scoring games, you're running contrary to a lot of your countrymen, who criticise football, (damned if I'll use the s word) for its very low scores.
Joe Nation

Mon 21 May, 2012 11:20 am
@izzythepush,
I know, Americans crack me up. They whine about low scoring in soccer/football ~~
"What? 90 minutes and it ends up 3-1? !!"
" Yeah, but in your football game which ended 21-7, it was the same amount of scoring....."
<dumbfounded looks abound>
I'd like to personally apologize for the American Shoot-Out being added to every game in the universe now.
Nature abhors a vacuum, Americans will not abide with ties or draw.

Joe(Like kissing your sister)Nation
failures art

Mon 21 May, 2012 11:26 am
@Joe Nation,
I heard that on NPR too.

A
R
T
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Mon 21 May, 2012 11:33 am
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
Yeah, I hate it when that happens. It's like when I said the world was round, nobody much noticed. And then, when I said the world was flat, I didn't get much of a reaction either. But when I said that I believed the world was simultaneously flat and round, it amazed me how people reacted. I just don't understand it!

Really, Frank, the day you develop some self-awareness is the day you'll be a whole lot less funny. Don't ever change, buddy.

Thank you, Joe.

My statements dealt with an absence of belief in two different things. I think by now you actually do understand what I was saying...and that there is no contradiction...but you simply cannot allow yourself to acknowledge it.

I've seen this in you often...and it is the kind of thing that seems to make you happy.

Don't ever change, buddy. I like when you are happy. Wink