Time Magazine's Breastfeeding Cover Controversy

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 10:17 pm
Quote:
Time Magazine's Breastfeeding Cover Controversy
All I care about is that government take a purely laissez faire approach (or better: non-approach) to the situation,
acknowledging that it has NO jurisdiction in the matter.

Beyond that: it shud be freely a matter of personal preference,
regardless of how elderly toddlers are.

David
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 10:26 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Did I miss something here? Where the hell does the government come into this? I thought we were talking about the publishing industry as represented by Time magazine. What the hell's the gummint gotta do with it?
dlowan

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 10:28 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Gummint is one of his King Charles' heads.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 10:45 pm
http://s3.guyism.com/up/2012/05/time-magazine-breastfeeding-cover-640x853.jpg

When did Time decide to follow the new Newsweek into yellow journalism? I think they would be better off closing up shop, preserving what ever remains of their good names.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 11:07 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
Did I miss something here? Where the hell does the government come into this? I thought we were talking about the publishing industry as represented by Time magazine. What the hell's the gummint gotta do with it?
Maybe I was unclear; lemme try again:
I express the opinion that ANYTHING that the magazine does in this connection is OK,
as long as no censorship nor other government interference manifests itself.

As to breastfeeding itself: I take a purely libertarian point of vu.
Its their own business; leave them alone.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 11:11 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
http://s3.guyism.com/up/2012/05/time-magazine-breastfeeding-cover-640x853.jpg

When did Time decide to follow the new Newsweek into yellow journalism? I think they would be better off closing up shop, preserving what ever remains of their good names.
I disagree. There is nothing rong with their name,
insofar as this is concerned and their mission is to make $$$$$ for their stockholders.
I wish them good luck with that.

( U r just jealous because she is competing with your restaurant. )

David
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 11:26 pm
I wonder how many of these freaks there are.....so far all I can find is that about 7% of children are still on the tit at 18 months

http://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/data/NIS_data/2007/age.htm

I cant help but wonder is this is self indulgent behavior from moms which is setting these boys up for failed relationships...I once was talking to a woman who dumped a man for the sole reason that he constantly wanted to suck on her tits, which alloyed her. The last thing she wanted to do was to play mommy to a grown man. If we give boys all they want as children will they want more as an adult? Less?

Quote:
Jamie Grumet from Los Angeles says she isn’t ashamed that she still breastfeeds her 3-year-old son, who will turn four next month and will still continue to be breastfed. “I don’t consider breast-feeding immodest at all. I’m not shy about doing it in public.”

Jamie also has a 5-year-old (adopted) son of a different race who she breastfeeds as well.

Read more: http://gossiponthis.com/2012/05/10/time-magazine-cover-shows-mom-breastfeeding-her-almost-4-year-old-son/#ixzz1uXIpgq67
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 11:48 pm
@hawkeye10,
Its a purely personal decision; choice of food.

David
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 12:00 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

David

Or maybe adult indulgence at the expense of the child, as we so often with the SAFETY! fetish aficionados (an abuse of the young that I take every opportunity to criticize)

Quote:
But this leads to my second and more profound problem with it. Attachment parenting demands not just certain actions you take with your baby but also certain emotional states to accompany those actions. So, it’s not just enough to breast-feed but one has to experience “breast-feeding induced maternal nirvana.” And it’s not enough to snuggle—you have to snuggle enough to achieve a spiritual high. As Badinter has said, once women were just expected to tolerate their babies, Betty Draper style, but now they are expected to experience “jouissance,” loosely translated as “orgasm.” And this is what makes the movement truly oppressive.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2012/05/10/time_s_breastfeeding_cover.html
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 12:09 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Yes, of course, but I was taken aback by your even mentioning the government inasmuch as there has been no suggestion of censorship or anything along those lines that I am aware of. I agree with you holeheartedly, of course, keeping the freedom of speech clause of the 1st Amendment in mind. I was just surprised you'd even mntion it. In the context of this thread, censorship is not an issue. Good taste, perhaps, is.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 02:21 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
Yes, of course, but I was taken aback by your even mentioning the government inasmuch as there has been no suggestion of censorship or anything along those lines that I am aware of. I agree with you holeheartedly, of course, keeping the freedom of speech clause of the 1st Amendment in mind. I was just surprised you'd even mntion it. In the context of this thread, censorship is not an issue. Good taste, perhaps, is.
Well, people have different tastes. I was annoyed & disturbed while watching a movie,
when my girlfriend angrily uttered some disgruntled objections when a girl's breast came into vu.
I am alarmed ` too occasionally watching TV when alien tastes r represented thereon--
things that were held in abhorrence, in the earlier decades of TV.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 02:35 am
@hawkeye10,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

David
hawkeye10 wrote:
Or maybe adult indulgence at the expense of the child,
WHATAYAMEAN???? Ya think she 's charging him??

hawkeye10 wrote:
as we so often with the SAFETY!
fetish aficionados (an abuse of the young that I take every opportunity to criticize)
I don 't see that considerations of safety r exaggerated in that picture.

Quote:
But this leads to my second and more profound problem with it. Attachment parenting demands [????] not just certain actions you take with your baby but also certain emotional states to accompany those actions. So, it’s not just enough to breast-feed but one has to experience “breast-feeding induced maternal nirvana.” [Who judges that???] And it’s not enough to snuggle—you have to [????]snuggle enough to achieve a spiritual high. As Badinter has said, once women were just expected to tolerate their babies, Betty Draper style, but now they are expected to experience “jouissance,” loosely translated as “orgasm.” And this is what makes the movement truly oppressive.
"OPPRESSIVE"??????? This is being done to the kid against his will????

David
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 07:27 am
@hawkeye10,
I always get a kick out of how Hawkeye, who rants about how the "collective" is trying to control how he expresses his sexuality, nevertheless wants to invoke cultural norms whenever he encounters something he considers "icky."
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 07:33 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
I wonder how many of these freaks there are.....so far all I can find is that about 7% of children are still on the tit at 18 months

In the last nine years, our pediatrician has gone from recommending breastfeeding for 6 months to recommending breastfeeding for 18 months or longer.

World norm is for extending breastfeeding considerably longer than what is typical in the US.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 07:39 am
@hawkeye10,
http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2012/05/10/time_s_breastfeeding_cover.html

Quote:
her blog’s name alone is so obnoxious that I don’t care to delve further

So, he gives a bunch of pop culture references (including Game of Thrones, for God's sake), a recitation of his visceral impressions, and springboards into a rant about attachment parenting.

lulz. That's some fine journalism there, Lou. That blog post is exactly the kind of reaction the cover was intended to spark, IMO.

Quote:
The mom and son’s twin impassive expressions, with just the teeniest hint of So What? **** You.

Actually, I think there's a whole bunch of "So What? **** you." going on.

That mom posing for that picture on the cover of a national magazine is a form of non-violent protest. Good on her.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 08:13 am
I recommend holding a child while breastfeeding.

That's really all I have to say.

Joe(wish I could have done it)Nation
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 08:41 am
Why's that chick got a midget biting her tit?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 09:10 am
@sozobe,
Quote:
the mother says that she was herself breastfed until age sex

Freud???? slip...

I do agree - the cover was for the shock factor. Doesn't even do justice to support this point of view - kinda wonder why the mom agreed to it seeing if she had half a brain this picture would give more support for opposition to what she is trying to promote.

Gives the appearance of promoting sex with kids rather than promoting the fact that breast feeding is non-sexual. And the stance this is supposed to be nurturing not sexual.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 09:43 am
In my opinion, extended breast feeding can help a country's unemployment statistics, and also lower a country's birthrate.

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 10:04 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
I recommend holding a child while breastfeeding.
I dunno; well, if u say so.

Joe Nation wrote:
That's really all I have to say.

Joe(wish I could have done it)Nation
This has never occurred to me b4.
I have no idea where to get a kid.

David

0 Replies