Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 01:12 pm
Hello,

I am very concerned. This all started in January. I had sex on January 1st, I believe it was safe--with a condom, he didn't even ejaculate. The first day of my last period was December 16, 2011. About a week after the 1st, I started having a strange back ache and the urge to urinate. Then, on January 20-24 I had a lot of red bleeding but it did not seem as crampy as usual. On January 29, I started to experiance a dry mouth which continued for a month. Then, in mid February I started to experiance a sticky/extra saliva like condition in my mouth. I took several pregnancy tests.I even took a blood test on February 8, was this too early? It came back negative. I also had a bunch of other blood work done. It showed I had low estrogen levels so an OBGYN has put me on Avianne to straighten out my estrogen levels. All of my other levels seemed pretty. Then, by the end of February-March I started to feel nausea, pelvic pain and an increase sense of smell that has now faded but it was so weird. On April 7, I had a transabdominal ultrasound done of my abdomin and pelvis. The pelvis ultrasound said: my uterus was 8.0x2.2x4.0, an edometrial stripe of 6 mm and a small amount of fluid seen adjacent to the fundus of the uterus. What does the fluid mean? Also, is that an appropriate size for a uterus? Was it too soon to see a fetus in a transabdominal pelvic ultrasound at this point? It said my right ovary measured 3.1x2.9x1.5 and contains small follicles. The left ovary measures 2.9x1.5x3.4cm with a cyst measuring 2.2x1.9x1.1.
With the birth control pills, I started having bleeding a week prior to the sugar pills on April 15 and continued until the 26. At times it was heavier and then others more of a spotting. Im not sure whether to consider it a period or not. I also felt very crampy prior to this bleeding. Now, I keep feeling this flutterring sensation in my lower abdomin or both the left and right side--I feel really gassy too.
I just had a CT scan done today of my abdomin and pelvic area. Would a doctor be able to see a pregnancy with a CT scan?? That is my major worry. I am currently constipated--which is why I had the CT scan done and will be having a colonoscopy on Friday.
I have had so many symptoms and have yet to find an answer. I also had bloodwork done on Tuesday to check my salvory glands and another HCG test. This would be the second blood test, I have done over 20 HCG urine tests over the course of five months. What else can I do to get to the bottum of this??

Any Answer are Appreciated!!

Thank you

chai2

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 03:07 pm
@lb558846,
With all this specific information you seem to already have, it hasn't occured to you to ask the people performing these tests, or, God forbid, the actual doctor?
sozobe

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 03:52 pm
@chai2,
Yes, I'm a little confused about what you (lb558846) are asking.

If you're just asking if you're pregnant, it seems very unlikely to me -- but I don't know.

Are you asking whether you should find a new doctor?

Otherwise, I don't really get why you're not listening to what the doctors you have been seeing have been telling you.

Sometimes things are "off" without any major medical issue behind them -- if all of these tests have been done and the conclusion is that nothing major is wrong with you, then I think you can relax and move on.

If the conclusion is that something is wrong but they don't know what, they should keep looking.

If the conclusion is that nothing is wrong or they don't know what, and for that reason you're unsatisfied with the care you're getting, then probably a good idea to move on to a new doctor.
lb558846

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 04:39 pm
@sozobe,
I try to ask the doctors but they do not seem to know the answer. Would you think pregnancy is completly out of the question?

My questions are:

1. Can a fetus be seen on an abdominal pelvic ultrasound at around 13-15 weeks?
2. Can a CT scan show a pregnancy?
3. What causes excess saliva?

I am a young college student. I am freaked out honestly. Any answers you have will help put my mind on ease? I have asked so many doctors too.
chai2

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 04:47 pm
@lb558846,
lb, we aren't doctors here, we can't give medical advice.

It sounds like you're just trying to find anyone who will tell you something to make you feel better.

Frankly it seems unlikely every doctor has looked you in the eye and said "I don't know."
lb558846

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 05:01 pm
@chai2,
Honestly, I am just looking for advice. If you have an idea to my previous questions please let me know, if not...that's fine.
Irishk

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 05:32 pm
@lb558846,
Quote:
an OBGYN has put me on Avianne to straighten out my estrogen levels.
You aren't pregnant. Aviane, taken while pregnant, can cause severe birth defects so no responsible doctor would prescribe it if he/she thought you were pregnant.

You might want to look up other side effects of this drug to see if it's causing any of your other symptoms.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 05:48 pm
@lb558846,
I'm not a doctor, and I don't have a crystal ball, but it's highly unlikely that you're pregnant -- at least not from the Jan 1 event. Is one doctor ordering all of these tests? At some point (probably after the colonoscopy), you should request an appt with your primary care physician or gynecologist and ask him/her to help you understand all these results. The short answers are, No - your Feb 8th blood test was not too soon. Yes - they can see a fetus at 4 months via ultrasound. I think the dr would have informed you if your uterus/ovary measurements were abnormal for the point you were in your menstrual cycle when the ultrasound was done. I think the dr would consider your late January bleed as a normal menstrual cycle. The earlier back/bladder pressure may have been a low-grade UTI, which are Very Common in young adults after sex. You've been diagnosed with low estrogen and a single ovarian cyst. The dry mouth/saliva episode may be related to low estrogen or it may be something else altogether. Did they test for other hormone levels? How regular were your menstrual cycles before this all started?
chai2

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 05:58 pm
@lb558846,
lb558846 wrote:

Honestly, I am just looking for advice. If you have an idea to my previous questions please let me know, if not...that's fine.

Advice?

Then I advice you go back to your doctors and get the answers from them, or find new doctors, and ask them.

0 Replies

lb558846

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 06:30 pm
@JPB,
I have seen my family practitioner, gynecologist (2 actual) and a gastroenterologists. Both gynecologists did internal exams, would that also indicate a sign of pregnancy? JPB, thank you so much for your insight. I still feel the constant urge to pee and am constipated. I was tested for a UTI and bladder infection but nothing. I had all of the hormones tested, estraidol was the lowest. My menstrual cycles are very irregular to begin with which is why this is all so confusing and hard to understand. Prior to January, I had a period on December 16-21 but that was following Plan B which I had my period before that from Dec 1-5--I believe this may be why my cycle is so confusing. I've only had sex three times in my entire life and of course all of this has happened, I hope it doesn't sound very immature of me to be asking all of this. I just feel a lot of pelvic pressure and bloatedness. A CT scan would also show pregnancy at this stage right? I'm sorry it sounds like I have so many questions which I do but I am just concerned for my body and of course any harm that may be occurring.
JPB

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 06:46 pm
@lb558846,
CT scans are not normally performed to determine pregnancy. A developing fetus may be detected if the pregnancy is advanced enough, but a CT scan poses risks to a fetus and wouldn't be used to determine pregnancy. It sounds like your dr has ruled out pregnancy and is now trying to determine a different cause for your symptoms.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 06:47 pm
@lb558846,
Quote:
I had all of the hormones tested, estraidol was the lowest.
Were any of them elevated?
lb558846

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 06:57 pm
@JPB,
Would it be visible at would be 20 weeks on a CT scan? I think I just need to mentally convince myself pregnancy can not be the case. It's just a scary thought being so young and a large mistake that I need to move past. I just want to feel better and I don't know the cause which make this so frustrating.

No, just one lower. I believe it was a level 21. Apparently, close to menopause? But, my gynocologist contributed that to my excessive exercising as a D1 athlete.

JPB, I really appreciate all of the advice youre giving.
JPB

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 07:12 pm
@lb558846,
You've had 20+ negative pregnancy tests over a four month period and an ultrasound which showed no signs of pregnancy.

Fetal development progresses quite rapidly in the third-fourth months and, yes, organ and bone structures should be visible on CT scan. Have any of your doctors indicated that you could be pregnant? They wouldn't radiate a fetus to see if it was there. There's no way they're doing a colonoscopy to determine a pregnancy. They've moved past that and are looking for other causes. You should too!
lb558846

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 08:12 pm
@JPB,
I know, you're right. I guess its just that fear of not knowing what's wrong, just the timing is strange. Also, I took the drug Accutance about a year and a half ago for six month--do you think any of these symptoms could be related to that?

Do you know what a small amount of fluid seen adjacent to the fundus of the uterus means? No, aside from implementing a pregnancy test. I guess I just have the fear of the test being wrong.

The colonoscopy would be for my constipation. Nothing unusual was seen on the CT scan though.
JPB

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 08:52 pm
@lb558846,
Ok, that's another thing that should be mentioned to your doctor. Was that prescribed by the same doctor? I assume you took Accutane for acne.

If so, you should tell one doctor (preferably your gynecologist) that you were treated for acne, have a long history of irregular menstrual cycles, have ongoing pelvic pain and bloating, low estrogen, a 2cm ovarian cyst on one ovary and many small follicles on the other one. Part of the problem with seeing many doctors is that no one clinician is putting all of your symptoms together.

Sorry, I don't know anything about the fluid. I hope you get some relief soon and that it all adds up to an answer sooner than later. Keep us posted, ok?
lb558846

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 07:12 am
@JPB,
I did take it for acne. She is aware but everyone says oh no that was a year and a half ago. But, I have seen commercials in the long run where people have been affected.

Its just scary because I leave for my internship this Sunday so I am down to the wire to figure out what's wrong with me.
JPB

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 07:22 am
@lb558846,
Well... you have a lot of the symptoms of an endrine disorder call PCOS, or polycystic ovary syndrome. Syndromes are defined as a collection of symptoms which manifest themselves differently in different people. Syndromes tend to be much more difficult to diagnose than diseases because there is no one single test that you can do to get a diagnosis and everyone with the syndrome has a slightly different set of symptoms.

Remember - I'm not a doctor!!! Take the list of symptoms I wrote out above (add in the chronic bladder pressure) and ask her if it could be PCOS.

Complications in women with PCOS can range from mild to severe. Caught early, the symptoms can be controlled. I don't know that this is what your problems add up to. You don't have elevated male hormones (androgens), but that doesn't rule out PCOS. I can't diagnose you, but at least this will give you a starting point for a discussion with your doctor.

http://www.diabetesdaily.com/wiki/Polycystic_ovary_syndrome

edit: I'm not trying to infer that the Accutane may have "caused" your symptoms, but the fact that your acne was significant enough to require treatment is another pointer towards PCOS.

Good luck with your internship!
lb558846

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 07:52 am
@JPB,
Thanks you so much JPB. I also have times of nausea because of the saliva I believe. I really hope someone can figure this out, you've been a great deal of help.

Thank you!
0 Replies

lb558846

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 08:52 am
@JPB,
I am having a pelvic ultrasound and transvaginal ultrasound done today. I will let you know of the results.