fluency

ziawj2

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 09:42 am
My student wrote:
This week is coming. I want to have a date with you. I hope you can come. I also have a surprise to you for thanks you.
I am not satisfied the sentences because I think they are not fluent and natural. I made the following changes:
Do you have any plan this weekend? I want to see you then. I have bought you a gift and I am sure you will be surprised at it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,225 • Replies: 4
No top replies

contrex

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 11:35 am
Your changes have greatly improved the student's work. Your own writing contained an error - my change is in red:

I am not satisfied with the sentences because I think they are not fluent and natural.

Also, it would be even more fluent and natural if the student wrote:

Do you have any plans for this weekend?
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 11:45 am
@ziawj2,
Quote:
This week is coming. I want to have a date with you. I hope you can come. I also have a surprise to you for thanks you.

Are you free this week? I would like to take you on a date. I hope you can come. I have a surprise for you, as a thank-you gift.

Quote:
Do you have any plan this weekend? I want to see you then. I have bought you a gift and I am sure you will be surprised at it.

Do you have any plans this weekend? I would like to see. I bought you a gift and I am sure you'll be surprised.
Ceili

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 12:21 pm
@Ceili,
I would like to see you.. sorry tried to edit but the internet went down.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 12:23 pm
@ziawj2,
Quote:
I am not satisfied the sentences because I think they are not fluent and natural. I made the following changes:

I think your version, while more fluent, also changes what your student was saying?
Does the student really mean "weekend" or was he/she referring to the coming week? The student's surprise might not be a "gift".

Quote:

I'd like to see you this coming week(end) and I hope you'll be able to join me. I have a surprise for you. Let me know. Thanks.

or

I'd like to make a date with you for this coming week(end). I hope you can accept. I have a surprise for you. Let me know. Thanks.

0 Replies