Coke, soda, or pop? Netizens drink up e-cola poll

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 11:58 am
Not at all spicy! It's a very nice pop (darn danny and his use of pop! I'm using it now!).

Not as good as ginger ale, but nice. Look for Guarana from a brand called "Antartica".

They recently distributed it at the NY stock exchange when they announced the AmBev merger.

Maybe it's already stateside but dunno, there have been some crude attempts at Guarana sodas. In California there was one called "Josta" that was disgusting.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 04:56 pm
ehBeth, I love Canada Dry gingerale. I'll have to try the Jamaican hot gingerale. I'll pick up a couple the next time I'm at SuperStore.

Craven, I haven't seen Guarana soft drinks in Canada - yet, but we buy one brand in the States (Bawls) and bring it home. It's sold everywhere. My son drinks it after he works out, to boost his energy and my daughter grabs a bottle when she has to stay up all night, studying. Two and a half times the caffeine than in coffee.
0 Replies

freemanBenson

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 10:31 am
can i chip in?

we call these carbonated drinks "coke" even if it's pepsi. "pop" is also used but because its an existing local brand. but the general term is softdrinks (yes, it's one word, dont know why.)
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 11:11 am
Me too freeB, but my favorite is Diet Coke. However, I interchange Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi all the time. Hmm, might be a law against that, do you think?
0 Replies

freemanBenson

Reply Sun 10 Nov, 2002 06:56 am
one law pops to mind, my boss always says this...
"if you work for pepsi, never let yourself get caught drinking coke (especially inside pepsi's premises!)."
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Sun 10 Nov, 2002 07:53 am
Hi Freeman -- it's been a while. Good to see you.

Well, here (Southern Indiana) one hears a hotch-pot of terms, owing I suspect to most folks just passing through, name-dropping along with other detritus. So we hear soda, pop, soda pop, coke, co-cola, softdrink, RC and a moonpie, all uttered impartially. I'm a Pepsi dude, myself. One term we don't hear is tonic ... not too many beantowners pass this way, I don't reckon. I imagine if someone were to order a tonic hereabouts, they'd be served Geritol.

NB: Phoenix, our machine at work has a slot for Caffeine-free Diet Pepsi. We had to ask for it special on behalf of a demanding fatso, but, anyway, it is on the market. Tastes like nothing on earth though.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 10 Nov, 2002 08:06 am
going to look for guarana later this afternoon - not sure i'll be in the right neighbourhood, but the big grocery there has something for almost everyone
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 08:31 am
I'm a Fresca addict! It's a diet grapefruit soft drink, but tastes much better than that description sounds.

Ginger beer is great, too - like ginger ale only much more gingery.
0 Replies

Jara

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2003 01:08 am
have a coke and a smile
I lived in Mississippi for most of my life, and people there all ask for coke, after which the proper question, "What kind?" is asked. I always reply, "Dr. Pepper." Laughing

My dad, on the other hand, grew up in Missouri; he drinks "soda-pop." :wink:
0 Replies