Coke, soda, or pop? Netizens drink up e-cola poll

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2002 11:31 am
http://i.cnn.net/cnn/2002/TECH/internet/09/12/offbeat.pop.vs.soda.ap/story.map.jpg

n
Green areas order pop, red areas call it Coke, and the blue areas ask for soda.

JACKSON, Mississippi (AP) -- In the South it's called Coke, even when it's Pepsi. Many in Boston say tonic. A precious few even order a fizzy drink.

But the debate between those soft drink synonyms is a linguistic undercard in the nation's carbonated war of words.

The real battle: pop vs. soda.

Order a soda in Michigan or Minnesota and you're clearly an outsider. Ask for pop in New York City and you risk being ridiculed.

Bert Vaux, a linguistics professor at Harvard University, says many Americans are overly passionate about how they refer to the popular beverage family.

"For reasons that are unclear to me people feel they have license to attack those who say pop as stupid or illogical," Vaux said. "I use Coke because I grew up in Houston. They're not too fond of that around here. However, it's not as stigmatized as saying pop."

The pop-soda-Coke divide has always created vague, and usually incorrect, assumptions about who says what where, Vaux said. But for the first time, Internet technology -- and 29,000 votes on a Web site -- has offered a definition of the debate's borders.

The site, created eight years ago as a college project, asks visitors to enter their childhood zip code and the soft drink term they use. Their vote is then placed on a map as a colored dot.

What has emerged is a swath of Coke votes across the South, pop votes in the Midwest and Canada, and soda votes in the Northeast and California, and -- curiously -- in St. Louis and Milwaukee.

Who's winning? It's, um, bottle neck and neck. Pop and soda each have about 11,300 votes, or 39 percent. Coke has about 4,800 votes.

Aside from raw numbers from the survey -- whose scientific value is a matter of debate -- the site features posted messages from Web surfers who are passionate about their word for the drink:

Historically, the correct term is 'phosphate,' which was defined by soda jerks. ... Therefore soda is clearly WRONG.

Be aware that soft drink is common in the South, where I am from, and using 'pop' or 'soda' will get you a VERY peculiar look.

New Orleans resident Kristi Trentecosta, a Coke person, is one of those who might look askance at people who say pop, a term she says is "creepy."

"It's kind of dorky. It's kind of like a 'gee wilikers,"' she said. "It's just one of those things that always sounded odd to me. I'm sure there's no good reason for it."

Logic has little to do with a person's position on the pop-soda spectrum, Vaux said. "A kid hearing pop growing up in Ohio doesn't think, 'Hmm, that isn't sufficiently logical for me. I'm not going to use it," Vaux said. "They just use whatever they hear."

When Alan McConchie was a freshman at the California Institute of Technology in 1993, he broke the ice with new classmates by asking, "Soda or pop?" One Web page and almost 30,000 votes later, the computer programmer is now a part-time linguist.

"Florida splits almost right in half between saying Coke and soda -- just like the Bush-Gore thing," McConchie said. "We're learning that half of Florida is a Southern state and the other half is people who moved in from the North."

Seethu Seetharaman, a marketing professor at Washington University in St. Louis, said McConchie's data isn't reliable because it's not a random sample.

But North Carolina State University linguistics professor Walt Wolfram disagreed, saying the pop-soda-Coke divide is regional and not based on race, age or income.

As for McConchie, he grew up in pop country -- in Washington state -- but later moved to soda regions: California, where he went to school, and New York state, where he makes his home. So what does he call a bubbly beverage now?

"I don't really drink it that much anymore," he said.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/internet/09/12/offbeat.pop.vs.soda.ap/index.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 11,819 • Replies: 28
No top replies

Pharon

Reply Tue 17 Sep, 2002 10:47 pm
Well I know you

might find this a little humorous but where I come from we use none of the above.

I am South African and we call it

"cold drink". South Africa being a multi-lingual country it is sometimes necessary to come to a compromise when giving the

name to a common product. To add that “coke” is known as this in four different languages suggests it’s

pretty well understood.

The only other word we use on a regular basis is “coke” even when usually buying

Pepsi. Of the three; coke, pop and soda, we use one. This is strange however fore there are a lot of English Immigrants in

south Africa and “Pop” is a very English thing to say, but yet is not used.

Other than these two

“coke & cold drink”, there is nothing else we have to call it. Surely to think that we can call it

“soda” is crazy. Soda is the work we use for soda water. “Pop” simply doesn’t exist, many

don’t even know what it is when you ask for pop.

It makes me wonder what the people in Tibet call

it.
Thanx
Laters..
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 18 Sep, 2002 10:16 am
Dan-E's got me

calling the nasty stuff pop. Canadans!

I'm not big on tibetan but here ya go:

ba tshwa - alkali, soda
sa

rdzi ka - soda
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 18 Sep, 2002 10:29 am
Here in

Massachusetts, the natives (I didn't move here officially till '95, but was also here for school 79 - '83) call it tonic.

They pronounce it 'tawnic'.

I'm Jewish and I recall my grandmother (an immigrant from Austro-Hungary) usually said

'seltzer', even if it was cream soda or cola. Hmmm.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 5 Oct, 2002 02:42 pm
O.K. This is a

little off the topic, but I have a big beef with the guys who fill up the soda (yes, that is what I call it) machines. I

don't want the empty calories of a regular soda, so I prefer the diet. I am very sensitive to caffeine, so most regular cola

drinks are out of the question.

So why is it that I can very rarely find a caffeine free diet soda in a machine? Sad

There can be multiples of coke, even caffeine free coke, and regular Sprite, but rarely can you find a diet Sprite or a

caffeine free diet Coke in a soda machine. I protest! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2002 08:15 am
As Jespah has already pointed out, Bostonians for some obscure reason call it 'tonic.' I remember visiting upstate New York with my parents when I was probably about 13 or 14 years old and asking a cold drink pushcart vendor at Niagara Falls what kinds of tonic he had. You should have seen the puzzled look he gace me. A ctach-all term I've heard used several places in the States, including Boston, is "soft drink." That's "soft" as opposed to "hard liquor." Interesting aside -- in Latvian all "soft drinks" are called "lemonade." They use the word but it has nothing to do with lemons in their language. (Actually it's "limonade." Same thing.)
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2002 08:16 am
And I promise I'll start using spell check. It doesn't work on Abuzz, so I've gotten out of the habit. Sorry for the typos above.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2002 01:06 pm
Spell check doesn't work too well here yet either. It's in extreme beta.
0 Replies

Anonymous

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 05:45 pm
Hi there all.

c.i : I am sure you know as you have been there, that "soft drink" is quite an exceptable way of asking for any "cold drink"or "pop" in South Africa. As Pharon said previously it has to do with the variety of langauges spoken in S.A.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 06:09 pm
I'm a canajun, so i'll have a pop please. If i were with my cousins in germany, they'd be having a browse ( a fizzy).
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 06:24 pm
Oh great this like crick or creek! LOL - I like Sobe Green Tea for my POP.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 06:36 pm
eh-Beth's neighbour to the west will have a pop, too, maybe a soft drink once in a while.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 06:44 pm
mckenzie - do you get the president's choice soft drinks? i love the jamaican hot ginger ale - it's spiiiiiiiiiiiiicy !!!
0 Replies

Anonymous

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 06:46 am
I am in the dark AGAIN or STILL, haven't decided yet..
ehBeth wrote:
mckenzie - do you get the president's choice soft drinks? i love the jamaican hot ginger ale - it's spiiiiiiiiiiiiicy !!!

ehbeth: haya, You are going to have to acustomise me with the finer things in American Culture.

What is "jamaican hot ginger ale"?
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 07:34 am
This may amuse people.
In Denmark,there is a catch-all phrase when describing pop/soda and that is: "læskedrik" which,translated directly means "thirst quenching drink" .So,I´ll take a thirst quenching drink please.
Coke is called "Cola".
"Sodavand" is another which covers EVERY carbonated drink.This means soda water but if,as a tourist in Denmark you actually WANTED a soda water you´d ask for a "Danskvand":-Danish water.
Most of the soda water here is Ramlösa which is Swedish but the Danes call it "Danskvand" anyway.Crazy vikings.
0 Replies

Anonymous

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 07:41 am
hahahha I secound the crazy part of this. Living with the Dutch for so long I think it rubbed off from one to the other.. Laughing
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 11:40 am
Douglas, I'm not much of an expert on American stuff - more of an observer as I live north of the border.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 11:41 am
but on the Jamaican hot ginger ale ... do you get ginger beer where you are? imagine that with a ginger ale type fizz. It's a very nice, very refreshing drink. The only thing better, I think, is Ting, which is a grapefruit pop.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 11:50 am
No grapefruit or ginger ale in Brazil ;-(

But do you have Guarana pop?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 11:52 am
i'll have to check the south american grocery stores - maybe this weekend while Setanta is here. is it spicy?
0 Replies