treating colds?

sozobe

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 05:39 pm
Diarrhea? Shoulder cramps are correllated with diarrhea? Wink

Almost always the same place, deep in my shoulder joint.

Thanks for the info, though!
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 05:42 pm
Ooops! Didn't read your post very thoroughly did I? Embarrassed
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 05:42 pm
Definitely joint and not muscle?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 05:44 pm
Er, not definitely. I'm trying to remember... shoulder just HURT, in a deep throbbing way (uh oh, will that cause you to run away blushing?), I remember trying to massage it and doing a lot of windmilling sorts of things trying to get the pain to go away. Massage suggests more of a muscle thing, doesn't it?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 05:50 pm
sozobe : seems i was "born" with a delicate digestive system - but have survived so far !!! some 20 years ago and again two years ago my family physician(different ones) sent me to the gastro-intestinal unit at one of our local hospitals for a "work-up". when i had had my "full-blown" examinations completed, i asked for an interview with the chief of the g.i. unit and told him about my complaints(our old family doctor told me : "you have a nervous gut !"). his final advice was : " you SEEM(!) to be perfectly healthy; but if there is some food that gives you problems, just don't eat it! ". so that's the way i pretty well handle things, and it seems to work ! (i guess i'm somewhat like ehbeth's dogs; when they chew on something they don't like, THEY SPIT IT OUT - if it works for them, it should work for me). hbg
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 05:52 pm
sozobe wrote:
Er, not definitely. I'm trying to remember... shoulder just HURT, in a deep throbbing way (uh oh, will that cause you to run away blushing?), I remember trying to massage it and doing a lot of windmilling sorts of things trying to get the pain to go away. Massage suggests more of a muscle thing, doesn't it?

I would think so. And if doing windmills didn't cause pain, then I would think the joint would be okay because I would expect that movement would cause more pain than when the arm is still. Know what I mean?

Hmmm...interesting.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 05:59 pm
Oh, the windmilling caused pain, I just thought it might help... not sure why. :-? I don't think very clearly when I'm in pain, I guess. (Says the gal who had a 56 hr labor...)

I do think it was more muscular than bone/ joint, though.
0 Replies

theollady

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 07:02 pm
standupforpessimism,

I treat a cold with ENJOYMENT for ME.... i EAT, and eat, and eat, and eat- and drink some water, and some soda, (can't drink oj- the acid gets to my 'reflux')... but the more i consume and eliminate, the faster the whole thing moves on... (to you know where...)

my prescription... sleep between snacks.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 08:19 pm
*L* I could never remember how it went. Feed a fever starve a cold or starve a fever feed a cold! Seems you have the answer to that one! Wink
0 Replies

theollady

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 08:57 pm
Where are we going? And why am I in this handbasket?
Laughing
LOL caprice (get out quick--- a cold ain't THAT bad)
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 09:31 pm
*grins* Well despite the humour of that signature (I blatantly stole it from someone's web site) it seems to have so much truth. There are so many things in the world that seem to indicate we are headed in the wrong direction. We should be improving our relations, improving the human condition, improving how we treat our earth and the creatures we share this earth with. But that's for another thread. Wink
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 09:05 am
Good stuff, kids.

And just because I hate loose ends, here's what my immunology text (Parham, if it matters -- the naked guy on the cover gets me strange looks on the bus) has to say on fever:

Quote:
On balance, a raised body temperature helps the immune system in the fight against infection, because most bacterial and viral pathogens grow better at temperatures lower than those in the human body (my addition: seems like viruses, at least, would evolve for physiological temperatures), and adaptive immunity becomes more potent at higher temperatures. At elevated temperatures, bacterial and viral replication is decreased, whereas processing of antigen is enhanced.

As regards the statement about temperature increase as a feed-forward mechanism in the innate immune response (inflammation), I was apparently mistaken. I had taken the fact that cytokine secretion cause both a localized and a systemic increase in temperature to imply that this effect itself aided in the inflammatory response, but since apparently only antibody-production is aided by increased temp, I was just being stupid.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 09:59 am
Re: treating colds?
stand up for pessimism wrote:
What are some really good remedies for treating a cold?

1. Plenty of bed rest

2. Plenty of fluids

3. Hot chicken broth

4. ALkaseltzer ( works for me Razz )

See an MD, if you think you're developing pneumonia. Idea
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 10:05 am
Montana wrote:
For reasons still unknown, chicken soup is suppose to help.

I drink orange juice every day and I don't get sick often.

The hot chicken broth opens up and soothes nasal passages. Cool
0 Replies