tapestry

Loyanne

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2012 05:19 pm
What is a schmata? I have a picture, but don't know how to get it on here. I'm an old woman with not much computer "savvy".

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2012 05:25 pm
@Loyanne,
My understanding is that it is yiddish word for clothing and textiles but I'm no expert. Wait - someone who knows more will be along.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2012 05:29 pm
@ossobuco,
That's pretty much correct. The word is sometimes applied to other doo-dads as well, but the most common use is to apply it to textiles.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2012 05:31 pm
@Loyanne,
Do you have a photo? You can post it here, or someone here might be able to re-size it for you. A schmatta can be a lot more then just a tapestry.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2012 05:53 pm
Pardon my yiddish. She got the word from me on her original thread. I told her I couldn't help her without a picture and her description made the item sound like a thrift store schmata. It's actually means an old dress that is almost a rag. As in: "I can't go to the bar mitzvah because all I have is a closet full of schmatas"
jcboy

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2012 05:56 pm
@Green Witch,
hehehe, I kind of thought the same thing after reading her first thread. Cool
Green Witch

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2012 06:01 pm
@jcboy,
Yes, I'm a bit cranky today and I was trying not to be mean, but I guess my lack of patience came through in my cryptic response. Some people curse when they get impatient, I turn to yiddish.
jcboy

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2012 06:05 pm
@Green Witch,
Me too, I'm a Yiddish queen Razz
Green Witch

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2012 06:14 pm
@jcboy,
I'm more of a Yiddish princess, well former princess.
0 Replies

DavidKA

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 03:07 am
@Loyanne,
literally 'rag'
0 Replies