Online Dating - He won't Murder you - Promise...

boomerang

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 04:04 pm
@DrewDad,
It might have made a difference for my sister that she was (is) in her 50s and was looking for someone in the same age group. Her husband is in his 60s.

I think it would be a lot douchier for people in their 30s.
Green Witch

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 04:12 pm
Sometimes I'm sooo glad I'm not single anymore, but I also met my share of dates in bars and clubs, and didn't even have a chance to check out their writing and socializing skills via email. This is obviously a spoof. I know women who have joking searched for "a guy who won't kill me" on dating sites, thus someone knew that and created this profile hit. I would assume the site would take down these things pretty quickly in order to not intimidate the clientele.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 07:11 pm
I have a sociological theory (I'm sure it is not original) that a strong component in many peoples lives is to think of themselves as "fearless." This would explain why some people cross the street, before the light turns green, and the traffic has stopped, or drink and drive, or have casual intimate encounters with virtual strangers, take the shortcut through dark and deserted streets, etc., etc.

This could explain why the "meek shall inherit the Earth," since all the brave, fearless people may have got killed, through accidents, or whatever.

So, having joined a branch of the service, other than the Army, during the Vietnam Era, rather than getting drafted into the Army, tells one right away where I am on the "fearless scale." But, it does seem to be an "important" component of many people's persona and self-identity, in my opinion.

To reiterate, just my opinion.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 09:39 pm
@boomerang,
I shouldn't have said dating sites; I should have said people who are dating.

The proportion of jerks (male and female) is higher among the single population than among the general population, IMO.

Probably not so much for folks under 25 or so.
Mame

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2012 05:19 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

The proportion of jerks (male and female) is higher among the single population than among the general population, IMO.

Probably not so much for folks under 25 or so.

What are you basing this on? There are a lot of married jerks out there. Many of them tried to hit on me when I was younger, so I'm aware they're out there. Look at all the adulterers on this board alone. I question your statement.
Krumple

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2012 05:37 am
@Ceili,
I kind of don't get the point of this topic. Most might not get his humor if it is humor but isn't that really what he is actually trying to do? If there are women who think its cute or funny, then by all means he achieved success if they are into him.

It's like this, and ill use a personal example by what I mean.

I tend to be pretty perverted towards girls that I am dating. This sometimes is acceptable and other times not. Some girls really liked it, and others absolutely hated it. There were some who thought I was too tame about it. The point is, if you try to hide behind certain acceptable social acceptences, you will do nothing more than find the people who you really are not compatable with.

So lets say I'm filling out my online dating profile and I put nothing that was overly perverted on it, or even stated that I was not a pervert. Then they meet me and they see that I actually am, would be false advertisement.

I think this is what you are failing to see by his sense of humor. So many people try to promote themselves other than how they actually are. So when people actually meet you, they are disillusioned because you sold something that was not honest. So this guy might have a strange sense of humor, but I bet there is a woman out there who would find it cute or funny and take him up on it.

0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2012 05:49 am
I read it as completely fake, top to bottom. The picture doesn't look 30, for one. I think it's a ~24-year-old's idea of what a 30-year-old looks like.

I thought some of it was funny. Not quite Onion-level, which is what it's aspiring to IMO, but some good stuff. I liked "Six things I could never do without" (the "Children. (They are our future)" plonked in the middle of the murdery items).
dlowan

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2012 06:46 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

I read it as completely fake, top to bottom. The picture doesn't look 30, for one. I think it's a ~24-year-old's idea of what a 30-year-old looks like.

I thought some of it was funny. Not quite Onion-level, which is what it's aspiring to IMO, but some good stuff. I liked "Six things I could never do without" (the "Children. (They are our future)" plonked in the middle of the murdery items).

I agree.

Except I think the picture is the jokester's idea of what the audience might think a psychopathic killer looks like....so the picture is part of the joke.

BTW, I don't agree with your sig line. A witty saying proves the creator thereof is witty.

sozobe

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2012 06:57 am
@dlowan,
Good point about the picture.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2012 07:10 am
@Mame,
It's just a theory.
Mame

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2012 08:34 am
@DrewDad,
Right. So what are you basing it on?
DrewDad

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2012 10:09 am
@Mame,
Statistical and economic theory.

Lets say there are two evenly-divided groups. Nice people (guys and girls), and jerks (guys and girls).

Let's randomly pair 'em off as couples. And let's assume that gender is not an issue (hetero folks always get paired with the opposite sex, and folks who like the same flavor always get paired with the same sex.)

You end up with:

25% of couples are nice/nice
50% of couples are nice/jerk
25% of couples are jerk/jerk

Assuming jerk/jerk couples have the highest rate of breakups, nice/jerks a moderate rate of breakups, and nice/nice couples the lowest rate of breakups, you see that the pool of nice people rapidly shrinks, and the pool of jerks remains large.

Yes, it's not empirically validated. Yes, many people mask how much of a jerk they really are.
Ceili

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2012 10:30 am
@DrewDad,
Your theory fails to take into account that opposites attract.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2012 10:38 am
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

Your theory fails to take into account that opposites attract.
Everybody says Opposites Attract, but is it really true? Or is it just that people are attracted to each other physically only later to discover that personalities are harder to match, but by then are caught up in what's already started and need an excuse for their predicament Wink
DrewDad

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2012 10:44 am
@Ceili,
It fails to take into account a lot of variables. Some people have more tolerance for bad behavior, for whatever reason. There is whole spectrum of behavior between "super nice" and "complete jerk."

Some people will stick with "a match made in hell."

But I don't think it's a completely invalid thought experiment.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2012 10:45 am
@rosborne979,
Opposites may attract... but do they stick together?
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2012 10:50 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
I liked "Six things I could never do without"
That was the tipoff for me. Thing is, there are several here I can think of who could have really made it a masterpiece of satire. This guy (or gal maybe?) didn't quite nail it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2012 10:50 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
nice/jerks a moderate rate of breakups

this is where I'd expect to see the highest rate of break-ups (based on personal, anecdotal evidence only)
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2012 10:55 am
@rosborne979,
Come on, how many couple do you know that have the same interests, personalities and so on. I don't know about you, but I've seen the loudmouth jerk with the mousey wife. Or a woman who led her husband round by the balls. The ballerina and the nascar fan...
Or the pretentious jerk could have a lot of money.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2012 11:41 am
@Ceili,
Yeah, but I see a lot more people together who:

Have the same or similar level of education.
Come from similar socioeconomic conditions.
Share a common heritage.
Share common goals.
Share common values.
etc.

"Odd couples" make for good sitcoms, but they don't work out as often in real life.
0 Replies