Need response of American people

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 09:34 pm
Hi, my name is Marianna and I'm a graduating student of one of the universities of Kazakhstan. I'm collecting data for my research paper. If you could take a few minutes to respond, I will be very grateful.
Define and describe your understanding of "American patriotism". If you can indicate your gender, age, profession. The data you respond will be used anonymously. By responding you give your consent to participate in the studies. Thank you.

There will be some kind of rules : Americans only, 18 or older

P.S. Please help! Need your response desperately!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,233 • Replies: 7

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 10:22 pm
@Marianna2708,
Marianna, I visited Almaty,Kazakhstan, some years ago on my visit to Central Asia. I enjoyed meeting students in most of the countries we visited, because of the friendliness and courtesies extended to us "seniors" during our visits.

From my POV, American patriotism has many different aspects with varying degrees of participation. I'm now 76 years old, and have lived as an "American" for the duration. Our grandfather immigrated to the US from Japan in 1893, and had a rather large family.

I volunteered into the USAF in my early twenties, and served for four years working with nuclear weapons with the Strategic Air Command. I attended college "late" and earned my BS degree in Business Administration with a major in Accounting at the age of 32. I was lucky, and worked in management positions for 26 of the 30 years I worked after I earned my degree.

I have voted in every election since I was 21 years old. I have written to my congress members and the president of our country on several occasions.

I also volunteered as a member of the Santa Clara County Grand Jury for the 2003-2004 term. We produced the most reports of any Grand Jury up to that time. I also served as a jury member in a rape-murder trial that was three months long, and the second longest in Santa Clara County.

My wife and I raised two boys, and they have performed above average in school. Our older son graduated summa cum laude, and our younger son graduated cum laude. My two brothers served in the US military, and my younger brother served two terms in the state capital as a member of the legislature. He also served as mayor of his town.

Most of our children are in the professions, and are doing very well.

I have traveled extensively around the world having visited over 160 countries with many repeats to Europe. If you are interested, you can visit my travel blogs at travelpod.com. Look for me as c.i.222. I have friends all over the world including Russia, Germany, England, Singapore, Tanzania, Italy, Malaysia, Canada, Bhutan, and all over the US.

I believe we are good examples of American patriots.

Marianna2708

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 11:53 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Wow, your devotion to the country you live in is priceless! You should be proud for the job you do. It is inspirational! Thank you very much for your response!
Setanta

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2012 02:33 am
JTT should be along sooner or later, man, will you get an earful then!
engineer

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2012 05:24 am
@Setanta,
JTT is a patriot attempting to speak truth to power, but yes, you will get an earful (or is it an eyeful?)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2012 11:30 am
@Marianna2708,
Marianna, Actually, I was the one inspired by the children in Central Asia. Many of the students we spoke with were multi-lingual, and spoke perfect English. They approached us freely, with smiles and friendship, and exchanged picture taking with us. It was some of the highlights of my trip to Central Asia, because that's what memories are all about.

I hope you best wishes in whatever you plan for your future, and feel free to ask questions about "life in America."
JTT

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2012 08:42 pm
@Setanta,
earful
0 Replies

Marianna2708

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2012 09:10 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Thank you very much!I apreciate all that! It's nice to hear about our level of English from you!
0 Replies