Why does the Universe exist?

Lustig Andrei

Tue 1 May, 2012 02:45 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

Do the members smoke weed?

Well, how else could they come up with all those nifty theories?
Ding an Sich

Tue 1 May, 2012 05:37 am
@JLNobody,
I don't think the universe is much of anything, aside from the largest domain of objects, possible or otherwise. Attributing consciousness to anything apart from living systems (autopoiesis) seems, at face value, absurd.
dalehileman

Tue 1 May, 2012 09:56 am
@JLNobody,
Quote:
Do the members smoke weed?
No but some of them did when younger
0 Replies

dalehileman

Tue 1 May, 2012 09:57 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
Well, how else could they come up with all those nifty theories?
Through the exercise of superior intelligence
0 Replies

dalehileman

Tue 1 May, 2012 09:59 am
@Ding an Sich,
Quote:
Attributing consciousness to anything apart from living systems (autopoiesis) seems, at face value, absurd.
At face value yes

However the general principle that nothing is entirely anything while everything is partly something else insists upon it
Thomas

Tue 1 May, 2012 10:46 am
@TuringEquivalent,
Quote:
Why does the Universe exist?

I anticipate a follow-up thread: "Does the Universe really exist?"
JLNobody

Tue 1 May, 2012 11:26 am
@Thomas,
And after that I expect "Does the Universe really exist for sure?"
0 Replies

dalehileman

Tue 1 May, 2012 11:37 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Forgive me Lust if I’m repeating but I can’t see how the idea of “nothingness” is contradictory. Though I can’t envision it I can certainly posit it. Surely the idea is more easily acceptable than all the halting attempts to explain why the existence of space and matter
Cyracuz

Tue 1 May, 2012 11:40 am
@dalehileman,
You know, dalehileman, koans like "what is the sound of one hand clapping" are intended, at least in part, to teach a student that a question or concept isn't necessarily valid just because we can posit it.

"Nothingness" in itself is a vacant idea. It is as meaningless as "heavy" without an object the concept "heavy" is attributed to.
Ding an Sich

Tue 1 May, 2012 12:24 pm
@dalehileman,
And we may rightly reject the principle, since it leads to absurdity. For seven is not partly six.
dalehileman

Tue 1 May, 2012 12:58 pm
@Cyracuz,
Quote:
"Nothingness" in itself is a vacant idea. It is as meaningless as "heavy" without an object the concept "heavy" is attributed to.
Cyr our evident disagreement might perhaps be purely semantic, but “nothingness” is certainly not meaningless while the question “why is there anything at all” deserves to be addressed if only as a tenebrous philosophical isse
dalehileman

Tue 1 May, 2012 01:00 pm
@Ding an Sich,
Quote:
And we may rightly reject the principle, since it leads to absurdity
What principle and how
Cyracuz

Tue 1 May, 2012 01:11 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
“nothingness” is certainly not meaningless while the question “why is there anything at all” deserves to be addressed if only as a tenebrous philosophical isse

It's not a philosophical issue, philosophy meaning "love of wisdom". It's just a dumb question that sounds philosophic. The question is in the same category as "why is red red" or "why is the sky above us and not below us".

I guess your question could be interpreted as a quest for purpose; perhaps you are asking for some grand intention behind the phenomenon we call "universe", but that implies some entity who purposefully made it.
I think of the universe as what happens when unrestricted potential unfolds. It happens because it can happen, and since it can happen it is inevitable.
Lustig Andrei

Tue 1 May, 2012 01:34 pm
@Cyracuz,
Right on, Cyr.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Tue 1 May, 2012 03:48 pm
@Cyracuz,
Quote:
“nothingness” is certainly not meaningless while the question “why is there anything at all” deserves to be addressed if only as a tenebrous philosophical issue

Quote:
It's not a philosophical issue, philosophy meaning "love of wisdom". It's just a dumb question that sounds philosophic.
Disagree. For instance one might respond, “The existential intuitive reaction suggests that eventually it will be shown the idea of ‘nothingness' to be paradoxical or contradictory, in other words, such a ‘state' to be impossible; matter, space, etc, to be necessary"

Not exactly profound but not entirely dumb either

Quote:
I guess your question could be interpreted as a quest for purpose; perhaps you are asking for some grand intention behind the phenomenon we call "universe"
Not at all. However the intuitive notion that the Entire Megillah seems hopeless, utterly pointless does suggest the humanoid is an important part of it

Especially if successive versions of the humanoid have had forever to influence it, making evolution as we know it possible

The mechanism behind his necessity however, has yet to be adequately addressed

Existentialists are very thoughtful folk and taken seriously by much of the PhiloComm

Quote:
I think of the universe as what happens when unrestricted potential unfolds. It happens because it can happen, and since it can happen it is inevitable.
That’s really well put and in fact I’ve long pondered whether if anything can happen, it will. If so however, what bothers me about the notion is that in an infinite Universe there might therefore be an infinite number of each possible galaxy

Not my idea by the way but one intuitively absurd
JLNobody

Tue 1 May, 2012 04:09 pm
@dalehileman,
The questions, "why does the universe exist?" and "Why is there something rather than nothing?" are not meaningless, in the sense that they may be subjectively meaningful to us. But they are not scientifically meaningful; there is no way to investigate them. The question, "why does the universe exist as it is rather than in some other form" is a bit more specific and potentially scientific. Otherwise this conversation so far is purely metaphysical.
JLNobody

Tue 1 May, 2012 05:26 pm
@JLNobody,
Metaphysical questions tell us more about ourselves than about the world.
Ding an Sich

Wed 2 May, 2012 05:51 am
@dalehileman,
The very principle you yourself stated.

"However the general principle that nothing is entirely anything while everything is partly something else insists upon it."

URL: http://able2know.org/topic/188372-6#post-4971558
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Wed 2 May, 2012 07:05 am
@JLNobody,
Quote:
Metaphysical questions tell us more about ourselves than about the world.

I agree completely. In that regard, the questions can sometimes teach us more than the answers we produce.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Wed 2 May, 2012 07:08 am
@dalehileman,
Not entirely dumb, you are right about that. But examining the question leads me to conclude that it is a dead end as far as greater clarity and deeper understanding goes, and as far as I am concerned, those are the prime goals of philosophy.
0 Replies