Why use "to" in "to seek answers to profound questions"? Why not use "for" there?

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 07:22 am

Context:
One of the strongest motivations of humankind is to seek answers to profound questions, and we need to bring all the power of both the scientific and spiritual perspectives to bear on understanding what is both seen and unseen. The goal of this book is to explore a pathway toward a sober and intellectually honest integration of these views.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,019 • Replies: 6
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
contrex

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 08:28 am
Expressions of this kind use the infinitive. That's the usage. The infinitive of English verbs is formed by the word 'to' followed by the base form of the verb. He is motivated to work. I want to succeed. I need to eat. I hate to fail. I used to smoke. We learned to swim.

MontereyJack
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 08:32 am
I think ori is asking about the second "to", not the first. You could use "for". I can't see that it makes much difference. "tickets to the game" or "tickets for the game", "keys to the car" or "keys for the car", but it's "food for the cat" not "food to the cat". I'm sure Contrex will be back with some rule to cover it.
oristarA

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 08:38 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

I think ori is asking about the second "to", not the first. You could use "for". I can't see that it makes much difference. "tickets to the game" or "tickets for the game", "keys to the car" or "keys for the car", but it's "food for the cat" not "food to the cat". I'm sure Contrex will be back with some rule to cover it.

Yes. I've made the to in question in bold. Of course I thank both of you for your efforts.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 09:52 am
I donĀ“t know if I am 100% right, but I think there is a distinction between to and for after answer.
Here is my answer to your question, but I cannot answer for my husband.
I am looking for an answer to my question.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 10:17 am
@contrex,
One of the strongest motivations of humankind is to seek answers to profound questions,

Quote:
Expressions of this kind use the infinitive. That's the usage. The infinitive of English verbs is formed by the word 'to' followed by the base form of the verb.

Yeah, and 'profound' is a base form verb. Smile
oristarA

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 03:44 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

One of the strongest motivations of humankind is to seek answers to profound questions,

Quote:
Expressions of this kind use the infinitive. That's the usage. The infinitive of English verbs is formed by the word 'to' followed by the base form of the verb.

Yeah, and 'profound' is a base form verb. Smile

You've taken the word out of my mouth. Smile
0 Replies