Offending or not

istoica

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 08:15 am
Hello. I made a video about a video game and I used some footage from a Stephen Hawking documentary. It is intended to be a parody/paraphrase. I got an email saying that this video can be considered to be offending because the guy is in a wheel chair.
Can you please tell me if you find this offending?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APUyzvk-Cfs
Thank you very much.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,624 • Replies: 8

rosborne979

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 08:41 am
@istoica,
I suspect this is just a viral marketing post, but I'll play along.

You made that video? If so, nice job. It's very slick.

I don't find it offensive to Hawking, but I would think you probably need his permission to use him in any advertising you are doing.
istoica

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 08:45 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 Not looking for virality. Looking to see if that email came justified or not. Even my wife told me not to use that concept but she could not explain it, therefore I am looking for other oppinions.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 08:45 am
@rosborne979,
Perhaps were expected to respond more or less with "Wow, that's so cool, tell me all about the game you wrote!"
istoica

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 08:46 am
@Setanta,
@Setanta That is not the intention. Trust me.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 11:30 am
@istoica,
Quote:
1par·o·dy
noun \ˈper-ə-dē, ˈpa-rə-\
plural par·o·dies
Definition of PARODY
: a literary or musical work in which the style of an author or work is closely imitated for comic effect or in ridicule
: a feeble or ridiculous imitation

You've used an excerpt from a Hawking documentary, as well as excerpts from the Angry Birds game.

It isn't offensive because he's in a wheel chair.

You describe your video as being a parody and say "This clip is intended as a parody therefore should be treated likewise." According to most definitions of parody, it is for comic effect or ridicule.

So, what part of your video are we supposed to treat as comic effect and ridicule?

istoica

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 01:31 pm
@Butrflynet,
The association and the voiceover
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 02:34 pm
@istoica,
That's the part that I find to be borderline...

I don't think you've crossed it, but you're right on top of it.
istoica

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 12:22 am
@Butrflynet,
My intention was to have a funny video. Not to make fun of someone. Especially one of the greatest minds ever. Is just that the situation he's in makes it difficult...
0 Replies