Do you say "opportunity" as "op" often?

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 10:01 pm
We know "photo op" refers to "photo opportunity", but can we read "opportunity" in other occasions of conversation?

Context:
It was a photo op to remember for the tens of thousands of viewers gathered on the Mall, atop parking garages and office buildings, on bridges and bike paths and hundreds of other choice — and not so choice — locations.

More:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/space-shuttle-discovery-wows-washington-in-45-minute-flyover/2012/04/17/gIQAKkgFOT_story.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 1,471 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 10:11 pm
@oristarA,
You know it's funny.. I never thought to think about what the op actually meant. The only op I've ever heard with any regularity is when used with photo. So, I'd say no, off the top of my head, op is not used frequently and only in this instance.
laughoutlood

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 10:18 pm
@oristarA,
The photo op was of a cop in an undercover op atop a co-op in an op shop.

Every opportunity I get, I use op but only in conjunction with another word.
Ceili

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 10:25 pm
@laughoutlood,
Guess I spoke too soon. Co-op.. yup.. Isn't that short for cooperative?
I'm not really sure. hmmm
Any other op words lurking about?
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 10:30 pm
@Ceili,
Quote:
The only op I've ever heard with any regularity is when used with photo. So, I'd say no, off the top of my head, op is not used frequently and only in this instance.

ditto

In co-op, the "op" refers to "operative". And there are Op Ed columns in newspapers, but that "op" refers to opinions.

I don't think "op", as short for "opportunity", is ever used in any context beside "photo op".
roger

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 10:34 pm
@oristarA,
Exceptions as noted, I'm going along with Ceili. You would never say your life is filled with ops. You would not say you have a sudden op to make some money. I would reserve it for photo op, and be aware that I was using political jargon, rather than ordinary speech.
oristarA

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 11:19 pm
@oristarA,
Thank you guys.

BTW, what is a cooler on which you can stand?

Context:
...of other choice — and not so choice — locations.

Along the George Washington Parkway, motorists pulled over and stared at the sky.

Tourists outside the Smithsonian museums pointed and gawked.

Photographers stood on coolers and chairs to get a better view.
roger

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 11:21 pm
@oristarA,
In this particular case, the cooler is an insulated container for food and drink. Most of them really are sturdy enough to suport an adult's weight.
Ceili

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 11:39 pm
@roger,
http://www.octanecreative.com/ducttape/trip/cooler.jpg
This one looks like somebody stepped on it...
oristarA

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 12:13 am
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

http://www.octanecreative.com/ducttape/trip/cooler.jpg
This one looks like somebody stepped on it...

Such a cooler is for the use in a bivouac? Looks not very sturdy - actually I fear it would collapse if I stand on it. Wink
contrex

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 12:17 am
@roger,
roger wrote:
I would reserve it for photo op

I have seen it written as "photo-op". There are no universal rules about hyphenating compund words. If they were always hyphenated it might help learners who might mistakenly concentrate on only one part.

0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 01:11 am
@oristarA,
Contrex, I've seen it either way. I don't think there is a hard and fast rule about it.

Ori, cooler's can be made out of many materials. The kind in the photo are actually very strong and light. They are insulated with foam wrapped in thick plastic sheath, or double hulled. They can with stand quite a beating, but for more strenuous outings many campers will use metal/aluminum coolers.

I had to look up bivouac, I've never heard that term. We (in Canada - as the terms change on every continent) would more likely say.. we are going camping, tenting, RVing, or boondocking - depending on where and how you camp, or your mode of transport and or sleeping arrangements.
I'm not trying to be condescending, I just don't imagine there are many camping areas in China similar to what we'd be used to. If I'm wrong, please tell me, I'd be very interested in learning more.
Camping is very popular in N. America, Australia and I believe it's becoming more and more popular in Europe. (I realize people camp in the UK...)
We have designated campgrounds, either publicly or privately owned, near lakes, oceans, mountains, cities, beautiful or historical sites amongst other odd places.. Sometimes people camp off grid, which means, unlike a normal campground, they are camping on government land far away from civilization or squatting... Usually it's not an area most people don't want to bring expensive rigs. These camper's have to supply their own power, by means of solar power or gas powered generators, water, firewood, garbage disposal, toilets and so on. Registered campgrounds may or may not supply all the above, some may be very primitive while others serve a more high brow crowd. But all will rent you a spot to set up camp. Some are nicer than others...
oristarA

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 05:08 am
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

Contrex, I've seen it either way. I don't think there is a hard and fast rule about it.

Ori, cooler's can be made out of many materials. The kind in the photo are actually very strong and light. They are insulated with foam wrapped in thick plastic sheath, or double hulled. They can with stand quite a beating, but for more strenuous outings many campers will use metal/aluminum coolers.

I had to look up bivouac, I've never heard that term. We (in Canada - as the terms change on every continent) would more likely say.. we are going camping, tenting, RVing, or boondocking - depending on where and how you camp, or your mode of transport and or sleeping arrangements.
I'm not trying to be condescending, I just don't imagine there are many camping areas in China similar to what we'd be used to. If I'm wrong, please tell me, I'd be very interested in learning more.
Camping is very popular in N. America, Australia and I believe it's becoming more and more popular in Europe. (I realize people camp in the UK...)
We have designated campgrounds, either publicly or privately owned, near lakes, oceans, mountains, cities, beautiful or historical sites amongst other odd places.. Sometimes people camp off grid, which means, unlike a normal campground, they are camping on government land far away from civilization or squatting... Usually it's not an area most people don't want to bring expensive rigs. These camper's have to supply their own power, by means of solar power or gas powered generators, water, firewood, garbage disposal, toilets and so on. Registered campgrounds may or may not supply all the above, some may be very primitive while others serve a more high brow crowd. But all will rent you a spot to set up camp. Some are nicer than others...

Excellent, Ceili.

No where in China would be so free and careless like this. It is a fairyland story for Chinese people. One thing would destroy your pleasure of camping in China: the highways everywhere here are the money trees of our government. No money, no permission to pass countless toll stations. Because the highways are built for the rulers, not for People.

roger

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 09:58 am
@oristarA,
That is interesting. We used to have an active member named J_B. We learned much about everyday China from him and his pictures. Mostly, he revealed our ignorance of anything that didn't make the headlines.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 10:14 am
@firefly,
Quote:
In co-op, the "op" refers to "operative". And there are Op Ed columns in newspapers, but that "op" refers to opinions.

Sorry to contradict you, firefly, but the "op" in "op-ed" does not refer to "opinions." Op ed is short for "opposite the editorial page", where these columns customarily appear. (in fact, the page itself is called "the op ed page.")

Trust me on this. I'm an old-time newspaper man.
contrex

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 10:27 am
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

I said as much in my post. Cooler's ... camper's ... I'm not trying to be condescending, but maybe you should review the correct use of apostrophes?
oristarA

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 10:32 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

That is interesting. We used to have an active member named J_B. We learned much about everyday China from him and his pictures. Mostly, he revealed our ignorance of anything that didn't make the headlines.

Please pick up one of his posts/threads that impressed you. I'd like to see what he said there.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 10:33 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
Sorry to contradict you, firefly, but the "op" in "op-ed" does not refer to "opinions."

they forgot to tell the editors of my hometown paper

(The newspaper can trace its roots back to the pre-merger days as far as 1834 when Edward John Barker founded the British Whig. The present publication is Canada's oldest continuously published daily newspaper. wikipedia)

They call the stuff on the op-ed page "opinion columns"

http://www.thewhig.com/SearchCat.aspx?cid=1852&cname=Opinion+Columns
Ceili

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 10:34 am
@contrex,
Why are you always such a dick. I wasn't pointing out anything to you or trying to be rude, I was clarifying for Ori. The rest of what I wrote didn't pertain to you. It was late and I'm not an uptight stickler with the grammar police up my ass... apparently you are..

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 10:35 am
I have a friend in China who is going hiking with her friends this weekend.
Maybe there will be pictures.

This is the only photo of someone sitting or standing on a cooler (or ice chest) I could find. Anybody else?
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Q3BDAxXhURM/TJr7h7OMcaI/AAAAAAAADVg/uSy83TlxMYs/s320/Chilling+on+the+ice+chest.jpg

Where is that baby's safety vest???!!

Joe(gah!)Nation
0 Replies