Who Needs Teeth Anyway?

Eva

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 10:45 am
Okay, we won't go there. Wink

But seriously, this must be an awful situation to be in. I'd get some other opinions before taking out a second mortgage, though.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 11:24 am
Setanta's just been going through something similar. I think the quote for the rest of the work they want to do is in excess of $20,000.00. He's got a plan at work, which would cover a tiny percentage.

We need l'k to come and provide some info about the health risks of not keeping up with good dental care. O'Bill is definitely right about the dangers - as I recall, part of it had to do with gum infections releasing bacteria into the blood stream which can damage the heart - and, well, kill you.

So what now? The dental school option sometimes does work out well. The school here is supposed to be excellent, with people who are able to get appointments being quite pleased with the work - and the down-sized bill.

hamburger's dentist just told hamburger and mrs. hamburger that it's all about the flossing, so floss/floss/floss and floss again.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 01:05 pm
The existence of insurance is part of why it's so expensive. Iv'e never liked health insurance, but you just have to have it.

I have 17 cavities, and I brush (well) every day and floss at least once a week! How the heck did that happen?

Now I have to brush within 20 minutes of eating with a high-concentrate flouride paste and floss every night. It's a real pain - and so are my teeth!

I also grind them at night, and my old dentist charged me money to give me TMJ - he sanded down my teeth so far that my jaw closes past where it should and gets severe muscle strain. So now I'm having to pay thousands to fix that. Good thing my insurance isn't up yet!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 01:36 pm
I read an article a few years back on a guy who not only pulled his own teeth (whatever he had left) but also made a complete set of dentures from the white rocks in his driveway.

He had some sort of medical background, as I recall, and knew what he was doing.

The rocks were shaped with a dremel rotary tool or some such device.

I remember seeing the guy on some talk show. His teeth looked very realistic and the total cost for the operation was something like four dollars. (for bits and parts)

I've been looking for this story because I told my dentist about it and he's interested in seeing it. So far, I've been unable to find the article.

I've searched on google but couldn't find it.

It's a hell of a story.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 01:53 pm
Whoa! Those prices do, indeed, sound craaaaazy!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 02:27 pm
I just spent 30 minutes looking for that story on the "driveway teeth" -- no luck. I did uncover this cool ad from yesteryear though, and thought I might share it....

http://www.sherlock-holmes.co.uk/images/false-teeth.JPG
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 02:29 pm
Well, that IS a delight...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 02:29 pm
Well, that IS a delight...
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 03:28 pm
My question to Gus is...if that company bought old and disused false teeth...what did they do with them...sell them to someone else?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 06:26 pm
BPB and Squinney, my sympathies on this. I'm self employed too, don't have dental insurance either.
Sure I could buy some, but then something else has to go..
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 08:22 pm
Quote:
My question to Gus is...if that company bought old and disused false teeth...what did they do with them...sell them to someone else?

Whoa!... I'm just the messenger here.

You certainly can't expect me to know the answer to everything!

I do have my limitations.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 07:12 pm
They recently busted a gang that, among other things, stole tractor-trailer loads of dentures from the airport.

Gangsters are weird.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 09:37 pm
It's the gold, you know...
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 02:24 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
thank you princess obvious...I said that first sentence.. Rolling Eyes I'm only saying that whether the work got put off a long time or not....that is an outrageous amount of money to spend...for anyone...it is overcharging to the nth. degree..I had a front tooth root canal and crown done about 6 years ago for 600.00. 600 to 2100.00 in a few years is a bit excessive wouldn't you say?

We're just having them pulled and two extractions will be over 500.00.

As far as a dental college goes, I am a full cadaver donor, and they can do what they want after I'm gone, but I don't want to be whatever 101 while my pain receptors are still operable....

A root canal costs about $250/canal operated on. A tooth extraction should cost about $100. A crown can cost $500-$750.

I think the costs will depend on who does the work. Is the dentist in private practice? Will the work be done at a dental school?

Why do you need $30,000 worth or work? Sounds like alot to me. A dental implant is about $3000+. Are you heading for dentures? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 02:29 am
Piffka wrote:
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
How come you haven't signed up for dental? It's dirt cheap, at least compared to health ins. I'm sure you could add it on, wait a couple months, then go get the work done, covered.

You don't want summer teeth.

Good idea!

What are summer teeth? Tanned?

Dental insurance sounds good, but the reality is that the prices are so high to start with, the insurance covers only a portion of the required medical work. Insurance is good for the basics like cleaning. Cool
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 06:49 am
Miller wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
thank you princess obvious...I said that first sentence.. Rolling Eyes I'm only saying that whether the work got put off a long time or not....that is an outrageous amount of money to spend...for anyone...it is overcharging to the nth. degree..I had a front tooth root canal and crown done about 6 years ago for 600.00. 600 to 2100.00 in a few years is a bit excessive wouldn't you say?

We're just having them pulled and two extractions will be over 500.00.

As far as a dental college goes, I am a full cadaver donor, and they can do what they want after I'm gone, but I don't want to be whatever 101 while my pain receptors are still operable....

A root canal costs about $250/canal operated on. A tooth extraction should cost about $100. A crown can cost $500-$750.

I think the costs will depend on who does the work. Is the dentist in private practice? Will the work be done at a dental school?

Why do you need $30,000 worth or work? Sounds like alot to me. A dental implant is about $3000+. Are you heading for dentures? Rolling Eyes

I don't know where you live, but those are 1980 prices around here.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 10:37 pm
I called an oral surgeon in Cambridge Ma today to confirm the prices. For a tooth extraction, the current price is $125 ( for nonsurgical procedure ) and $225 for a surgical procedure ( cut into the tissue to extract the tooth ). Both are performed with IV novacaine .
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 10:40 pm
How much has health insurance ( not dental ) increased over the past 10 years?

Also, all dental practices had to change their modes of operation in order to conform to public health laws concerning HIV decontamination procedures. This cost the dentists big, big bucks.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 05:31 am
Miller wrote:
I called an oral surgeon in Cambridge Ma today to confirm the prices. For a tooth extraction, the current price is $125 ( for nonsurgical procedure ) and $225 for a surgical procedure ( cut into the tissue to extract the tooth ). Both are performed with IV novacaine .

Call one in Raleigh NC and see what you 're told. Maybe I should fly into Massachusetts, get my teeth fixed, visit my mother at the cemetary and fly home.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 05:34 am
Miller wrote:
How much has health insurance ( not dental ) increased over the past 10 years?

Also, all dental practices had to change their modes of operation in order to conform to public health laws concerning HIV decontamination procedures. This cost the dentists big, big bucks.

More problems related to gays. That's probably why God made 9/11 happen.

Oh wait, sorry, I thought I was in a republican chat room there for a second.... :wink:
0 Replies