Is it possible for a person to have no beliefs at all?

fresco

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 05:58 am
@edgarblythe,
Well said otherwise we couldn't say anything about what we "know" other than mathematical facts. "I know my car is on the drive" would need to be re-written "I believe my car is on the drive" in the case of the owner being elseswhere (and even if present his visual recognition could be mistaken). If we actually based our actions on what we were absolutely certain about, we would be frozen to the spot !

Part of what theists claim they "know" is that their lives and thoughts have significance with respect to their "God", and this knowledge/belief informs their life activities. That knowledge/belief is functional for them. It becomes dysfunctional for me ( an atheist) when those activities negatively impinge on my activities. Thus my atheism is no way logically equivalent to a theistic position, because it is not based on taking one side in a futile discussion of the evidence for metaphysical entities. That is the point which escapes simplistic agnostics.
fresco

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 07:23 am
It follows from the above functional analysis, that answer to the OP question is definitely "no" because the boundaries of the "belief" set must be extended to include what can also be called "knowledge" is as much that such knowledge is statistical rather than certain.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 09:20 am
@edgarblythe,
...there is an interesting metaphor that on my view goes exactly where you heading with that remark...when we use a say, 12 mega-pixel camera to take a picture, we don´t go around saying the picture is not a picture because there are 18 mega-pixel cameras making photos out there...obviously the 12 mega photo is real, fully functional and expresses reality up to where it can...now that a picture is a picture and reality is reality says nothing against what knowledge can or cannot do, after all the picture is real and expresses something...is not just to say it is functional but rather that it is functional because its reality really works ! Wink
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 09:22 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
This "We can't know" is bullshit. It is so obviously contrived. I don't look down on one for disagreeing with me, but I have to assert my view from time to time.

Well, I never say "We can't know"...so you can accept that as bullshit if you wish. I do KNOW that I do not know if there are gods.

Are you saying that you do know, Edgar?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 09:25 am
@fresco,
Quote:
Well said otherwise we couldn't say anything about what we "know" other than mathematical facts. "I know my car is on the drive" would need to be re-written "I believe my car is on the drive" in the case of the owner being elseswhere (and even if present his visual recognition could be mistaken). If we actually based our actions on what we were absolutely certain about, we would be frozen to the spot !

Part of what theists claim they "know" is that their lives and thoughts have significance with respect to their "God", and this knowledge/belief informs their life activities. That knowledge/belief is functional for them. It becomes dysfunctional for me ( an atheist) when those activities negatively impinge on my activities. Thus my atheism is no way logically equivalent to a theistic position, because it is not based on taking one side in a futile discussion of the evidence for metaphysical entities. That is the point which escapes simplistic agnostics.

Nonsense, Fresco. You do assert that you know the REALITY--and that assertion is simplistic and absurd.

I do get a kick out of your need to denigrate agnostics, though. I am sure you think the assertion "I do not know" is something no cultured person like yourself could ever make.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 10:19 am
@Frank Apisa,
Reality is based on individual observation and perceptions. To tell somebody he doesn't know reality is foolish.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 10:47 am
@cicerone imposter,
...I am sure college students absolutely agree with you on that one... Wink
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 11:11 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
I don't care what college students think or believe; I just state my opinions.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 11:19 am
@cicerone imposter,
Ci, you wrote:

Quote:
I don't care what college students think or believe; I just state my opinions.

Before that, you wrote:

Quote:
Reality is based on individual observation and perceptions. To tell somebody he doesn't know reality is foolish.

Considering the former, wouldn’t it have made more sense and been more honest and logical to state the latter as, “It is my opinion that reality is based on individual observation and perceptions…and in my opinion, to tell somebody he doesn't know reality is foolish?
fresco

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 11:21 am
@Frank Apisa,
Where did I assert I "know reality"? I have certainly investigated the usage of words like "reality" and "knowledge" and my comments are based on the extensive reading of modern philosophers, the empirical findings of cognitive science, and more than a passing acquaintance with physics. I won't ask what you base your views on, although I suspect it might be from something like "holding court at the Golf Club bar".
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 11:31 am
@Frank Apisa,
I don't need to say "in my opinion." It's a given when I post on a2k.

In the first place, I don't know how college students "think." In the second, what they think has no bearing on what I post on a2k.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 11:52 am
@cicerone imposter,
I don't need to say "in my opinion." It's a given when I post on a2k.

You stated something as though you were stating a fact. If you offering an opinion…you ought really to make sure that is clear.

And to suppose for one second that “in my opinion” is a given is an absurdity.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 11:54 am
@fresco,

Quote:
Where did I assert I "know reality"? I have certainly investigated the usage of words like "reality" and "knowledge" and my comments are based on the extensive reading of modern philosophers, the empirical findings of cognitive science, and more than a passing acquaintance with physics. I won't ask what you base your views on, although I suspect it might be from something like "holding court at the Golf Club bar".

Your posts, Fresco, are filled with absolutes. You tell us what REALITY actually is...and you do it often.

Play this game with yourself, because you are the only one you are fooling.

As for me, I base my "I do not know" on what I know and do not know.
fresco

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 12:04 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Sorry, but your repetitive rambling is no longer worthy of the dignity of a reply.

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 12:08 pm
@fresco,
Quote:
Sorry, but your repetitive rambling is no longer worthy of the dignity of a reply.

But that was a reply, Fresco.

In any case, don't worry about having offered any "dignity" in it. You carefully avoid that in almost every response.

I will continue to read your posts telling everyone exactly how the world works...and what the REALITY actually is. I truly enjoy them!

And you are, after all, one of the experts mentioned in the "Ask an expert"...are you not?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 12:23 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I never said it was a fact; I said it was my opinion. Don't you understand the difference?
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 12:24 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Actually, all your postings are "absurdities." That may turn out to be a fact.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 12:45 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
I never said it was a fact; I said it was my opinion.

Well, ci, what you actually wrote was: “Reality is based on individual observation and perceptions.,.”

That doesn’t seem like an opinion to me. That is why I suggested the alternate wording.

Quote:
Don't you understand the difference?

Yes, of course I understand the difference between a fact and an opinion…and I am willing to suppose you do also.

Why the petty digs, ci?
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 12:46 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Actually, all your postings are "absurdities."

Sorry you feel that way, ci.

I try to be reasonable in my posts...and I try to take other people's posts seriously...as I do yours.

0 Replies

north

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 12:56 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:

Your posts, Fresco, are filled with absolutes. You tell us what REALITY actually is...and you do it often.

Play this game with yourself, because you are the only one you are fooling.

As for me, I base my "I do not know" on what I know and do not know.

there are absolutes though Frank

without air you die