Is it possible for a person to have no beliefs at all?

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 12:19 pm
@north,
It would not necessarily be error--there could be other reasons. However, the point you are attempting to squirm away from is that none of us know to a certainty everything necessary to prosecute our daily lives--so we rely on informed beliefs, and for the religious and political fanatics, sometimes, blind faith.

Everyone deals with uncertainty on a daily basis.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 12:28 pm
@Setanta,
Many of us depend on certainty in our lives. Some concerns like driving and/or walking across the street requires more awareness and caution. Most others, we just take for granted. Yes, the sun will "rise" tomorrow. Most of us do not worry about "those" things.

north

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 12:31 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

It would not necessarily be error--there could be other reasons.

regardless of the reasons for the error , I whatch out for errors , Human nature

Quote:
However, the point you are attempting to squirm away from is that none of us know to a certainty everything necessary to prosecute our daily lives--

but the lack of certainty , does not imply a belief thinking

Quote:
so we rely on informed beliefs, and for the religious and political fanatics, sometimes, blind faith.

sure we do , but since I'm not religious , question political fanatics , and have no blind faiths

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 12:34 pm
@Setanta,
Since you asked me to read your other reply to North...I thought I would read this one as well...and comment on it.

Quote:

Absolutely, positively, without any doubt whatsoever. Not sure why you are using this as substantiation of your assertion that we all have beliefs.

When dealing with "uncertainty" as I do on a "daily basis"...I often am forced to make blind guesses. Going through an intersection where the light is green is, in effect, a blind guess. Most of the times my blind guesses of this sort are correct...but I recognize that there will be times where it will jump up and bite me on the ass.

I prefer not to call my blind guesses "beliefs"...and until they actually are termed "beliefs"...I say they are not beliefs.
Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 12:35 pm
@cicerone imposter,
If you take a condom out of a package, do you examine it with a microscope before using it, to make sure it has not microscopic holes which would defeat it's purpose as a contraceptive or a prophylactic? When you buy a cd or a dvd at the store, do you make them open the package before you buy it, so you can be sure it has not been mislabeled? When you boy a box of tissues, do you insist that management open the box to show that there are, indeed, 200 tissues in the box?

There are little flaws in the world all around us. We all believe that we are getting what we expect. Most times, 99% of the time, we are getting what we expect. But we don't know that for a fact--we just believe it.
Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 12:38 pm
@north,
north wrote:
Quote:
However, the point you are attempting to squirm away from is that none of us know to a certainty everything necessary to prosecute our daily lives--

but the lack of certainty , does not imply a belief thinking

Sure it does--it you stopped to be certain of the facts of every situation in your daily life before you acted, your actions would be crippled.

Quote:
Quote:
so we rely on informed beliefs, and for the religious and political fanatics, sometimes, blind faith.

sure we do , but since I'm not religious , question political fanatics , and have no blind faiths

That doesn't alter that you rely on informed belief (rather than blind faith)--everybody dose, whether or not they're honest with themselves about it. It seems to me that you have a conceit you cannot support logically.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 12:40 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Whether or not you want to play the guess/belief word game of which you are so fond doesn't alter that you are operating on beliefs, rather than certainties. Your dishonesty about that doesn't change a thing.
north

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 12:41 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

If you take a condom out of a package, do you examine it with a microscope before using it, to make sure it has not microscopic holes which would defeat it's purpose as a contraceptive or a prophylactic? When you buy a cd or a dvd at the store, do you make them open the package before you buy it, so you can be sure it has not been mislabeled? When you boy a box of tissues, do you insist that management open the box to show that there are, indeed, 200 tissues in the box?

There are little flaws in the world all around us. We all believe that we are getting what we expect. Most times, 99% of the time, we are getting what we expect. But we don't know that for a fact--we just believe it.

I see your point here

but I would rather use assume than believe
Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 12:46 pm
@north,
Talk to Frank, he likes to play similar word games.
north

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 12:52 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Talk to Frank, he likes to play similar word games.

you could call it word game and I suspected this would happen

using belief or believe is a loaded word(s)

using assume is just what this word means , to take for granted
Cyracuz

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 12:57 pm
@north,
It doesn't matter which words are used. A belief, an assumption, wild guess... it don't matter. The point is that it is impossible to have knowledge about everything we need to relate to, which means that it is impossible to get by without forming beliefs.
InfraBlue

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 01:17 pm
@north,
I don't think you've elaborated the definition of the word "belief" by which you're operating.
0 Replies

north

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 01:18 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

It doesn't matter which words are used.

it does matter , absolutely

there is a big difference between assuming something

and believing in something

Quote:
A belief, an assumption, wild guess... it don't matter.

it does matter

a belief can be questioned

assumuption , assumes you got it right in the first place , without question

the wild guess is irrelevent

Quote:
The point is that it is impossible to have knowledge about everything we need to relate to,

true

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 01:24 pm
@north,
Quote:
there is a big difference between assuming something

and believing in something

There is also a big difference between believing something and believing in something. Believing something and assuming something is pretty much the same thing.

But that doesn't change the fact that even with assumptions and guesses, we can't get by without beliefs.
north

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 01:34 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:
Quote:
there is a big difference between assuming something and believing in something
There is also a big difference between believing something and believing in something. Believing something and assuming something is pretty much the same thing. But that doesn't change the fact that even with assumptions and guesses, we can't get by without beliefs.

the thing is though , belief or believing takes thought

assume , assuming or assumption doesn't take thought , you take it for granted

like turning the key to your ignition on your car , starts the the car , the gas you put into your car will ignite in your engine , to start your car , you don't go into your car thinking about whether these things will happen , or believing they will ,you assume that they will all happen in a corridinated fashion , you take it for granted that this all will happen , without thinking
Cyracuz

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 01:41 pm
@north,
Sure.
But you do not go into a political election thoughtlessly assuming that whatever party you intend to vote for will do the best job. You believe your party will do the best job, based on their campaign promises and based on your own political inclinations. That is just one area of life where you have to form beliefs, and it is not assumption or guess.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 01:41 pm
@Setanta,
I'm not sure why you addressed your post to me, because I am aware of the various levels of confidence in what we believe.

BTW, I haven't used a condom in over 50 years! Mr. Green
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 01:47 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Whether or not you want to play the guess/belief word game of which you are so fond doesn't alter that you are operating on beliefs, rather than certainties.

No, Setanta. I recognize that I do not have certainties at all times (perhaps I recognize it more than you), but when I am uncertain and I am operating on speculation, hope, assumption or wild, blind guesses...I am not operating on "belief."

Speculation, hope, assumptions, or wild, blind guesses only become "beliefs" when the person making them call them beliefs.

That is why earlier, I wrote:

It is absolutely possible to have no beliefs at all.

All you have to do is to be honest.

If you stop calling your guesses about the unknown "beliefs"...you stop having beliefs and start having guesses.

Quote:
Your dishonesty about that doesn't change a thing.

Why do so many insults work their way into your posts, Setanta? How does insulting people as often as you do make your life any more bearable?

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 01:49 pm
@Cyracuz,
Quote:

But you do not go into a political election thoughtlessly assuming that whatever party you intend to vote for will do the best job. You believe your party will do the best job, based on their campaign promises and based on your own political inclinations. That is just one area of life where you have to form beliefs, and it is not assumption or guess.

Why can't it be that you "hope" or "expect" your party will do the better job? It is not a "belief" if you do not call it a belief...and I much prefer to call my hope, expectations, suppositions, assessments and such by those names than by "belief."

You may term that a "belief" on my part...I prefer calling it a preference.
Cyracuz

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 01:57 pm
@Frank Apisa,
What you want to call it is up to you. But do you agree that whatever you call it, it is a matter of the human capacity for faith?