Castro is not Hitler

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2012 06:51 am
I understand how important it is, in both a political and economic sense, to never ever offend Cubans.

No one in their right mind would ever suggest that Cuban illegal immigrants maybe shouldn't be entitled to a automatic instant amnesty leading to citizenship where people from any other country under a repressive dictatorship, from Iran to Venezuela would be picked up, strip searched and jailed with no rights.

And who would be cynical enough to doubt that Elian Gonzales wasn't actually carried to Florida on the back of God's own dolphins.

That being said. Isn't this Ozzie Guillen story getting blown a little out of proportion?

I am no fan of Fidel Castro, but he is no Hitler. Guillen said something stupid which was particularly stupid seeing that he is manager of a Florida baseball team. But he didn't really didn't say anything that bad about Castro who is a pretty run of the mill autocrat and for all of his sins has never done anything close to genocide.

I think the resulting firestorm is laughable.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 2,905 • Replies: 11

BillRM

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2012 07:18 am
@maxdancona,
Try living in South Florida for thirty plus years and you will find nothing to laugh about concerning the first generation Cuban insanity over all things concerning the Cuban government and Castro.

Strange for a people so passions that they was more then willing to move to the good life in Florida instead of taking to the hills and fighting Castro in Cuba.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2012 11:18 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
I am no fan of Fidel Castro, but he is no Hitler.

Guillen would still be in hot water with many in the Cuban-American community, though.

Even if he'd said, “I love Fidel Castro … I respect Fidel Castro. You know why? He's evil, but not as evil as Hitler", their outrage is still going to be focused on the love and respect part of the statement.
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2012 11:27 am
@Irishk,

he claims it was misconstrued, because what he said in english is not what he was thinking of saying in spanish.

whatever -- ozzie's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

you never know what yer gonna get if you stick a mic in front of his face...
Irishk

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2012 11:33 am
@Region Philbis,
I agree. I was just advocating from the point of view of the community he's offended.

Apparently he's said other dumb stuff, too.

He'll either be forgiven or the Marlins will eventually have to let him go.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2012 01:22 pm
@Region Philbis,
What a community to run off at the mouth - right in the backyard of the largest concentration of Cuban-Americans in North America. It's not like he doesn't KNOW how sensitive this community is - after all he's a Venezuelan-American. Or maybe I'm giving him too much credit? He needs a license for that tongue he has it's a misguided muscle.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 10:26 am
@maxdancona,
Considering that Cuban-Americans made Miami a Latin American entertainment and financial capital, I think the contribution of Cuban-Americans should be valued, without making their attitude about Castro anything of import.

Actually, their attitude towards Castro is very American, in my opinion, since La Revolucion in Cuba was not to instill a capitalist system. It disenfranchised the wealthy, who had to come to Miami dirt poor, and only through very hard work for decades became the solid demographic they are in Miami. I think Cubans should get some gratitude from Americans that understand that Cuban-Americans were basically a positive for Florida and the USA.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 07:54 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
Actually, their attitude towards Castro is very American, in my opinion, since La Revolucion in Cuba was not to instill a capitalist system. It disenfranchised the wealthy, who had to come to Miami dirt poor, and only through very hard work for decades became the solid demographic they are in Miami. I think Cubans should get some gratitude from Americans that understand that Cuban-Americans were basically a positive for Florida and the USA.

Do you know anything about the history of Cuba? Have you ever heard the name "Batista"?
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 09:06 pm
Batista was a murdering pig. But he was a friend to our government and businesses. That makes him much better than a murdering pig who calls himself a communist.
BillRM

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 09:28 pm
@edgarblythe,
The upper classes of Cubans who ended up on the Florida shore was also far far happier with Batista, it was just the majority of Cubans who was living a dog life under Batista that was unhappy.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 06:17 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:

Do you know anything about the history of Cuba? Have you ever heard the name "Batista"?

Please don't use me to prove a point. Just make your point, and leave me out of your discussion.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 08:18 pm
@Foofie,
Don't blame me that your foot is in your mouth. I didn't put it there.
0 Replies