Worth Watching Twice

princesspupule

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 11:46 am
Lightwizard wrote:
This thread has some action but the only reason it's not featured is the similarity to Movies You Can See Again and Again. Just didn't want Letty to think I wasn't taking notice.

A recent movie I could see again is "Spartan," even knowing the twist ending. It's just fascinating to observe how Mamet plans out the clues and takes his cinematography, editing and dialogue seriously with the twist and turns. He doesn't just try to trick you like a certain other movie maker that I needn't mention on these boards.

Yep. That's perhaps the best Mamet film, yet! I just watched "That Spanish Prisoner," for the second time, and it was still good, but not on as many levels as "Spartan." TSP tells a tale, and tells it well, but "Spartan does that + offers a commentary of American life at this moment in history.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 11:53 am
It does get into the nihilism inherant to covert organizations and the way the politicians play it. I think the recent offering of Goss as head of the CIA is a classic example.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 12:24 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
It does get into the nihilism inherant to covert organizations and the way the politicians play it. I think the recent offering of Goss as head of the CIA is a classic example.

Mmhm. ITA. It's a bit scary when truth seems to be following fiction, isn't it? ...Since the movie was made before Goss was announced.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 09:40 am
Not so curious when one considers the politics in consistantly approving of J. Edgar Hoover. What a drag!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 10:09 am
I haven't seen Spartan, so I cannot comment, but Mr.Wizard's observation reminded me of a movie about J.Edgar. I think Treat Williams (hope that's correct) played him and did a fantastic job. Need to check that out.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 10:35 am
That would be the 1987 TV biopic which wasn't very good:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093289/

J. Edgar also appeared in two Hollywood movies:

FBI Story, The (1959) (uncredited) .... Himself

and

You Can't Get Away with It (1936) .... Himself - Director of the FBI of the Department of Justice
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 10:39 am
Thanks, Mr. Wizard. Just checked it out. Not worth watching twice, I guess. Odd though. I didn't realize that his death was subject to something other than natural causes.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 11:15 am
We may never know the true cause of his death but the CIA, FBI and NSA have a still fairly good percentage of unmarried men and women. Could it be a myth like many believe the Gay Mafia is a myth?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 11:27 am
A gay mafia? My word. I thought Gautam was Indian Razz

Speaking of Spartan, I would like to see that. Could I rent a DVD, or is it too soon? I adore Val Kilmer. I do believe the first movie that he starred in was Real Genius. I have seen Ghost and the Darkness more than twice. Did I mention that already? If I did, it's worth mentioning twice.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 11:59 am
"Spartan" is released on DVD and should be at any DVD rental store. Val Kilmer is excellent as the CIA operative with a conscience and an abhorance for politically motivated espionage. And he has a willing assist from other CIA operatives.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 12:04 pm
Aha! Kilmer as the patsy that prevails. Thanks. Will rent it for evening watching, pop corn and all.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 02:37 pm
Memento...just to try to figure out the actual #$%# plot.

I defy anyone to fully explain that plot in chronological order?
As an aside, I highly recommend it as a DVD rental on a night you feel like something truly different.

Fight Club is a decent 2nd watch also. The 2nd time through, things make more sense (after you learn the unifying secret of the plot). Incidentally, this film is not about fighting, etc., as the title would suggest. More to do with modern angst, IMO.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 06:26 pm
The plot of "Memento" is backwards. If you were to start the DVD scene by scene and watch it backwards, that's basically how it was originally filmed and the pieces all fall into place. Ingenious.

Letty, Kilmer doesn't entire prevail if you know what I mean or did you not get the final scene? No PM, so I can't PM you but I can E mail you. It's a film worth seeing again if it got away from you -- just be warned that you can't be tippling on a glass of Merlot. You can take a couple of tokes off a joint but I doubt that's your scene.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 07:03 pm
I haven't seen Momento, extra medium, so I cannot comment.

Mr. Wizard, no, that's not my scene. I enjoy happy hour and will always continue to do so within reason. I know that you are right, total concentration is a must in some movies. There have been other distractions aside from the turbulent weather, and I'm certain that you understand that. Incidentally, the managers at the video store that I frequent have never suggested anything. I ask and they respond.

I love discussing movies with you folks here, and that is the one thing that I miss the most in real life.

I will e-mail you later, lightman. <smile>
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 07:12 pm
My experience with asking any clerks and even the owner at a video store is an exercise in futility. Roger Ebert they ain't...they're salespeople and are liable to tell you to rent something because a lot of people are renting it. I don't believe "Spartan" is getting rented that much by those who have been previously exposed to Mamet's films are still totally in the dark. Still, "Spartan" as well as "Heist" are more accessible than anything he's done before. So many films about a less-than-ethical or positively outright criminal Presidents and so much mediocrity. "Spartan" is very timely with the current relationship of the White House and the CIA in the news.
0 Replies

fluffhead237

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 12:52 pm
The Shining
National Lampoons Vacation
Heat
The Big Lebowski
The Usual Suspects
The Matrix
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 01:16 pm
Line man, is that you? Where have you been.

I haven't see all of the movies that you listed, but I totally agree with The Usual Suspects.

As edgar and I were discussing on a couple of threads, Kevin Spacey has done a movie totally out of his milieu:

Beyond the Sea, a biog of Bobby Darin's life.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 01:19 pm
Can't wait to see it. I'll watch anything with Kevin Spacey.
0 Replies

fluffhead237

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 01:20 pm
Yep...It's me!!

Been super busy over here. Started a new job where I don't have nearly the down time I had before. I also bought a house and joined a new band. It's been fun, but has kept me away for too long!

How are things?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 01:29 pm
Upon my word, line man. Things are the same and yet totally different. Ain't it wonderful? a new house; a new job; a new band. Fantastic.

Mr. Wizard and I have really dissected the entire movie industry. <smile>
(along with several great movie buffs here)

We even decided that Johnny Depp's "Secret Window" was twisted and great. (Stephen King, no less)

and Kevin Spacey is still spacy, right eoe?
0 Replies