Worth Watching Twice

eoe

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 01:32 pm
Right. Just as spacy as he can be.

And speaking of Mr. Depp, I just finished watching Don Juan de Marco for the fifth or sixth time. Need to get it on dvd. Love his performance. And that of The Big Guy, as well.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 05:02 pm
Liked the way "The Secret Window" was constructed and it wasn't boring like I find M. Night Shalayman's efforts. It was more like the story was written by Edgar Allen Poe than Stephen King.
Great scripwriting and a top notch Depp performance makes for an intriguing movie experience.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 05:04 pm
geez LW, have to disagree with you here...Watched the "Secret Window" this past week end and wasn't impressed..Depp much better in Pirates....My roomie ( A HUGE Depp fan) even found it flat and uninteresting.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 05:20 pm
I can't help liking Depp's "Pirates" performance even better and "Window" got mixed reviews. I saw it as a character study more than a story as the plot points have been done before (hasn't every movie or book been written before?) I liked the small scale and the fact that special effects were minimal even when tempting. I bought his slow change of character and found it was one of the better King adaptations which can tend toward elephantine and labored.

Like another poster in the film forum likes to consistantly bring up, to each his own. Of course, it's usually brought up every time I disagree with someone's opinion who, in the end, are incapable of shoring up their opinion.

The reviews were 50/50 on "Window:"

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/secret_window/

I agree with the favorable reviews of the film.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 05:27 pm
Never see willow's name that I don't think of a song..and then when I see the location...way up high..I remember my first attempt on the piano.

Okay, so I can do this..right?
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 05:30 pm
I liked "The Remains of the Day"...worth watching twice to me, also "Chicago" and definately "About Schmidt"....In fact, I must confess, there are a lot of movies I like to watch twice, because I don't get it all the first time around.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 05:33 pm
what I disliked about Memento , was that the film HAD to replay a few moments of the previous scenes that set up the continuity. Its a trick that was done better in Seinfeld when everybody was going to India for a wedding. Kramer had a lollipop, one of those huge all day suckers that kept getting bigger as thyhe show went on. Easier trick. Memento failed to convince me and , consequently the movie could haqve been swhrunk to 20 minutes really.
This weekend we saw 21GRAMS, with SEan Penn and Benicio Del Torros(SP?)
it was a cut up flick similar to those done by Tarantino. It was really a damn good flick and we didnt catch on for about 20 min that the plot device using time was done to bring the principals together in a single event. Damn good
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 05:34 pm
I loved Depp's work in" Pirates" and "Edward
Scissorhands", definately worth watching twice,
"Chocolat" was less convincing to me as a movie,
but maybe that wasn't Depp's fault.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 06:05 pm
Edward Scissorhands. Didn't understand it.

Frankly, even if I had understood it, I wouldn't have liked it.

Pirates, of course, was delightful, but I had to watch it twice to figure out why Depp became a member of the skeleton crew.

Hey...I can do what I want on my thread, soooooooooo

Willow Weep for Me
Mark Murphy, Frank Sinatra

Willow weep for me
Willow weep for me
Bent your branches down along the ground and cover me
Listen to my plea
Hear me willow and weep for me

Gone my lovely dreams
Lovely summer dreams
Gone and left me here
To weep my tears along the stream
Sad as I can be

Whisper to the wind and say they love has sinned
To leave my heart a sign
And crying alone
Murmur to the night
Hide her starry light
So none will find me sighing
Crying all alone

Weeping willow tree
Weeping sympathy
Bent your branches down along the ground and cover me
Listen to me plea
Willow, willow

And..............

Way up high in my cherry tree,
If you look,
You will see,
Mother robin and babies three
High up in the tree.

So...do what you want...watch what you want...feel what you want...
and therein lies the beauty of being.

I am just grateful that I have someone here to share it with.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 06:12 pm
The greatest version of Willow Weep for me , was on a Reel to Reel tape that was clipped at a Ray Charles Show in Phila back in the early 60s . It had Dave Newman and Ray Charles and the quartet just jammin. unlike the "Fathead" album version, this one has Ray singing the song. MAAANNN what a sound.
my uncle Stosh got it from a friend who tught at Temple U . I heard it many times and when my uncle died, I became the caretaqker of the Fathead and Ray version of Willow Weep for ME. (I dont know whether the Stashu of Limitations for unauthorized clipping a sound set has passed).
i backed it up and may one day donate the original to the museum .
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 08:28 pm
I'd pay to hear it, farmerman.

Almost rented "Secret Window" today. We will soon. I like Johnny Depp and the artistic choices he makes.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 10:46 am
Aaah, did I see you mention Don Juan deMarco, EOE? I loved that movie and the tangos and the relationship between Depp and Brando.

Letty: I think it was on the Brando thread that we discussed this movie and you said you hadn't seen it. Give it a try, please. I'd like to hear your reaction to it. Very Happy
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 12:44 pm
I will Raggedy. I love both them guys.

(but hated the NYT puzzle, Company Picnic...grrrrr) Smile
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 01:58 pm
Letty: I didn't like Company Picnic either, but you have "Furnishing Touches" now, don't you? (You'll like that one).
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 02:04 pm
Well, Thank God, Raggedy.

Ahem. Worth Working Twice? sorry all, back to the movies. Intermission is over.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 06:23 pm
I've been working on "Furnishing Touches" off-and-on today. Fun but kinda silly. Sorry, back to the movies.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 06:31 pm
Funny how the simplest things are a wonderful diversion.

Goodnight, my friends.

From LettyBettyGettyMaryCustisLee. <smile>
0 Replies

tagged lyricist

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 05:25 pm
Well haven't been paying close attention here so excuse me if there any repeats of films.

Taxi Driver (watch when ever I feel lonely or like I wanna kill some scum)
Any Tarantino Movie( watch when I wanna laugh my ass of at the sickest things ever)
Fear and Loathing in Los Vegas ( God it's so much like my life watch it on one or a cocktail of drugs Razz )
Big Lebowski (make me laugh)
Scarface (cos Anything with that much coke in has to be viewed twice)
Mean streets (awesome film love a young bobby D, when i think one of my friends is a bad influence)
The Deer Hunter (anybody who thinks war is a good Idea watch this movie)
The Godfather part 1 and 2 (no reason)
Raging Bull (for De Niro's performance and Scorsese's masterful direction, a tragic film)
Amelie (for the romantic in me)
Talk to her (beautiful, tragic, romantic, genius)
China Town (engrossing)
8 1/2 (who can resit Fellini's compositions and Marcello Mastrioni's Face, when ever you want aesthetic and whimsy)
Edwood Scissor Hands (for the idealist in me)
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (sheer pleasure, no strings attached)
Lost in Translation (when I want to cry)
Chunking express (real life love and tragedy Goddard like cinematography, bitter sweet stories)
In the mood for love (when I want to cry and appreciate the beauty of Cinema)
GoodFellas (Do I ammuse you, am I Clown?)

well there's more but that's enough for now.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 05:55 pm
Tagged, and only nineteen. I loved The Deer Hunter. Yes, you are right. The ending was a frozen tabloid in time. I can't help but mention Angel Heart with Mickey Rourke and DeNiro. Rourke is far under rated. I have seen some of your films, others I may have seen but don't remember.

Thank you for reminding me.
0 Replies

tagged lyricist

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 05:59 pm
great stuff, film student does that help explain letty the movies?
0 Replies