Mike Wallace "60 Minutes"

jcboy

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 08:41 am
My Condolences to his family.

I've watched 60 minutes since I was a kid.

Quote:
Mike Wallace, a pioneer of American broadcasting who confronted leaders and liars for the newsmagazine “60 Minutes” for four decades, has died, CBS News said. He was 94.

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04/08/mike-wallace-60-minutes-pioneer-dies/

boomerang

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 09:06 am
@jcboy,
Me too. It's still one of the best shows on TV.

Mike Wallace had a very interesting life. He'll be missed.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 09:08 am
Wallace was a cut above most of them.
farmerman

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 09:13 am
@jcboy,
although, as a kid, I recall my dad railing about that "Asshole Mike Wallace" for one thing or another. I dont recall what Wallaces favorite skewering dolls were. One of them got my Dad really steamed.
farmerman

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 09:14 am
@farmerman,
Thomas Kinkade dies too yesterday, what a loss to the art world (irony button)
snood

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 09:16 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Thomas Kinkade dies too yesterday, what a loss to the art world (irony button)

It's kinda lowbrow to speak snarkily of the dead
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 09:17 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Wallace was a cut above most of them.

Too bad his son fell so far from the tree
Joe Nation

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 09:23 am
@snood,
Is is snarky to speak ill of the dead's offspring so soon?

Just asking. I have no idea who Mike Wallace's son is or was or whatever.

Mr. Wallace was a true scourge for every fraud, fake, cheat, liar and mountebank on the face of this blue-green earth.

Joe(Good on him)Nation
snood

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 09:24 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

Is is snarky to speak ill of the dead's offspring so soon?

Just asking. I have no idea who Mike Wallace's son is or was or whatever.

Mr. Wallace was a true scourge for every fraud, fake, cheat, liar and mountebank on the face of this blue-green earth.

Joe(Good on him)Nation

I don't know. Good point maybe.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 09:29 am
One of Mike's sons is dead, so I assume you refer to Chris Wallace

Wallace's confrontational style was evident during President Ronald Reagan's news conference in March 1987, when Reagan admitted to dealing arms for hostages. During his questioning, Wallace asked Reagan why he had denied that Israel was involved with the arms sales to Iran "when you knew that wasn't true."[2]

Wallace left NBC in 1989 for ABC. At ABC News, Wallace was the senior correspondent for Primetime Thursday and occasionally hosted Nightline. During the first Gulf War in 1991, he reported from Tel Aviv on the Iraqi Scud missiles attacks. At the time, the Israeli Government did not want to advertise where the Scuds landed, in order to prevent the Iraqis from making adjustments to their launchers. On one episode of Nightline, Wallace started describing the location in Tel Aviv where a Scud missile landed. Nightline host Ted Koppel cut him off, respecting Israeli national security needs.[citation needed]

After another 14 years at ABC, Wallace left in 2003 to join the Fox News Channel. He has remarked in the past that his work at Fox opened his eyes to what critics cite as bias in the mainstream press. Wallace has stated, "Fox News wouldn't exist if it weren't for this kind of stuff going on in the mainstream media. That's why people are fed up with that and want the antidote to it because they get it and they've gotten it for years - the so-called bias in the objective press."[3] Wallace currently hosts Fox News Sunday with Chris Wallace, and is an occasional guest on the Howie Carr show on Boston's WRKO.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 09:30 am
I remember there was some controversy in the past as he was said to have used the N word. But he did apologize and was generally liked by both liberals and conservatives.
0 Replies