Chicken Spoilage

gollum

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 07:28 pm
How long does it take before non-refrigerated chicken spoils? What is the danger if I eat such chicken?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,675 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 07:42 pm
@gollum,
If it is raw chicken (not previously cooked) is exposed to room temps of 70-72 degrees F, about 2 hours tops - perhaps as little as an hour. Common sense says that if the raw chicken has spoiled (due to the high level of salmonella bacteria), you'll suffer gastric distress (and/or diarrhea) if you consume it.

FWIW, approx. 5000 deaths occur in US from foodborne illnesses such as salmonella.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_long_can_raw_chicken_sit_out_without_being_refrigerated
gollum

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 08:03 pm
@Ragman,
Thank you.

I bought a salad at a supermarket where the employee starts with a bowl of romaine lettuce and then the customer tells him which items to add from rows of containers in front of the employee. Most of the items are vegetables but chicken is included also. I assume it is cooked chicken.

I purchased such a salad today including the chicken. When I started to eat it I found that the chicken had a bad smell.
0 Replies