Dick Cheney receives heart transplant

DrewDad

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 11:44 pm
@parados,
And posting on a privately owned Internet message board is not the same as broadcasting slander over the public airwaves.

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 11:51 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

And posting on a privately owned Internet message board is not the same as broadcasting slander over the public airwaves.

as well a political argument is not a personal attack. The arena of ideas is not a proper place for wusses, they should depart for more tranquil spaces if they cant handle it. America is deep into the ****, this is no time to cater to those who need to be victims.
dlowan

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 06:07 am
@parados,
I was wondering about that.

0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 06:58 am
@hawkeye10,
So, poor Rush was and is being mistreated by bullies, but you're not promoting a victim culture.

Got it.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 07:10 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:

as well a political argument is not a personal attack

A personal attack against a non public figure is NOT a political argument hawk. It's rather silly to try to claim it is.
Fido

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 09:18 am
@jcboy,
It's ALIVE!!! But it is no man!!! The thing feeds off human life, and demands human death as the price of its continued existence... Stop it before it breeds...For God's sake!!!
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 09:20 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

He got a heart? Oh, I don't think there's anything in that black bag for me.
On the bright side he can go on shooting republicans without consequences...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 09:23 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
The statement said Cheney had been on the transplant list for 20 months and did not know the identity of the donor, but doctors had insisted that it be a serial killer, serial rapist, sexual predator, Wall St banker, fellow war criminal or someone of a similar background or the heart would almost certainly be rejected.

It seems that for some one that old and rotten, that such an operation would be considered elective, like a dick implant, or a sex change...But as long as the tax payers are on the hook, money is no object...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 09:24 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

Wonder if he used a human donor.
A pig would be more appropriate...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 09:27 am
@dlowan,
If you really wanted to advertize against organ donations, you would give one to Cheney... Why would anyone want to keep that thing alive longer than its appointed time... I can understand why he does not want to face his maker and have to justify his actions; but what can he do at this point to correct his life???
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 10:00 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

If you really wanted to advertize against organ donations, you would give one to Cheney... Why would anyone want to keep that thing alive longer than its appointed time... I can understand why he does not want to face his maker and have to justify his actions; but what can he do at this point to correct his life???

If the the justice system worked we might take comfort in keeping him alive long enouugh to convict him.
Fido

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 10:15 am
@MMarciano,
MMarciano wrote:

A heart transplant is not something I'd choose to make light of. I wish him a speedy recovery and good health but I do feel sorry for the pig.
Kiss my hairy ass; pleeze!!! If anyone deserves to die it is him, and this is not his first transplant... This is the first one you have heard about... So, I ask you: How many human beings have to die to keep that diseased pig alive??? I save my sorrow for those who must pay for it, which is you and me, and the poor person who lost their life to spare his...
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 10:17 am
@parados,
Quote:
Was Cheney too old for heart transplant?

I wondered about that also.

I think it depends on the person's over-all health, both physical and cognitive, in deciding whether someone over 70 is an appropriate candidate for an organ transplant. If the transplant can potentially provide them with another 7 or 8 years of a decent quality of life, which is possible with a heart transplant at that age, I wouldn't arbitrarily turn them down in favor of a much younger candidate. And Cheney is responsible and aware and conscientious enough to be able to maintain the careful diet, and exercise, and medication regime he's going to be required to follow.

One thing that enabled Cheney to survive in condition to merit a heart transplant was the left ventricular assist device, or mechanical pump, he received in 2010, because that maintained an adequate blood supply to his other vital organs. So, improved medical technology has helped to make it more feasible to consider heart transplants in older patients because their general health can be better maintained, and Cheney has had access to excellent medical care for a very long time.

John McCain was the last Republican nominee for President, at the age of 72, and if someone is considered as a serious candidate for the highest office in the land at that age, they should certainly be considered an appropriate candidate for an organ transplant.

I think these things have to be decided on a case by case basis.

Ed Koch, the former mayor of New York City, underwent quadruple cardiac by-pass surgery plus an aortic heart valve replacement, a few years ago, at the age of 84. While not in the same category as an organ transplant, which involves a limited supply of organs, at the time I wondered about providing such aggressive, and medically costly, treatment to a person of that age. But Ed Koch, who's still active and bouncing around, was apparently a very good candidate for the procedures which were life-extending and improved his quality of life. That might not be true for most people who are 84.

Cheney waited his turn on an organ donor list, so I have no problem with his receiving his heart transplant. Even in a much younger person, such transplants do not always result in complete or uncomplicated success--over one half of heart transplant patients face one episode of rejection in their lives, and there are risks of malignancies from the anti-rejection drugs and of kidney failure from the immuno-suppressive drugs, that must be taken for the rest of the recipient's life, among other complications. And some younger recipients have required a second heart transplant.

What I would like to see is everyone who needs them having access to the sort of exhorbitantly expensive medical treatments that Cheney has had available to him. We need to have affordible medical insurance, with adequate coverage for catastrophic conditions, available to everyone. That concerns me more than arbitrary age limits on organ transplants.
Fido

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 10:17 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
I wish him a speedy recovery as well.

I can only imagine that comments such as these are way tongue in cheek.

Or that more will be forthcoming with expressions of sorrow for Hitler, Pol Pot, Stalin and the like.
How does one recover from inhumanity but with worse inhumanity???
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 10:24 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Quote:
Slamming Obamacare, Cheney said Obama has "enacted a program that a great many people are very worried about. And that there's a lot of support out there for the effort to repeal that health care package."

Quote:
Since the first heart transplant was performed by the South African surgeon Christiian Barnard in 1967, the operation has become common, though it remains an arduous, risky and costly procedure. Most patients stay in the hospital for about a month after surgery, and recent studies estimate that first-year costs for a heart transplant and follow-up care are close to $1 million.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/25/us/politics/dick-cheney-recovering-after-getting-a-new-heart.html?hp
firefly wrote:
Maybe this transplant will help Cheney to have a heart, and support universal health care coverage, and higher caps on medical coverage, so others might be able to afford the cost of the life saving surgery, and all of the other care and treatments, that he has had access to.
Maybe it will NOT move him to support obama's USURPATIONS of power,
in defiance of the Constitution that intimidate people to buy insurance against their will.

David
You should not blame all the failures of the health care bill on Mr. Obama... That was the best the republicans would allow him, and it was too much at that... It went a short way toward getting people their due, but then it charged them for it... People would rather live in misery feeling they do not deserve it than live well with people they feel deserve worse...

People are not rational, and living without democracy does not encourage rationality, and once you have built society up to a fever of frustration all you need to do is point them at the supposed cause of the suffering and set them loose...America has found its enemy, because the republicans have shown them theirs, and it is America...
Fido

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 10:26 am
@raprap,
raprap wrote:

Probably not a human heart. Somehow an acceptable heart for Cheney would have to come from a Jackal.

Rap
No; a vulture living on death would be a more suitable donnor... Jackals at least hunt some, and live by their skill...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 10:30 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
He is among my favorite people.

Surprise, surprise, Om. Is he ahead or behind slimy Joe McCarthy?
It goes to show that to david, any thing that walks on two legs is a people... Fog Horn Leghorn is likely a demigod to Mr. d...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 10:41 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Cheney has been involved in deep depravity for at least 30 years. They should reopen Spandau Prison for him and many of his cronies.

I agree, which makes a great jumping off point for talking about how broken our "justice" system is, and what we might do to fix it. Just be clear, I dont have a problem with Cheney humor, my bitch is that so many people believe that there should be different rules for different folks, that their claims off allegiance to equality and diversity are bold faced lies.
The SOB is a psychopath, and can demand death, encourage death, and expect death with out the least regard for what suffering humanity may think on the subject, and attack all of our rights to disagree with him, or to have any part in our commonwealth... He is not alone...

Psychopaths often are attracted to positions from which they can destroy humanity without consequences; but that is every reason to end such positions of power for good, to give people only limited authority, and force them to consult with the people...

I don't have different rules for different people... I expect people to be human beings to have rights, and when you advocate for the deaths of many when death is clearly the enemy of all of humanity, and cannot even manage a little of remourse, then your death is deserved, and not enough to undo the damage your life has done... I do not blame Cheney in the least for wanting to stay alive... If you do not fear God you must fear death...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 10:48 am
@parados,
Yes, and for a breast implant too... He's made a deal with the devil, and he won't die until he says: Enough; I have caused enough death, pain, and destruction..
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 11:53 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

Quote:
Slamming Obamacare, Cheney said Obama has "enacted a program that a great many people are very worried about. And that there's a lot of support out there for the effort to repeal that health care package."

Quote:
Since the first heart transplant was performed by the South African surgeon Christiian Barnard in 1967, the operation has become common, though it remains an arduous, risky and costly procedure. Most patients stay in the hospital for about a month after surgery, and recent studies estimate that first-year costs for a heart transplant and follow-up care are close to $1 million.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/25/us/politics/dick-cheney-recovering-after-getting-a-new-heart.html?hp
firefly wrote:
Maybe this transplant will help Cheney to have a heart, and support universal health care coverage, and higher caps on medical coverage, so others might be able to afford the cost of the life saving surgery, and all of the other care and treatments, that he has had access to.
Maybe it will NOT move him to support obama's USURPATIONS of power,
in defiance of the Constitution that intimidate people to buy insurance against their will.

David
You should not blame all the failures of the health care bill on Mr. Obama... That was the best the republicans would allow him, and it was too much at that... It went a short way toward getting people their due, but then it charged them for it... People would rather live in misery feeling they do not deserve it than live well with people they feel deserve worse...

People are not rational, and living without democracy does not encourage rationality, and once you have built society up to a fever of frustration all you need to do is point them at the supposed cause of the suffering and set them loose...America has found its enemy, because the republicans have shown them theirs, and it is America...
My silence in the face of your demented bloviations
does not represent acquiescence, Fido.