Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 06:23 pm
Hey guys (and gals if there are any) this is kinda my introduction/first question on the forums. I'm a 27 year old pastor from Ohio, lookin to buy my first gun. The tricky part is, I'm a lefty. And I was curious if there were any other lefties that could point me in the right direction. Is a right handed gun (or ambi for that matter) hard to get used to? Or is it better to just find a left handed gun? I've been looking at the beretta px-4 storm 9mm...it seems like a pretty solid gun. I haven't shot it yet but lookin to go to the gun shops soon. If anyone has any suggestions for a lefty or even a first time gun buyer, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys.

Fido

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 06:30 pm
@ThePackinPreacher,
Buy a pop gun, sinner; if your squirt gun won't work.. did you miss that little commandment about thou, meaning you personally, shall not kill? If you say you believe let your action reflect your faith.. forgive them and let them do their worst... what is that balanced against your eternal reward?
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 06:33 pm
@ThePackinPreacher,
Are there any more wolves out there looking for a flock?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 06:40 pm
@ThePackinPreacher,
Is there scriptural support for concealed carry?

welcome to a2k...
Fido

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 06:49 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

welcome to a2k...
there is some support for turning the other cheek, but it got a little unpleasant for the guy who preached that
0 Replies

ThePackinPreacher

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 07:04 pm
hahahaha wow. i didn't expect that kind of response...but whatever. i believe it says don't murder...at least that's how i translate it. we frown on the whole climbing the clock tower and picking people off in the street...but defending your family against a guy breaking into your house to steal your stuff while your two little children are in the house is another thing. i also didn't say i'd be killing anyone. a well placed shot to the leg will keep them subdued until the police arrive...also, i will be teaching my daughter that a rapist is NOT someone to "turn the other cheek" to...if ya get me. i will be teaching her the age old lesson of double tapping.
not sure if there's biblical principal for a CC...but then again, they didn't have guns to worry about when jesus was walkin around, did they?
chai2

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 07:18 pm
@ThePackinPreacher,
ThePackinPreacher wrote:

hahahaha wow. i didn't expect that kind of response...

You ain't seen nothin' yet.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 10:13 pm
@ThePackinPreacher,
If you can find a dedicated piece in a left hand version that is acceptable to you in other respects, get it even if it costs a bit more. There are some with ambidexterous safeties, which should be second choice. The magazine release will quite like still be on the left as favored by right handed shooters. Also, most of them will eject casings to the right, which is a distinct advantage to a right handed shooter. If you use it left handed, there is a fair chance you'll get a very hot piece of brass inside your shirt. It will be a memorable occasion.

Is a revolver out of the question? Reloading will be awkward, but excluding imaginary senarios, you are unlikely to need to reload.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 10:58 pm
@ThePackinPreacher,
ThePackinPreacher wrote:
Hey guys (and gals if there are any) this is kinda my introduction/first question on the forums.
I'm a 27 year old pastor from Ohio, lookin to buy my first gun.
WELCOME to the forum, pastor!
27 years r too long to buy your first gun.
I got my first one when I was 8; a .38 revolver. O, well; better late than never.

ThePackinPreacher wrote:
The tricky part is, I'm a lefty.
I 'm a righty; I voted for Barry Goldwater & Ronald Reagan.

ThePackinPreacher wrote:
And I was curious if there were any other lefties that could point me in the right direction.
Foresake your evil ways and vote conservative Republican.

ThePackinPreacher wrote:
Is a right handed gun (or ambi for that matter) hard to get used to?
No.

ThePackinPreacher wrote:
Or is it better to just find a left handed gun? I've been looking at the beretta px-4 storm 9mm...it seems like a pretty solid gun. I haven't shot it yet but lookin to go to the gun shops soon. If anyone has any suggestions for a lefty or even a first time gun buyer, it would be greatly appreciated.Thanks guys.
I suggest that u forget automatics; thay jam too much.
Almost all accidental discharges happen to pistols.
In the immortal words of John Dillenger:
" 2 things that shud never be trusted
are the word of a district attorney and an automatic pistol."

Another consideration is that if u employ your gun defensively,
out in the world somewhere, and u survive after dispatching
a criminal predator, possibly u might deem it the better part
of prudence to leave the general area. If u get involved with police,
it is possible that u will incur too many $1,OOOs of dollars
in legal expenses, even if u win, both civil and criminal litigation.

With a revolver, when u leave after defensive use, your shells remain
inside your gun
and revolvers r much more mechanically reliable.
My own personal choice is a 2 inch .44 special revolver,
loaded with hollowpoints, to put the brakes on inside the target,
in an effort to avoid overpenetration and to optimize energy-dump.
Pistols r tediously more high maintenance, with the need to rotate
your magazines, to relieve pressure on your follower spring.
Sometimes the magazines fall out during use. I 've seen that.
Revolvers r relatively trouble-free.
The Taurus Model 445 (ideally in stainless steel mirror) is my own preference:
http://www.proguns.com/images/used-guns/usedguns247-904/278taurus445.jpg
U shud work out with it as much as possible
to become accustomed to it and to enhance proficiency.

I counsel attention to 1 more thing:
give your consideration (in this and in EVERYTHING)
to asking yourself: after doing THIS, what happens next?
Where do I stand?? Reason out your optimal strategy b4
the facts actually confront u.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 11:15 pm
@ThePackinPreacher,
Preacher,
since u r new to this forum,
lemme advise u that quite a few times
Fido has admitted to being in a poor state of mental health for multiple reasons.

Consider his assertions accordingly.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 11:31 pm
@ThePackinPreacher,
ThePackinPreacher wrote:
hahahaha wow. i didn't expect that kind of response...but whatever.
i believe it says don't murder...at least that's how i translate it.
Of course; if we did not kill animals, nor wheat, nor corn,
then we 'd kill ourselves from starvation.
In fact, I found a Jewish rabbi, and he confirmed that translation,
as to MURDER, not killing. Otherwise, we coud not even cut down a tree, nor pick a flower.

ThePackinPreacher wrote:
we frown on the whole climbing the clock tower and picking people off in the street...but defending your family against a guy breaking into your house to steal your stuff while your two little children are in the house is another thing. i also didn't say i'd be killing anyone. a well placed shot to the leg will keep them subdued until the police arrive...
I guess that 's OK,
if u can convince him not to rush at u
and to keep his legs still. I suspect that a double tap
in the pelvic girdle 'd slow him down. Thay don't like to be shot there.
Thay think it brings bad luck.

ThePackinPreacher wrote:
also, i will be teaching my daughter that a rapist is NOT someone to "turn the other cheek" to...if ya get me.
i will be teaching her the age old lesson of double tapping.
not sure if there's biblical principal for a CC...but then again,
they didn't have guns to worry about when jesus was walkin around, did they?
Jesus said that if u don't own a sword,
u better buy one. Luke 22:36
In my opinion, that extrapolates to a .44 special revolver
loaded with hollowpointed slugs, in stainless steel mirror (especially for night use).

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 11:37 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

welcome to a2k...
Exposed carry is OK, too. Luke 22:36

David
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 07:00 am
Dave's in heaven.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 07:50 am
@ThePackinPreacher,
ThePackinPreacher wrote:

hahahaha wow. i didn't expect that kind of response...but whatever. i believe it says don't murder...at least that's how i translate it. we frown on the whole climbing the clock tower and picking people off in the street...but defending your family against a guy breaking into your house to steal your stuff while your two little children are in the house is another thing. i also didn't say i'd be killing anyone. a well placed shot to the leg will keep them subdued until the police arrive...also, i will be teaching my daughter that a rapist is NOT someone to "turn the other cheek" to...if ya get me. i will be teaching her the age old lesson of double tapping.
not sure if there's biblical principal for a CC...but then again, they didn't have guns to worry about when jesus was walkin around, did they?
The most certain proof that an act is unjust is the attempt to justify it... All just acts justify themselves... Now; you have something another wants bad enough to take??? Give it to him... Does he envy you your life because you rejoice in your poverty??? Share your life with him... Consider what the Muslims say: If you spare one life, it is as thought you have spared all of humanity... Spare humanity...

You ask God for mercy??? First show mercy to your fellows... Death is the common enemy of all of humanity, and I am certain there are many seeking life eternal who do not appreciate the life they have got... Value all life, but not so much that you will take life to have life... If you believe in God you must fear God, and not fear death; and you may see that in this, the Muslims make better Christians than the Christians, because they know the devil takes many forms, and when a person is putting his new car, or his television set, or his money, or even his own children before him and bowing down before them, and making them first and God last; then he is a sinner though he is no worse than any around him...

And don't let me malign you without objections... I am at least as much a sinner as you and perhaps worse, because I know what is right without some preacher telling me so, and yet I do not always do what is right... As I told my neighbor when he wanted to become a deputy: to strap on a gun every day, and say: Today I may take a life that no one can give but God is the definition of madness..I cannot consider it though I have often considered it when I was young ... And for what?? What made me so afraid of death that I would premeditate the destruction of another human being???

To see some one you love die is enough to wrench a cry of anguish from even the most sullen throat... Job's wife advised him to Curse God and Die, but he loved God, and hated evil, and though he lost all of his children his complaint was only of the unfairness of it all, and with life comes unfairness...

One of mine killed a man over a trunk load of beer... He had suffered many break-ins, and though he was left free, he was marked by it like Cain, -as are all human beings who find they have killed for reasons too slight to consider... In fact, the young man this old man killed was not the one who had been breaking into his store, and was that weekend home from basic training...Property can be replaced... The lives of your children will be replaced with lives more beautiful than you can imagine; if you believe... Have some faith...

Not one of us alive would not strike out in anger at one injuring those we love... Do not consider your revenge until it is required... Consider how you might prevent the situation from ever occuring... It is possible that if you accept God, and the poverty that attends the service of ones fellow human beings- for your family -as for yourself, that you family would hate you, and leave you alone... I promise you that you will find a family in human kind if your family by blood rejects you; yet no honors await but the glory of heaven is yours...

You know that if you beg for those without the voice to beg, and if you plead for justice as an essential element of any happy life and every happy society, that you will never be welcomed among those with something who want more...It is better to be cursed, and have the dog set on you, and be driven from place to place like a scourge than to see people in want- while without care and in silence... It is better to be loved by God and hated by your fellow man for the good you do and must do -if you believe you will be judged, and not by the same measure as others, but according to your understanding, which should be greater since greater has been your contemplation of the Almighty...

Jesus had no family values... Nothing he would kill for... His family thought him mad...He said: let the dead bury the dead... He promised to break families apart... Consider that there is no half way in the service of God... Save while your salt has savor... Do not hide your light under a bushel... Leave the thought of guns to others... Forgive your enemies and leave to God the destructions of life's weeds... Peace!
0 Replies