Does "and further to study" sound natural in English?

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 09:11 am

Context:

The long-term goal of this project is to identify projection-specific biomarker for VTA dopamine neurons and further to study behavioral responses to stress by
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 2,368 • Replies: 20
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
PUNKEY

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 09:20 am
goal / is / to identify and to study

what do you want the word "further" to mean?
oristarA

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 09:37 am
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

goal / is / to identify and to study

what do you want the word "further" to mean?

Objective To investigate XXX, and further to study YYY in such patients.

Sounds natural?

I have not yet known how to express "and further to study" in other way. I used "and further studying", which sounds tilted and unnatural.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 01:47 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

Context:

The long-term goal of this project is to identify projection-specific biomarker for VTA dopamine neurons and further to study behavioral responses to stress by

The long-term goal of this project is to identify projection specific biomarker for VTA dopamine neurons and to further study behavioral responses to stress.

My rewrite sounds more natural, and I believe it carries the same meaning.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 03:48 pm
and further to study behavioral responses , , , = and later on to study . . .

and to study further behavioral responses . . . = to study additional behavioral responses.
l
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 04:51 pm
@oristarA,

Quote:
The long-term goal of this project is to identify projection-specific biomarker for VTA dopamine neurons and further to study behavioral responses to stress by...

Yes, it's good and quite correct.

"biomarker" on its own looks a bit odd. Would "a biomarker" or "biomarkers" be better?
0 Replies

JTT
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 06:46 pm
@oristarA,
This might help, Ori.

The long-term goal of this project is to identify projection-specific biomarkers for VTA dopamine neurons and further, to study behavioral responses to stress by
oristarA

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 10:46 pm
Thank you all.

I like "...and further, to study..." most, which sounds absolutely typical in golden Standard English.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 01:14 am
@JTT,

I thought of that, and then rejected it because the comma changes the meaning subtly.
But it's helpful nevertheless.
oristarA

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 01:51 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

I thought of that, and then rejected it because the comma changes the meaning subtly.
But it's helpful nevertheless.

Nuance is vital in the present stage of my learning English.
So please, McTag, post what difference in nuance you've found.
McTag

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 02:21 am
@oristarA,

I'm going off to work now, so I'll deal with that later today.

(JTT will know what I mean, I'm sure.)
proofreadmyessay

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 03:24 am
@oristarA,
According to me, further means the any action happen from the current situation.
oristarA

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 07:46 am
@proofreadmyessay,
proofreadmyessay wrote:

According to me, further means the any action happen from the current situation.

Thanks.

But what is the difference between "The long-term goal of this project is to identify xxx and further, to study yyy..." and "The long-term goal of this project is to identify xxx, and further to study yyy..."?

I'd like to know the nuance there.
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 12:40 pm
@oristarA,
The difference between the first and second sentences is how the word "further" is being used.

In the first sentence, the word "further" can be read as "what's more," or "additionally."

In the second it seems to mean "to study more in depth."

I think the second phrase could be better put by splitting the infinitive "to study" and inserting the adjective "further:" "and to further study," if that's the sense that you are trying to convey.

P.S. I'm sure JTT is just tickled that you've described his suggestion as " golden Standard English"!
McTag

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 04:19 pm
@McTag,

Too late now, I'll come back to this tomorrow, God willing and if'n the creek don't rise.
oristarA

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 11:15 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

The difference between the first and second sentences is how the word "further" is being used.

In the first sentence, the word "further" can be read as "what's more," or "additionally."

In the second it seems to mean "to study more in depth."

I think the second phrase could be better put by splitting the infinitive "to study" and inserting the adjective "further:" "and to further study," if that's the sense that you are trying to convey.

P.S. I'm sure JTT is just tickled that you've described his suggestion as " golden Standard English"!

Excellent!

Thank you InfraBlue.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 11:16 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Too late now, I'll come back to this tomorrow, God willing and if'n the creek don't rise.

Failed to understand "if'n the creek don't rise." What does it mean?
McTag

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 11:58 pm
@oristarA,

It's an attempt at a "folksy" expression from America, meaning "if circumstances don't prevent me from doing it".
If a creek rises, if a stream becomes swollen with rain, the road may become blocked.

McTag

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 12:15 am
@oristarA,

1....and further to study behavioural responses
2....and further, to study behavioural responses

Bear in mind that I said the meaning difference is subtle.

In 1, I'm going to study behavioural responses some more
In 2, I may not limit myself to that alone, and I may not have started doing it yet.
oristarA

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 08:34 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

It's an attempt at a "folksy" expression from America, meaning "if circumstances don't prevent me from doing it".
If a creek rises, if a stream becomes swollen with rain, the road may become blocked.

What is interesting is that the content of "if'n" can be so rich.
0 Replies