Why does an atheist have to lie to theist about his/her atheism in order to be elected into office?

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 08:07 am
Like the title reads why does an atheist have to lie to theists about his/her atheism in order to be elected into office? Is it because some theist can not handle truth or is it because they think atheist are not capable of treating people with respect? What is it that keeps you, "If you are a theist from not wanting to elect an atheist into office?

izzythepush

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 08:09 am
@reasoning logic,
Have you sought counselling for your need to constantly promote your rather simplistic form of atheism? Maybe you're the one who can't handle the truth.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 08:11 am
@izzythepush,
Troll alert.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 08:14 am
@reasoning logic,
That's remarkably honest of you. That's a good place to start, now think to yourself why you need to proseletyse.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 08:22 am
@izzythepush,
Izzy when you try to add value you can but when you don't try you come across as stupid.
I am not saying you are stupid, what I am saying is that your behavior seems very stupid.

Quote:
That's a good place to start, now think to yourself why you need to proseletyse.

How do you see me trying to change someones opinion by asking questions?
Ceili

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 08:31 am
They don't in Canada.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 08:37 am
@Ceili,
Thanks for letting me know that but I would think that they would be similar as they are here. I can only guess that some theist might elect an atheist but the numbers would be very low in the US. Are you saying that atheism is not such such a big issue in Canada when it comes to elected officials?
Ceili

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 08:42 am
@reasoning logic,
No, religion isn't. The average canuck couldn't tell you if their MP, MLA or City counselor is a believer or not, or what religion they are if they are a believer. It's only important if the elected official wants it to be, not the other way around.
Just because the USA is your reality doesn't mean it's mine or that other countries follow your path.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 08:48 am
@Ceili,
Quote:
Just because the USA is your reality doesn't mean it's mine or that other countries follow your path.

I do realize that places are a lot different than here but I thought "that" religious view was universal. I wonder how many more places around the globe share Canada's perspective.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 09:49 am
@Ceili,
or australia, the current prime minister is and atheist, and not a native born citizen either, something i never understood about the US

i'm not saying that governor arnold s. would be a great president, but is it right that he's denied the chance because he's only lived here for half his life (probably slightly longer, actually)
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 09:54 am
@Ceili,
not just religion, most canadians probably don't know the political affiliation of their mayor or local city councilors, the other day a local mayor phoned into a talk show, he was decrying something the provincial liberal government was doing, and he said, "as most of you know, i'm a liberal", and i thought, really, i wonder if most do

we see a lot of amercian tv being near the border, and even in local election spots you'll see them talk about there federal affiliations, here that's almost never the case, you can, however, probably guess by their policies
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 10:05 am
@reasoning logic,
In my opinion, here in the U.S. it is due, in large measure, to a great degree of the population subscribing to the United States of America as being "an exceptional nation," and that is due to God having a plan for the United States beyond any plan He might have for the entire world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_exceptionalism

It is tied to some versions of Protestantism apparently. So, if one is a theist, one is more likely to subscribe to American exceptionalism than an atheist, I would think. I might have stated this all sort of clumsily; however, I think you get the drift of what I'm alluding to.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 10:32 am
@reasoning logic,
You constantly try to bait threads so you can ridicule anyone who is not of the same belief than you. Your use of the word 'truth,' marks you out as an Evangelist. You also have problems seeing things from an international viewpoint, as Canadian posters have pointed out.

Over here the leader of the Labour party Ed Milliband is an atheist, and the Tory prime minister David Cameron is currently championing gay marriage, and putting himself at odds with a lot of churches. There actually is a religious party, but the only time I've ever seen them on the ballot paper is during European elections, which are over a large constituency and are PR.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 10:39 am
@izzythepush,
Sounds like you live in a type of atheist heaven. You should be happy that religion does not have such a stranglehold over the minds of the people where you live.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 10:54 am
@reasoning logic,
It's certainly got a stranglehold over your mind.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 11:03 am
@izzythepush,
Izzy do you ever try not to respond sociopathically?

If I were you I would at least try and wear a mask because it would help you to come across as a decent person.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 11:48 am
@reasoning logic,
That's your answer to everything isn't it, label every thing you don't like as being sociopathic or psychopathic, over emotional or drunken.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 12:48 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
That's your answer to everything isn't it, label every thing you don't like as being sociopathic or psychopathic, over emotional or drunken.

The problem arises when everything you do like is sociopathic or psychopathic, over emotional or drunken. Surly there may be someone you admire that has these same traits and they may laugh with you at times but I would question if these traits are profitable for you in the long run.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 12:59 pm
@reasoning logic,
No, it's a handy mental trick that allows you to stay living in a fool's paradise.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 01:04 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
No, it's a handy mental trick that allows you to stay living in a fool's paradise.

Are you saying that you are not happy living in that almost atheist heaven of yours?