Why does an atheist have to lie to theist about his/her atheism in order to be elected into office?

izzythepush

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 01:06 pm
@reasoning logic,
I wouldn't describe the UK as any type of heaven at the moment, not with the ConDems in charge.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 01:19 pm
@izzythepush,
We have plenty of religious programming. This is very popular.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 02:18 pm
Wouldn't an atheist heaven be oxymoron?
izzythepush

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 02:35 pm
@Ceili,
You'd think so, I wonder what RL thinks of C of E bishops sitting in The House Of Lords.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 03:20 pm
@izzythepush,
I really do not know enough about The House Of Lords Izzy, "to comment on it.

From what I see, there is always something similar to nepotism no mater if you have theist or atheist running things. Everyone wants to help their friends out and that can cause conflicts of interest.
dlowan

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 04:13 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Sounds like you live in a type of atheist heaven. You should be happy that religion does not have such a stranglehold over the minds of the people where you live.

We are.
dlowan

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 07:08 pm
@dlowan,
This is a serious question. Is there a western democracy other than the USA where atheism would be a problem?

Would it be problematic in south and central America?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2012 07:45 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

...You also have problems seeing things from an international viewpoint, as Canadian posters have pointed out...

Don't forget me Your Lordship. However, why should I feel compelled to see anything from an international viewpoint? I am only a citizen of the U.S.A., not a citizen of the world. That means I should not see things easily from any perspective other the perspective of a citizen of the U.S.A.? How would I acquire this international perspective? Watch the BBC news? Watch Deutsche Welle news? Watch French news? Join a universal religion?

Let's be realistic. I played cowboys and Indians as a child with my two holster toy cap pistols. When I didn't finish everything on my plate, as a child, my mother admonished me, "Children are still starving in Europe; finish your food." Dinah Shore sang, "See the U.S.A. in a Chevrolet..."

I yam what I yam, I'm Popeye the sailor man...
Foofie

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2012 07:48 am
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

Correct, I believe; unless "heaven" was used metaphorically. But then it should have been stated, "metaphorically an atheist heaven."

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2012 07:54 am
@reasoning logic,
The theistic voter might well deem him a pervert.
Voters wanna be represented by those who share their own filosofy.

That 's Y.

David
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2012 09:09 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
However, why should I feel compelled to see anything from an international viewpoint?

I'm not trying to compel you to do anything, you're obviously quite happy staring up your own arse.
Foofie

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 01:38 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Foofie wrote:
However, why should I feel compelled to see anything from an international viewpoint?

I'm not trying to compel you to do anything, you're obviously quite happy staring up your own arse.

I am "quite happy" to be on my side of "the pond,"
izzythepush

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 02:01 pm
@Foofie,
So why do expect to be taken seriously? Your posts a so ridiculouly parochial, that they don't really offer any insight into American thinking that I can't get from an episode of Hannah Montana.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 02:13 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
Are you saying that atheism is not such such a big issue in Canada when it comes to elected officials?

Religion is generally not an issue in Canada the way it is in the U.S.

It would be quite odd if someone running for elected office here even mentioned what their religious beliefs were.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 02:18 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
From what I see, there is always something similar to nepotism no mater if you have theist or atheist running things. Everyone wants to help their friends out and that can cause conflicts of interest.

What does friendship have to do with religion?

If you're suggesting friendship is religion-based, how would politicians in countries like Canada find their friends? secret handshakes or something similar?
ehBeth

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 02:19 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Sounds like you live in a type of atheist heaven.

howsabout just calling it a great place to live?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 11:13 pm
@Foofie,
Nobody is compelling you to think internationally....but given the increasing inter-twinedness of the world, you have no chance of understanding events that have a lot of impact on you and your country unless you use the amazing resources available to you and do your best to become able to do so.

You remind me of the metaphor of the blind people trying to find out the nature of an elephant, grabbing the bit nearest to them, and declaring the elephant to be like this little piece that they are touching.

Only you are choosing to waer a blindfold, not blind.....you just refuse to take the blindfold off, and appear to be proud of this fact.

Enjoy the long thin elephant with a tuft of hair on one end. But remember, it's likely to crap on you.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 11:24 pm
@Foofie,
Ceili wrote:
Foofie wrote:
Correct, I believe; unless "heaven" was used metaphorically.
But then it should have been stated, "metaphorically an atheist heaven."
Do u believe in the continuation of conscious life, in an afterlife ?
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 02:53 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
What does friendship have to do with religion?

I was not implying that friendship has anything to do with religion but One might think that it would be easier to lead some to the lord that you befriend than one you made an enemy.

When I was talking about similar behaviors to nepotism, I was just pointing out that people will try and help those out who help them out and sometimes there can be a conflict of interest.
djjd62

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 03:45 pm
@reasoning logic,
interesting, a friend who tried to lead me to the lord would soon be an enemy