Another dumb question

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 10:58 am
When I am composing a post such as this often an entire phrase is suddenly shifted from one place to another for no apparent reason whereupon I then have to go look for it so I can highlight and drag it back to where it was. In some 2 decades I’ve never encountered such a glitch in any other such web site forum so I am wondering what I’m doing wrong

Oh and while you’re addressing my q you might also address the glitch that prevents scrolling in an edit window

Thanks again all for your patience and assistance
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,537 • Replies: 28

Setanta

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 12:03 pm
Jesus ******* wept . . . why don't you just start threads on the subjects which interest you, deal with what you allege are glitches, and just get on with it? You spend all your time whining about how this place doesn't rise to your standards.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 12:30 pm
@Setanta,

Quote:
You spend all your time whining about how this place doesn't rise to your standards.
Don’t be angry Set, they’re only suggestions, I mean no harm. In fact I believe a?k programmers might already have adopted a couple of them
roger

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 12:35 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

When I am composing a post such as this often an entire phrase is suddenly shifted from one place to another for no apparent reason whereupon I then have to go look for it so I can highlight and drag it back to where it was.

I have never seen anything of the sort. Possibly the glitch will show up if I stay here long enough, and make enough posts.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 12:43 pm
@roger,
Yea Rog, likely it might. However I suspect the apparent “glitch” is merely an unaccustomed editing feature which I inadvertently on account of my poor typesmanship access with a misplaced keystroke, but thanks
Joe Nation

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 01:07 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
on account of my poor typesmanship access with a misplaced keystroke,

That's what I was thinking.

Joe(I have the same fingers)Nation
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 01:51 pm
@dalehileman,
Have you taken into the account all these glitches might be your own? Choice of browser used, type of mouse used, typing ability, the ability to use the appropriate copy and paste shortcut keys as opposed to the cut and paste shortcut keys?

No one else seemingly is having these types of problems as you are.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 01:55 pm
@tsarstepan,
you may be right.

maybe he should Mark that down somewheres...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 02:04 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
In some 2 decades I’ve never encountered such a glitch in any other such web site forum so I am wondering what I’m doing wrong

I believe that what you are doing wrong is attempting to post at A2k.
roger

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 02:10 pm
@ehBeth,
Not a bit of it. I just need more experience posting, and a little while to get used to the forum conventions.
chai2

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 02:35 pm
Years ago I knew this guy who would come to me with literally every paycheck he recevied and tell me somehow "the time clock messed up" in some way and his check was wrong. It was amazing how many different ways the clock malfunctioned when he would use it, as compared to the 30 other people who clocked in and out daily.
The result was multiple missing punches.

Finally, I told him he must come to me whenever he was clocking in/out so I could observe him clocking in an out.

Amazingly, after 2 days of watching him correctly punch in/out, the time clock never again conspired to pay him incorrectly.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 03:14 pm
@roger,
you do?
roger

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 03:37 pm
@ehBeth,
Since I haven't been able to duplicate the problem, it seems I do.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 03:47 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
In fact I believe a?k programmers might already have adopted a couple of them

Really? which ones have they adopted?
dalehileman

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 04:44 pm
@Ragman,
Well Rog, formerly editing links had to be accessed by clicking on a Show BB Code Editor whereas now they appear immediately by default, for which many thanks

However this improvement wasn’t extended to the Ask-Start window requiring one to click on the Close BBCode Editor link so there’s another possible change you might ruminate upon
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 05:12 pm
@dalehileman,
That isn't a programming change. The display of the BBCode editor is toggled off and on by the user (when they click on the green lettered link) and remains that way until clicked again.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 06:29 pm
@Butrflynet,
But perhaps you misunderstand. Default BB used to be closed, but now it’s open, eliminating the need to click on the link every time
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 07:20 pm
@dalehileman,
It is not me that misunderstands.

You described exactly what I wrote above.

The default BBCode is closed. Once you click on it to open the editing menu, it remains that way for every session until you click on it again to close it. In other words, once you've toggled it "on" there is no need to click on it again unless you wish to close the BBCode box.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 07:51 am
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
it remains that way for every session until you click on it again to close it
But for the first couple of weeks after I signed up it didn’t work that way for me. Upon accessing edit, it was closed every time so I had to click on the BB link to open it. Only a couple of days ago did I begin finding it open every time. Clearly, either there was a glitch in the software that has since been corrected or the BB can inadvertently be closed by some other supposedly unrelated keyclick which for some obscure reason in the meantime I haven’t found necessary

But thanks gain for your valiant attempts to straighten me out
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 09:52 am
@dalehileman,
No.
We don't perceive everything that is occurring around us.

But, don't let that stop you from thinking that you do.

Joe(welcome to A2K)Nation