How can I begin to detatch from a person?

mavis26

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 04:45 pm
I've been dating someone for only 6 months and they have changed for the worse in the past month or two. The last 3 times I've seen him he's been high as a kite, I've felt snubbed after I've been supportive and shown up to his musical shows, and lately the time he makes for me is too late at night for me to be able to function the next day. I've seen so many good qualities in this person and he's incredibly smart and creative, but the change I've seen in him leaves me no choice but to back off emotionally. I'm in my 30's but I haven't had to do this in over 10 years since I was in a pretty healthy long-term relationship for all of my 20's. I want to back off but I'm having so much trouble getting there. My stomach is sick a lot of the time and I have heartburn, literally. I can't wait to get past this feeling, but how can I change my thinking when I've been so affected by this person?

Mame

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 04:52 pm
@mavis26,
Just realize he's not for you. You don't have the same interests or habits and he's gradually revealed who he is. If you met him this way, I'm sure you'd have walked away. 6 months is nothing in terms of time - walk away.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 11:19 pm
@mavis26,
Attachments fade in multiple ways :
- time
- prolonged or repetitive hurt
Now it seems obvious that neither of these are an attractive option to you.

Quicker ways to deal with the removal of an attachment involve forming other attachments -whether human, animal, passions, activities, or otherwise. So the new attachment doesn't have to be another person.

The point of non human attachments (ie. hobbies, exercise, sports, reading etc) is to give you something else to think about (other than him), and something to do that you enjoy (other than him)

Friends are very good for helping - especially if you have a number of them, they make you laugh, they go out with you etc.

Work is good - it gives you something to focus on. Actually anything that can require your complete attention is very good.

Basically, your much of people's 'attachment' to specific individuals is habitual (eg constantly thinking of him for little or no reason), and the best way to break one habit is to replace it with a different habit.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 11:28 am
Geez - what's his hold on you? Is he cute? has money? good sex?
or are you attracted to the needy, bad boy, druggy, artist types? Do you feel sorry for him - or do you think you can change him into something you want?

Is he similar to the person in your past relationship?

I think that unless you look at why you stay with him, you are never going to really be able to break it off. That requires you to do a real good self analysis, probably with the help of a woman counselor.

0 Replies

lovetolove

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 10:54 am
Hey, i think almost the same as everybody, this person changed because its not exactly feeling the same thing as was in the past. You should really go away from this relationship. Sometimes we take to long to realize that we're not exaclty made for each other. Valorize and love your self and then you will see if you have or not to stay with this guy that is making so bad to you. We have hundreds of people in the world, you don't need a guy that is making bad to you.
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 03:49 pm
@mavis26,
Mavis, don't fear your age. You say you are in your 30's and had a long term relatoinship for all of your 20's... Dating should be fun but you don't just cling onto "a person", rather someone who is compatible with you and he is not.

Maybe, also as you are in your 30's and was in a long term relationship, there is a sense of adventure wanted in your life for now.. .Given he is a musician and on drugs, calling you late at night, you have seen this as an adventure and that part of you is holding on but you are also feeling that you are not in a relationship, rather it's sex so you are having trouble coming to terms with staying, rightly so. Unless you enter a relationship based on this and this alone, if it presents itself and it's not what you are after, or feel used, move on. You can still gain adventure and you are still young, with someone who wants to wine, dine and be fine with you Smile
0 Replies

Bary

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2012 02:31 am
@mavis26,
I think you need to talk to this man seriously! Ask him-or so or I'm leaving!
0 Replies