Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 08:42 am
p.cm. =?
pbk. = International Standard Book Number; ISBN?
pt. one = ?
alk. = ?

Context:

http://www.picupload.us/images/49600000_.jpg

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
MontereyJack
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 09:00 am
It looks like the book was published in two volumes. The first ISBN number is the reference number for a paperback (pbk) book containing the first part of the novel, which is printed on alkaline paper (i.e. cheap paper with a high alkaline content which will yellow and decay sooner). The second ISBN number refers to the second part of the novel, also on alkaline paper. This is probably a rather cheaply produced edition.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 09:01 am
I'm guessing it stands for PaperBack Book.

Joe(any other guesses, folks?)Nation
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 09:14 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
pbk. = International Standard Book Number; ISBN?

The pbk part I'm not sure about ... Joe might be right, though

But the ISBN number is the international classification of all published books. Every book has it's own reference number, in other words.

I think that the 2 separate ISBNs refer to part 1 & part 2 of the same book title, published in two separate volumes.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 09:57 am
alk. is an abbreviation for alkaline.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 04:16 pm

Hey Monterey Jack already answered this.
MontereyJack

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 04:17 pm
thank you, McT.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 09:27 pm
Thank you guys.

Two questions remain:

p.cm. =?

pt. one = ?
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 09:41 pm
pt. one is part one, as answered above. the novel was published in two parts in two volumes. I would suspect that p. which is the common abbreviation for page, and cm, which is the common abbreviation for centimeters would refer respectively to the number of pages in the book(s), and their size in centimeters (if you look at booksellers online, they will usually give the size of the books--in inches usually in non-metric countries and probably in centimeters in metric ones). That information is not supplied for these books.

Here's an example from my favorite online remainder bookseller. Notice the information they include on the book.

Quote:
THE GREAT GARDENS OF CHINA: History, Concepts, Techniques .
By Fang Xiaofeng

Beginning with an introduction to Chinese beliefs and the historical development of garden design, this volume discusses the basic aesthetics and landscaping elements (architecture, rock stacking, waterscapes, plants, borders, and scenic routes) used in Chinese garden design. The author also describes specific gardens, from famed world cultural heritage sites like the Summer Palace in Beijing and the gardens of Suzhou, to the lesser known.

Hardbound.
265 color photos.
255 pages
Published by Monacelli
Size(inches) 9 x 12
Item # 2469871
ISBN 1580933033
ISBN13 9781580933032
Current Pub at $60.00 Your Price $39.95
oristarA

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 11:27 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

pt. one is part one, as answered above. the novel was published in two parts in two volumes. I would suspect that p. which is the common abbreviation for page, and cm, which is the common abbreviation for centimeters would refer respectively to the number of pages in the book(s), and their size in centimeters (if you look at booksellers online, they will usually give the size of the books--in inches usually in non-metric countries and probably in centimeters in metric ones). That information is not supplied for these books.

Here's an example from my favorite online remainder bookseller. Notice the information they include on the book.

Quote:
THE GREAT GARDENS OF CHINA: History, Concepts, Techniques .
By Fang Xiaofeng

Beginning with an introduction to Chinese beliefs and the historical development of garden design, this volume discusses the basic aesthetics and landscaping elements (architecture, rock stacking, waterscapes, plants, borders, and scenic routes) used in Chinese garden design. The author also describes specific gardens, from famed world cultural heritage sites like the Summer Palace in Beijing and the gardens of Suzhou, to the lesser known.

Hardbound.
265 color photos.
255 pages
Published by Monacelli
Size(inches) 9 x 12
Item # 2469871
ISBN 1580933033
ISBN13 9781580933032
Current Pub at $60.00 Your Price $39.95

Excellent!
Gracias.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 12:25 am
de nada.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 02:08 am
@McTag,
Quote:
Hey Monterey Jack already answered this.

Yes, he had, McTag. And very well, too.

How could I possibly have missed that?
Posting in the wee small hours, that's how. Neutral

Sorry, MJ.
0 Replies