Is trying to Get Rid of the term "Retard" a Useless Effort?

djjd62

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 08:11 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

djjd62 wrote:

whether you use a word or term, or you don't use it. trying to get rid of any word or term, is, for the lack of a better word or term, retarded

in my opinion

Would you go so far as to say that it is wrong to try and make people feel bad about their choice to use words that you don't like?

i think it's stupid, but then again that's people for you
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 09:17 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
i much prefer Cuntservatives, it especially seems fitting with Newt in the race this year

I much prefer this newt Smile to that Newt Mad .

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-5U2Sp3iqn8c/TyGvTENsfEI/AAAAAAAAAUo/4ssqZRY9CA0/s1600/800px-Notophthalmus_viridescensPCCA20040816-3983A.jpg
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 09:14 pm
Quote:
Is trying to Get Rid of the term "Retard" a Useless Effort?
If someone wants to describe someone else as being stupid,
"retard" can be effectively employed to that goal.

Stupid is equally good.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 09:41 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Stupid is equally good

They dont mean the same thing, stupid is of varying degrees and can be because of either brain malfunction or laziness, where as retard means only brain malfunction of a significant order. Retard is more specific. Precise use of language is always better than the muddled expression that comes from vague words...this you will recall is why I am so militantly opposed the the massive expansion of the definition of rape that we have seen driven down our throats by the feminists. . Language is a spectacularly important tool in developing and expanding civilization, we shoot ourselves in the foot when we make poor use of language on purpose, and the excuse that we use for doing it (queasiness masquerading as enlightened politics) does not justify the harm that is done.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 12:37 am
@hawkeye10,
R u accusing ME of being politically correct ?????????
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 01:38 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

R u accusing ME of being politically correct ?????????

No, the PC police believes that other words should be used in place of "retard" because the other words are not as offensive to them. I believe that you are ignorant of the difference between "retard" and "stupid", and that it is this ignorance that accounts for you thinking that one can replace the other.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 01:52 am
@hawkeye10,
Well, I 'm aware that to retard
means to slow down, decelerate, and retarded means slown down.

It is applied in a mental sense.

I deemed the difference between that and stupid to be insignificant.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 06:33 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
No, the PC police believes that other words should be used in place of "retard" because the other words are not as offensive to them.

There's no such thing as the PC police. You're not a hero setting out to make a stand, you're a nasty piece of work trying to be as offensive as possible. It's not the "PC police," who are offended, it's less fortunate individuals and their family members who are upset by your deliberate use of perjorative language.

I've not doubt you believe your own horseshit, but when you repackage nazi ideology in a slightly more palatable format, the only person you're fooling is yourself.

Your ridiculous assertions about standing up for freedom against the encroaching powers of a police state hold no water whatsover. Police states don't tend to bother themselves that much with paedophiles, drunk drivers, and sad inadequates who need to beat women in order to get an erection. They target human rights workers, journalists and trade union officials. In fact, someone like you would fare very well in a police state. Your ridiculous stance against paper tigers, would make you an ideal opposition leader in pseudo elections, that lend the illusion of democracy and stop people dealing with the real injustices in the world.

A lot of dictators were quite comfortable with the sexual abuse of children, you'd be well suited to Peronist Argentina.

Quote:
As 1954 drew to a close, Perón unveiled reforms far more controversial to the normally conservative Argentine public, the legalization of divorce and of prostitution. The Roman Catholic Church's Argentine leaders, whose support of Perón's government had been steadily waning since the advent of the Eva Perón Foundation, were now open antagonists of the man they called "the tyrant." Though much of Argentina's media had, since 1950, been either controlled or monitored by the administration, lurid pieces on his ongoing relationship with an underage girl named Nélida "Nelly" Rivas, something Perón never denied, filled the gossip pages.Pressed by reporters on whether his supposed new paramour was, as the magazines claimed, thirteen years of age, the witty, fifty-nine year-old Perón responded that he was "not superstitious."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Per%C3%B3n
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 06:33 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Language is a spectacularly important tool in developing and expanding civilization, we shoot ourselves in the foot when we make poor use of language on purpose,

That's utter nonsense, Hawkeye.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 07:08 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

That's utter nonsense, Hawkeye.

Which part, and why?
JTT

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 07:36 pm
@hawkeye10,
Your pronouncement on language.

djjd62

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 07:39 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
Your pronouncement on language.

i like to pronouncement it lan-gew-age
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 08:04 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

You're a right sneaky bastard Dave, and no mistake. If we were having a conversation on tying bits of string, you'd insist on talking about nautical miles.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 11:34 pm
@izzythepush,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
izzythepush wrote:
You're a right sneaky bastard Dave, and no mistake.
U just found out now ?
( . . . but my parents were married . . . )

izzythepush wrote:
If we were having a conversation on tying bits of string,
you'd insist on talking about nautical miles.
Well, . . . I have an open mind.

David
izzythepush

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 04:18 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
U just found out now ?

I knew you'd say something like that.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 05:45 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
izzythepush wrote:
If we were having a conversation on tying bits of string,
you'd insist on talking about nautical miles.
Well, . . . I have an open mind.

Maybe, in practice you're an obscurantist. I picture you in court, defending your client, Mincer McFadden, an evil murderer caught red-handed in the process of mincing up his victims. You would simply ignore the evidence, and hand the jury some pecan cookies baked by the defendant early on that day, and imploring the jury to listen to their hearts. "How could someone accused of such heinous crimes, have baked such delicious cookies, which obviously are baked with love?"
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 02:52 am
@izzythepush,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
U just found out now ?
izzythepush wrote:
I knew you'd say something like that.
The English can be prescient.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 02:59 am
@izzythepush,
I 've never tried those approaches, Izzy.
I can see where there might be some major controversies about them.

Most adverse counsel woud object to having the jury corrupted.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 04:19 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I only accused you of trying out such techniques in my mind's eye. If you could get away with it, I'm sure you would.
0 Replies