0

Experienced racism. share

IZZYis

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2018 02:13 am
Hi, everyone. Without saying your race or hating on any other race, I would like to hear some stories on any kind of discrimination you have gone through because of your race. How you felt. how you reacted. does it still affect you. is that an important part of your life, in other words, did that help shape you into the person you are today. how did you cope, afterwards. just some ideas to get you guys going.

Thank you
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 755 • Replies: 1

Aubidobi

1  
Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2018 02:18 am
As a white female trying to understand empathy love and equality I am sharing conflicting thoughts about my childhood. I know I have ingrained prejudice and I fight to understand and become more awakened. This is a thought I wrote out and I still can't come to peace with in the aftermath of death....

The moment you realise your beloved great uncle that was more a father or grandfather to you than just an uncle, used to announce his presence with a car horn playing Dixie. As a child I just thought it was just a fancy fun horn.

How do you reconcile your personal attachment to racists and Bigots ?!

Another faint memory . He and your father (approximate age 8) telling you black people smell differently and to just stay away. Me thinking 6 year old friend Rachel didn't smell weird and sniffing her a recess to be sure. The confusion. I see her as Rachel.

A childhood of abuse... but as an adult in awakening, I realise one of the few adults that treated me with kindness and unconditional love were in fact bigot racists.
How can good people be bigot racists? How can a bigot racist be good people?
How can a person make the choice of bigotry and racism?
How can I come to terms with my love of a bigot racist?
It feels like a betrayal. A betrayal to life and truth. My beloved uncle Ray was a bigot racist .

I was holding his hand and my cheek was pressed against his as his last bit of life slipped away . I felt him die. He died.
But now after a childhood of love I realise he was a racist.

My whole being morns his loss. My whole being applauds one less bigot racist.

Coming to terms is difficult.