Is it a myth that most or all college girls are bi?

Gred14

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 03:55 pm
Or that most are bi or bicurious and have been with girls? I've heard so often that when girls get to college most or all of them will end up having at least one lesbian relationship and that will like girls. The media also seems to support this saying it's weird for a girl to not have been bi during college( I don't remember the name of the show). I'm a guy and not into bi girls or girl on girl action(no offense to bi girls at all or bicurious girls), at least not for dating or sexual relationships. hearing all this about college girls gets me anxious. I'm starting college in the winter and I want to know if all or most the girls I see there are going to be into girls or trying it. Is this just a myth or it's true? Can I still find a girl who is straight in college and not trying it? How many are still out there?

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 04:01 pm
@Gred14,
Quote:
The media also seems to support this saying it's weird for a girl to not have been bi during college( I don't remember the name of the show).

Don't believe everything you hear on TV shows.

The least you should be concerned with, upon entering college, is whether or not you'll be able to find a girl or counting how many girls might be available to you.
Gred14

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 04:06 pm
@Butrflynet,
Okay thanks!
ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 04:18 pm
@Gred14,
My impression is that many people experiment in college and out of college, out of curiosity. I'm sure it is not all, or even most people. Who told you all or most college girls are bi?
Gred14

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 04:22 pm
@ossobuco,
Guy friends
ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 04:24 pm
@Gred14,
Not to be mean, but they sound similarly ignorant. You will meet many different people, that is half the richness of getting to go to college. Edit - I'll change that to uninformed.
sozobe

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 04:28 pm
@Gred14,
I don't condone it, but I definitely knew girls who were straight who said they were lesbian as a standard "no" move when guys they weren't interested were hitting on them.

I agree with osso that college coincides with a period of exploration for a lot of people, so I'd believe that there are more women who identify as bi in college than before or afterwards. ("LUG," or "Lesbian Until Graduation," is one known phenomenon.)

Still, it's not at the "most or all" level, by a long shot.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 04:55 pm
@Gred14,
Quote:
I've heard so often that when girls get to college most or all of them will end up having at least one lesbian relationship and that will like girls.

I think this is true only in so far as it is a fantasy among young college males. Of all the things to worry about concerning college I would recommend you put this very low on your list.
Ragman

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 05:53 pm
@Gred14,
So high school boys are giving you their benefit of expert opinions on what college girls are doing in bed? Some of them are hearing that because college girls make up a story when high school boys hit on them. Why would you listen to them?

That is sensationalistic crap and the media fans those flames because it sells papers, books and brings young horn dogs to their TV shows.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 10:45 pm
@ossobuco,
I had a girlfriend once that swore that all girls were bi or curious about it.

I don't quite agree - I think it has to do with the bell curve.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 11:03 pm
Is it a myth that most or all college girls are bi?

Unfortunately, yes.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 01:05 am
@Gred14,
Quote:
Psychologist John Buss estimates that for most of human history, perhaps 2% of women have been lesbian or bisexual (see note 1, below). Not any more. Recent surveys of teenage girls and young women find that roughly 15% of young females today self-identify as lesbian or bisexual, compared with about 5% of young males who identify as gay or bisexual (see note 2, below).

As a physician and a psychologist, what I found missing in the noise surrounding the Constance McMillen story was any serious discussion of why a growing number of girls self-identify as lesbian or bisexual. Not that there's anything wrong with that, as Seinfeld might say. But why are young women today at least three times more likely than their brothers to identify as bisexual or homosexual? "I kissed a girl and I liked it," Katy Perry told us in her #1 hit single. Megan Fox, Lindsay Lohan, Lady Gaga, Anna Paquin, Angelina Jolie, Drew Barrymore - they all want us to know that they are bisexual. There is no comparable crowd of young male celebrities rushing to assure us that they go both ways. Imagine a young man singing "I kissed a boy and I liked it." Would that song reach #1 on the charts? Why not?

Why is it OK for girls to be bisexual or homosexual, but not boys?

Over the past seven years, I've posed this question to hundreds of teenagers and young adults across the United States. The most common answer I get isn't really an answer. "Girls kiss other girls at parties because guys like it," one teenage girl told me. "It makes the guys hoot and holler, so the girls do it again. They're just doing it for attention. It's not for real."

I point out, as gently as I can, that that response doesn't answer my question. Pretending to be lesbian or bisexual doesn't explain why a growing proportion of young women are lesbian or bisexual

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/sax-sex/201004/why-are-so-many-girls-lesbian-or-bisexual

This issue of why young women are increasingly engaging in homosexual activity is interesting, and is one that you will have great difficulty getting anyone to talk honestly about. There may be several reasons for this, one of them is that this is a natural response to the cultural message of "Men Suck!", and that sticking to girls for a bit gives them a lot of power of the market over guys as there are then more guys looking for girls than there are girls looking for guys.

I am very glad that I am not a young man today....
Gred14

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 04:17 am
@vikorr,
Was she bi herself?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 06:18 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
I am very glad that I am not a young man today....

mayhap the young girls feel the same Razz
Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 06:38 am
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:
Of all the things to worry about concerning college I would recommend you put this very low on your list.

Best answer . . .
Fido

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 06:52 am
@Gred14,
A Moeba bought a girl a drink at the bar, and when she found out who it was from, she waved, and said thanks... After a while, The Meoba walked up to the girl to say hello... She said: Thank you for the drink, but buying me that won't do you any good because I am a lesbian... The Moeba replied: Ya???... How are things is Beruit???
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 07:03 am
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

Quote:
The media also seems to support this saying it's weird for a girl to not have been bi during college( I don't remember the name of the show).

Don't believe everything you hear on TV shows.

The least you should be concerned with, upon entering college, is whether or not you'll be able to find a girl or counting how many girls might be available to you.
Really; don't worry about making the grade, and only worry about getting laid... That is my kind of college, because if it were not for bright people acting stupid, an old slow poke like myself would never have been able to get a decent score...

The challenge and the fun, for boys and girls alike, in college and everywhere is to winnow the chaf from the grain, and of course, to make certain you are not considered chaf... There are a lot of fish in the sea, and a lot that would make anyone a fine catch; but there is only one in the whole soup who smells like stake and mashed potatoes... Anyone can find the wrong one, but you have to be the right one to find the right one... And most young men have not given mating enough thought to do is with any sense... Marriage for the poor is a sign of growing up, and for the more affluent it is a sign of growing old, and the immature avoid it....
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 07:23 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Green Witch wrote:
Of all the things to worry about concerning college I would recommend you put this very low on your list.

Best answer . . .
Yas and no... I have always considered the score I got from girls to be worth more than a score from some crusty old renob...Human beings are like all the life on earth... We only have a matter of moments in which to grow, flower, breed, seed, and die... The tragedy of youth is not that boys crave girls; but that all give so little time to their natural drives and their consideration, and do not think of love as anything more than lust and drama when they could think of it as a twenty four hour a day and seven days a week intelligence test where they are always racing a clock, and never trusting to luck, and always risking getting caught...

Education and love are but two sides of the many headed coin of life... There is not one man in looking back that cannot say: I never had enough knowledge to be a good father, a good husband, a good lover, and a fast friend... To allow children to wander through life without a sense of will, or an understanding of the challenges they must prepare for is a crime oft commited and never justified... We certainly want the children of other people to run around like the girls and boys of France, but to let our own do so is stupid justified by our own ignorance...Kids never learn the facts of life anyway but the hardway, and that is because they are raised by parents who are still learning them...Young people should be raised by old people, and then they would have more moxie on the ball...
Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 08:55 am
@Fido,
Idiot . . .
Fido

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 09:02 am
@Setanta,
Yard bird... Ever meat a girl who said she was straight and available??? I've seen the way you hit on virtual suchi... I bet your idea of a girl needs inflation more than attention...