Marriage for homosexuals deemed constitutional in MA

littlek

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 08:49 pm
The topic of same-sexed marriages made news again today when the MA high court ruled that only marriage rights, and not just civil unions, would be constitutional to gays and lesbians.

I imagine that the final decision will come down to the voters as there is a push to ammend our state constitution to bar homosexuals from marriage.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,042 • Replies: 33
No top replies

fishin

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 08:52 pm
Feh, that ain't gonna happen. It'll take at least 2 years and probably closer to 3 to pass an amendment. Under the court's ruling gays can marry starting May 1st of this year.

Once the marriages start and have been in place for a year or two any amendment will just die on the vine.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 08:53 pm
Here's hoping.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 08:56 pm
I think that Civil Unions were the way to go.

They give all of the legal rights without forcing the issue in a divided nation that is about to have a crucial election.

The SJC is morally right, but it somehow seems like arguing over words may not be the best thing for Massachusetts, homosexual citizens or the nation at large.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 09:00 pm
I sort of agree ebrown. It'll force the issue to a head. May be a good thing, but may be a bad thing.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 09:01 pm
Initially, when massachusetts was founded in 1630, civil unions were the only kind of marriage available.The argument was that marriage was a contract and the church should have nothing to do with it which was the radical Protestant position at the time. The clergy however objected and the law was changed. I think in the 1640"s.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 09:12 pm
There wasn't an official marriage law in the UK till the mid-1850s. And it was only bought in because there were too many 'unlicensed' folks marrying Catholics (read 'the Irish') to Protestants.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 10:37 pm
How much does a priest/church get for a marriage? I mean, is it about the money?
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 12:12 am
It's about time that they allowed homosexuals to marry! What's the hold-up anyway?
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 12:39 am
The 14th amendment specifically states that no person shall be treated differently than any other.

Article XIV.
Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

So, consititutionally, G&L persons wanting to marry have the consitutional right to do so.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 01:25 am
Amen brother(or sister)!
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 01:27 am
I personally don't see the problem with it.

I couldn't care less what other people do.

Just so long as it doesn't hurt me or mine.

Then, I get upset.

Marry a dog, if you want. More power to ya.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 05:42 am
Turner_727
Quote:

Marry a dog, if you want.

I didn't know that you knew my first husband! Laughing
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 05:57 am
Why? Did he marry a dog?

- - - - - - - - - -

My own marriage is secure, it is valued, it endures. No number of other marriages can change that for the worse. Strong marriages can change our marriage for the better.

No amount of additional marriages could make my first marriage work.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 05:58 am
SealPoet- Just you wait. One day, when you are relaxing, when you least expect it......................................... Laughing
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 06:03 am
Leading with your chin, dear. Somebody had to take that shot...
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 09:31 am
Turner_727 wrote:
The 14th amendment specifically states that no person shall be treated differently than any other.

Article XIV.
Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

So, consititutionally, G&L persons wanting to marry have the consitutional right to do so.

The 14th Amendment isn't so clear cut. By your rationale the idea of parking spaces reserved for the handicapped would be unconstitutional for example.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 09:38 am
Quote:
Leading with your chin, dear. Somebody had to take that shot...

One must be careful around Sealpoet.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 11:14 am
One possible ramification is additional tourism and hospitality/entertainment dollars coming here. After all, if this is the one and only place to come to get married in the entire US, we may start to see folks flocking to Mass. to use our -
* catering halls
* caterers
* photographers
* hotels
* restaurants
* tuxedo and gown shops
* DJs and local bands
* airport and airport amenities
* train and bus stations and the local train and bus station amenities
* florists
etc.

Becoming the gay marriage capital of the US might actually help Massachusetts finally climb out of its economic funk.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 11:17 am
... not to mention all the religious folk coming up to protest. Those folk got to sleep and eat somewhere too!
0 Replies