Reality from the view point of theists

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 06:48 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Well, that essentially is saying: There is no GOD. And I acknowledge that "There is no GOD" is one of the two p0ssibilities that I see.

The other, of course, is: There is a GOD.

I envy the fact that you and so many others have resolved that one way or the other.

I haven't!

I am not saying that there is no God, I am only saying for the moment God is only a figment of my imagination in relationship to me. I have never seen God so all I can do is imagine a God. Now there are people out there that can say with certainty that their God is not a figment of their imagination.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 06:52 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
I am not saying that there is no God,

Yes you are. You're convinced that you're right, and you see it as your purpose in life, to ram your opinion down other people's throats.

Quote:
God is only a figment of our imagination

What you said is pretty unambiguous.
Setanta

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 06:56 am
He's trying to have his cake and eat it, too.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 07:01 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
God is only a figment of our imagination

If I was unable to imagine a God would I even have a God to consider? I would think my mind would be a blank in that area of thought

All I can do is imagine a God because no one has ever shown me a God nor has a God revealed himself to me in any way.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 07:02 am
@Setanta,
And tailoring his posts to suit his audience. When Frank criticises him he backtracks, when I do it he accuses me of being one of the godsquad.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 07:03 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
I would think my mind would be a blank in that area of thought

Nah, on second thoughts I'm not going to say anything.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 07:06 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
Now there are people out there that can say with certainty that their God is not a figment of their imagination.

Yup...there are--just as there are people out there who can say with certainty, "God is only a figment of our imagination."

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 07:06 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:

Nah, on second thoughts I'm not going to say anything.

That is usually what happens when you become perplexed.
Setanta

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 07:10 am
@izzythepush,
If you look at the opening post, it's a bait thead to begin with. He was havering even then, and it seemed clear to me that he'd shift with the windds. I didn't respond to this nonsense until someone else came along who had something interesting to say.
Setanta

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 07:10 am
@reasoning logic,
Whoosh ! ! !
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 07:16 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Yup...there are--just as there are people out there who can say with certainty, "God is only a figment of our imagination."

That quote was Directed at you. I was stating that me and you have God as a figment of our imagination. If you can prove that "your" God is something more than just that please provide that evidence. We can play with that figment of your imagination by introducing the right mixture of molecules to your brain and then you will be stating claims very similar to theists.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 07:29 am
@reasoning logic,
When it comes too questions of Gods, RL...I never deal in proofs. I NEVER ask people for proof that gods exist and I never ask people for proof that gods do not exist.

I often ask for evidence upon which they base a guess that gods exist...or upon which they base a guess that gods do not exist.

But never proof.

I am not arguing with you here, RL. I am just clarifying my position for you.

If there is a GOD (one of the two possibilities that I can imagine)--and if that GOD is a personal GOD (one of the two possibilities that I can imagine) it doesn't really matter if I "can prove it" or "provide evidence of it" or even if I am willing to acknowledge it as a possibility in any way...I have a personal relationship with that GOD no matter what.

Said another way: If there is a GOD and if that GOD has a "personal relationship" with me...it doesn't mean beans what I think, guess, or acknowledge...the personal relationship exists.

Once again, RL, not arguing with you...just clarifying where I am on this issue.

izzythepush

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 07:33 am
@Setanta,
He does it all the time, he's convinced he's right, that his version of reality is correct.

And another thing, if he thinks I'm going to talk about the time I had a vision of the blessed virgin Mary, and she commanded me to buy a new puncure repair kit, not less than six months before I cycled over a nail, he's got another think coming.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 07:38 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
If there is a GOD and if that GOD has a "personal relationship" with me...it doesn't mean beans what I think, guess, or acknowledge...the personal relationship exists.

OK let me get this straight, "you think that a God might be having a personal relationship with you but you may not be able to acknowledge it for some philosophical reason or another?
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 07:42 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
OK let me get this straight, "you think that a God might be having a personal relationship with you but you may not be able to acknowledge it for some philosophical reason or another?

That is not what I said there...and not what should be gotten from what I wrote.

There MAY BE a GOD.

That GOD MAY BE a personal GOD.

As a personal GOD...that GOD may have a personal relationship with me that I simply do not know about.

If that is the case...then a personal relationship exists whether I know about it or not or whether I acknowledge it or not.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 07:59 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
That is not what I said there...and not what should be gotten from what I wrote.

.it doesn't mean beans what I think, guess, or acknowledge...the personal relationship exists.

It sure seems close to me.

Quote:
There MAY BE a GOD.

That GOD MAY BE a personal GOD.

As a personal GOD...that GOD may have a personal relationship with me that I simply do not know about.

I am cool if you think that there may be Gods out there having personal relationships with you, that you are unaware of.

Quote:
If that is the case...then a personal relationship exists whether I know about it or not or whether I acknowledge it or not.

Seems as it could be real to me.

If I took out the God word and replaced it with other words, could they too be possibilities of being factual and if not, "what is this criteria that you will be using to legitimize the God but not the other words?

Example 1

There MAY BE a Devil.

That Devil MAY BE a personal Devil.

As a personal Devil...that Devil may have a personal relationship with me that I simply do not know about.

example 2

There MAY BE a unicorn.

That unicorn MAY BE a personal unicorn.

As a personal unicorn...that unicorn may have a personal relationship with me that I simply do not know about.

Setanta

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 08:11 am
@izzythepush,
Do you think RL is the one consistently voting down your posts? Or is that your buddy Buzz?
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 08:26 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
If I took out the God word and replaced it with other words, could they too be possibilities of being factual and if not, "what is this criteria that you will be using to legitimize the God but not the other words?

You seem to be having trouble understanding my position as stated. To start replacing and substituting would make things even worse. I suggest you do not do it.

But I am willing work with what we already have on board. Let's take it one step at a time.

There MAY BE a GOD.

Do you have any problem with that statement at all?

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 08:26 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Do you think RL is the one consistently voting down your posts? Or is that your buddy Buzz?

I vote some down vote some up and don't vote at all on most of them. but it seems to be more than one person voting Izzy down.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 08:30 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
There MAY BE a GOD.

Yes there may be a God.

Quote:
Do you have any problem with that statement at all?

I have no problem with that statement.
I have no problem with what you are saying and I agree with what you are saying. The only thing that I am saying is that we could use any other word and come to the same conclusion that you will come to with God.